Laptop problem

tweakingmsp

:
2003.5 MazdaSPEED Protege
I have a Dell Inspiron 9300. Last night everything was working fine until I watched a video on youtube. After that, my internet stopped working and now I don't have any sound. I shut the laptop off last night and turned it on this evening. Internet works fine but still no sound. If I plug headphones into it the sound works, but unplug the headphones and no sound. Does anybody know what the problem is or have any suggestions on what I should do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you need any other help with laptops or computers I'm sure I can help. I do this crap on the side.

Edit: You might have to go into your registry and change permissions to get it to work.

Last edited:
np, btw I have no idea what causes this. It hasn't appeared back up on my gf laptop which is good. She is also running vista home.

well i downloaded the k-lite codec pack, and clicked the fix sound thing. it ran real quick and i still don't have sound. I don't know if it matters but i'm running the windows media center edition.

how comfortable are you with messing witht he registry? Did you get an error message when doing the codec tweak tool?

Edit: I forget if I had to reboot or not so try that if you haven't.

Last edited:
I downloaded the full codec pack. i rebooted the laptop and still no sound. i'm not very comfortably in the registry, i'm not good with computers.

oh and i did run the tweak tool and got nothing.

I downloaded the full codec pack. i rebooted the laptop and still no sound. i'm not very comfortably in the registry, i'm not good with computers.

Don't blame you at all one bit. You can seriously mess stuff up if you dont know what your doing. You never mentioned if you recieved an error messag while using the tweak tool or not. So i am going to assume you did.

do this..

start / run/ regedit

Now browse to the following

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

now here is where your on your own... I'm at work so I cant double check things for ya.

Change permissions on that driver32 "folder" so the tweak tool can modify your reg for ya. I belieave you can just right click and goto properties or something again i'm at work.

Edit: If your not comfortable then leave it alone but all i want you to do is change permissions on the "folder" to allow changes.

Edit 2: I forgot to mention after you successfully changed the permissions re-run the tweak tool I had to change permissions in the reg on my gf laptop as well.

Last edited:
i didn't get no errors when i ran the tweak tool. I just went into the registry and everything was allowed. i tried the tweak tool again but this time it won't let me click on the no sound option. i downloaded and installed the audio driver from dell but that didn't help either. i rebooted the system also.

Werid... im sure you have a ton of stuff in the driver32 "folder" now as to earlier you only had a few right.(it was that was on my gf laptop). it wont let you click the sound thing due to the fix already beeen applied.

i don't know how much stuff was in the driver32 folder before. i did just notice that it won't let me allow the "CREATOR OWNER" in the driver32. i click allow and apply and it kinda flashed and the allow box is unchecked again.

Sounds like a driver issue.

Identifying Drivers
If you experience a problem with any device, identify whether the driver is the source of your

problem and, if necessary, update the driver.

Click the Start button and click Control Panel.

Under Pick a Category, click Performance and Maintenance.

Click System.

In the System Properties window, click the Hardware tab.

Click Device Manager.

Scroll down the list to see if any device has an exclamation point (a yellow circle with a [!]) on

the device icon.

If an exclamation point is next to the device name, you may need to reinstall the driver or

install a new driver. See the following subsection, "Reinstalling Drivers."

Reinstalling Drivers
NOTICE:

The Dell Support website at support.dell.com provides approved drivers for Dell computers.

If you install drivers obtained from other sources, your computer might not work correctly.
You can reinstall drivers in the following ways:
Use Windows XP Device Driver Rollback.

Reinstall drivers manually.

Solving Problems

Using Windows XP Device Driver Rollback
If a problem occurs on your computer after you install or update a driver, use Windows XP

Device Driver Rollback to replace the driver with the previously installed version.

Click the Start button and click Control Panel.

Under Pick a Category, click Performance and Maintenance.

Click System.

In the System Properties window, click the Hardware tab.

Click Device Manager.

Right-click the device for which the new driver was installed and click Properties.

Click the Drivers tab.

Click Roll Back Driver.

If Device Driver Rollback does not resolve the problem, then use System Restore to return your

computer to the operating state that existed before you installed the new driver. See "Using

Microsoft Windows XP System Restore" on page 76.

Manually Reinstalling Drivers

After copying the required driver files to your hard drive, click the Start button and right-click

My Computer

Click Properties.

Click the Hardware tab and click Device Manager.

Double-click the type of device for which you are installing the driver (for example, Modems

or

Infrared devices).

Double-click the name of the device for which you are installing the driver.

Click the Driver tab and click Update Driver.

Click Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) and click Next.

Click Browse and browse to the location to which you previously copied the driver files.

When the name of the appropriate driver appears, click Next.
10 Click Finish and restart your computer.

Thanks for that Kain. But unfortunately under the device manager everything showed good, no exclamation marks. So I'm guessing the driver is good.

Thanks for that Kain. But unfortunately under the device manager everything showed good, no exclamation marks. So I'm guessing the driver is good.

Device Manager doesn't need to show a conflict for you to have bad drivers. That's why manufacturers constantly update their driver libraries because there are always bugs (in your case, YouTube) that cause incompatibilities. I would see if your soundcard has the most up-to-date drivers; if not, install them. Might also need a BIOS update, but unlikely.

Back