Largest door speakers

:
Protege5
That you can cram in a p5?

I had the car a whole two days before I swapped the front door speakers to some MB Quart 5x7's and three weeks later.... I think I need some larger front door speakers. I have a 2003.5 (i think thats what it is) with the factory sub and the fronts just arn't producing enough low end / mid bass to have an even halfway-decent soundstage. I was wondering how many people have made brackets to fit 6x9's?

I'm wondering how deep of a spacer I can get away with before I hit the plastic on the inside of the door panel. I will be cutting the outline of the speaker out (the lip on the inside) if I need the clearance, which I probably will.

6x9's off the factory HU probably won't preform that well, but nothing a LOC and a small amp won't fix... unless I find a good deal on a 2din dvd / nav player before I get around to doing this.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. -- I'll love you forever if you have installed pictures with the door panel off =)

Uh...why not just do components up front...

5 1/4 or 6.5's

I don't think they are going to produce the quantity of midbass that I am looking for honestly. I have 5.25 phoenix gold components in my contour that are amped and dynamatted and they just don't have the lows that my friends rx8 has. Granted he has factory bose 9" door speakers, but still. I may check into the 6.5's.

Lows are for Subs...not door speakers...

To a point. I'm not talking about 45hz rumble in the doors, but I do want it to be balanced enough so it sounds like some of the lows are in front of you. After building up what I have in the contour I can honestly say I hate it. All treble up front and all bass out back. I'm probably going to go with a single 8 or single 10, maybe 150w rms for a rear sub, so I'd like to get as much out of the doors as possible.

Yea...you just have to balance out your system...what are you working with currently...what do you already have in there...what are you going for...

Yea...you just have to balance out your system...what are you working with currently...what do you already have in there...what are you going for...

Currently its stock aside from swapping the door speakers for the quarts. Factory tweeters are still there.

Where i'd like to go is a non-flashy good sounding system. For that I forsee:

7inch (ish) double din touch screen, like the AVIC-Z3
Front speaker component set (6x9 / 6.5 / 6.75 )
Rear speakers will probably get the quarts
8" or 10" sub where spare / sub is currently in a fiberglass box
Two amps:
-- one small monoblock for the sub (directed 250d or the like)
-- one 4 channel for the front doors, one channel for tweeters one for midbass drivers

run the rears of the dvd player since I don't really care too much about the rear soundstage as I hardly ever has passengers and can't see spending the money for the twice a month I carry co-workers to lunch.

What is your budget...

Also...if you do it right, from experience and what I have been told, you can use your rears for a fill in noise/midbass while of course the sub in the back will provide the lows...

For your highs/mids, a properly positioned tweeter/woofer setup in the front will give you all you need since it will most likely drown out the rear speakers...

What is your budget...

Also...if you do it right, from experience and what I have been told, you can use your rears for a fill in noise/midbass while of course the sub in the back will provide the lows...

For your highs, a properly positioned tweeter/woofer setup in the front will give you all you need since it will most likely drown out the rear speakers...

I'm hoping to go no more then 600$ for the door speakers and amps. I don't really have a budget for the dvd player since i'm still in the process of figuring out exactly what features I must have.

I'm watching all the local craiglists like a hawk for amps... I'm watching and waiting for good deals which is why the budget is so low.

I have the wire and tools with all the crimpers and heat shrinking so cost of one set of speakers and two amps should be it.

I'm hoping to go no more then 600$ for the door speakers and amps. I don't really have a budget for the dvd player since i'm still in the process of figuring out exactly what features I must have.

I'm watching all the local craiglists like a hawk for amps... I'm watching and waiting for good deals which is why the budget is so low.

I have the wire and tools with all the crimpers and heat shrinking so cost of one set of speakers and two amps should be it.

Not sure of your location, but are you local to any of the TWEETER Car/Home Audio stores...

As for the DVD player, it is not going to really do anything more than any other CD player will...

Also, $600 is a reasonable budget...

I have around $1700 retail in audio including no sub currently, but have only spent $350...I am also looking to stay in that range...

Just keep your eyes out...and make sure to buy QUALITY...you will be greatful you did it right the first time and don't have to fix your mistakes for piecing together a cheap system...

What do you mean by quality? That seems to vary depending on the forum I am on.

The fronts will be: Phoenix Gold, MB Quart or Polk.

The amps will be: JL, Fosgate, Xtant or Zapco (if i can find a good deal)

Those are good...I am just saying...for most people it is hard to put together a system for that cost with quality parts...

Where are you located...

Lancaster, PA.

All of this is going in

P1010177.jpg

As for the DVD player, it is not going to really do anything more than any other CD player will...

Well what I mean by features are dvd vs SD card vs HD navigation. Do I want the 7" screen or like a 5.8. How about high speed ipod adapter... ability to play ipod video over the screen... shuffle all for the ipod. HD Radio!

Things like that.

I am going to start drawing up what I want to wire tomorrow then start hunting for parts.

eclipse are really good amps...i love my 4 ch and i got it for 100 bucks....if you still have the stock HU you're not gonna enjoy any new speakers for their full potential

IME, 8" is probably the max without completely refabricating the whole trim panel.

P1010390.jpg

P1010479.jpg

There's a cover that goes over the midbass so it's not so ugly.

I have some MB Quart Reference component speakers in the front of my Pro...I messed up and purchased the 5x7s but soon I'll be getting the 6.5 Reference. I've heard them in a friends P5 and they sounded better...more bass. With my setup just about all the low end comes from the rear. Subs ftw.

Here is the door off, Second Skin Damplifier on inner and outer door skin, you can see the 5x7 > 6.5" adapter I made in the bottom, its now covered in SS Damplifier
photo.jpg

I managed to fit kicker 8" ssmb's in mine, unfortunately I managed to blow them when trying to max-out a new amp setup, so it's back to measely 5-1/4" for mids at the moment. I'll find pics for you in a bit. It's REALLY snug, and does, indeed take a bit of trimming and/or cleverness.

Here we go with the linkage...
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php/?t=122183
HI btw, I've not posted inhere forlike 2 years I think. GUess they stripped me of my mod privileges...

Last edited:
Back