Knowing the defects, what made you buy a cx-5 still?

My first CX5 had a few minor things but I knew that buying a first model year wasn't going to be totally issue free. They were all minor issues with the worst being a motor mount that transferred too much NVH during cold conditions. That motor mount was replaced under warranty. I'm on my second CX5 now with only a minor occasional rattle in the A pillar to speak of. The reason I bought the CX5 was for the fantastic powertrain. My most recent tank yielded 34.81 MPG with the 2.5! This + this engine has very good low end torque for a 4 cylinder with an as tested 0-60 MPH in 7.5 seconds. I also love this transmission and the way it operates like an automated manual but without the downfalls of an automated manual. I bought a Toyota Tundra new that had an exhaust manifold crack, a driveshaft lose its balance weights, and in the end the frame rotted away. Most of my issues happened within the 60,000 mile warranty. Still I loved driving that truck every day for 10 years. Even the mighty king of reliability (Toyota) isn't without its issues.

I can say the Skyactiv engine and transmission is no gimmick and the very good fuel economy without the power penalty is very real at least with the 2.5. Even the 2.0 I had was no slouch in city driving. I would say my only gripe with Mazda is their lack of sound deadening material. I find both my Mazda5 and CX5 to be a bit noisy especially on the highway for the CX5.

Thanks to everyone who's actually contributing with their input and ideas. This is just a friendly question and discussion. It seems like the consensus is that the positives outweigh the negatives (select few). I do understand that the vibrating issues and the cracked window only happen to a select few so I apologize if i made it seem like it affected every CX-5.

I have not had any problems with my 14 gt except the usb issue, which is not major to me. The car is fun to drive and if the only reason you didn't buy one is mirror shake or hood shake that can be fixed its your loss.

CX5 MT Sport - almost two years and 29,000+ miles

I don't know if my hood is shaking - honestly I cannot tell. Is it visible?

Driver side mirror does vibrate a bit but it's no biggie really. At some point I'll get into the stealership for the service bulletins.

I am on my 4th CX-5, and If I had to get one again I'd do it.

I would wait and go with 2015, or late 2014 (2014.5?) model.

The 1st year, 2013 model, was just a test ground for Mazda - 2.0 Engine, mirror shake, hood shake, body panel rattles, seat rattles (especially back seats) and few others.

The 2.0 to 2.5 engine option right after 1st year is the indication that people did not really like weak 2.0L.
I had it in MT and it was just adequate in MT. It was just a disaster in AT, IMO. It is very pronounced especially after driving 2.5L version.

Now, we have 2014 AWD and 2014.5 AWD and like them both. Lesson learned here, skip at least the 1st year of new model/technology.

Th

Thanks to everyone who's actually contributing with their input and ideas. This is just a friendly question and discussion. It seems like the consensus is that the positives outweigh the negatives (select few). I do understand that the vibrating issues and the cracked window only happen to a select few so I apologize if i made it seem like it affected every CX-5.

I'm curious, since it sounds like you are in the market for a CUV since you were considering purchasing a CX5 what other vehicles are you considering and or leaning toward purchasing and why?

Defects is pretty funny. I don't characterize this car at all as having defects. The hood issue has always baffled me. My hood has always shook, since the day I took it for a test drive. I never even though about it, nor cared. The side mirrors as well, although I can see why that would be irritating for some, more so than the hood. This must be a first new car for some of you, or something. If you consider the CX-5 as having defects, I advise you to take a look beyond this forum, and into the Ford, VW, Chevy forums, etc..Overall, the CX-5 has a few very minor anomalies. Definitely not deal breakers.

I bought my CX-5 the second week they hit US shores, week of March 5, 2012. Clean slate, but I expected some teething issues, of course, being new from the ground up. It's got nearly 34K miles now, and it has been good to me. Though, it is developing some very wonky issues lately, which need addressing. At least, my wife is complaining. I haven't driven it in quite some time.

Either way, I still consider the CX-5 an excellent purchase in 2012 and 2013, and while I feel the infotainment namely, is falling grossly behind, it is still in the top 3 CUVs on the road, no doubt.

Just curious on why you bought your cx-5 after knowing there's window cracking issues as well as the whole vibrating side mirrors. I test drove a 15 with the new mirrors and knowing that these issues were prevalent with no recall or fix in the near future I just couldn't pull the trigger. It was an awesome car to drive, but I couldn't justify the price with these potential issues lying around. I understand that no car is perfect and they all have their own kinks that need to be worked out (tpms light - crv, oil consumption - forester, etc...) so in essence what sold you the car despite these issues?

I have a 2014.5 Touring and have zero hood shake and minimal mirror shake that I wouldn't not have noticed if not for this forum. Its good to know about the windshield crack issue and easily avoided with a $50 deductible. Cheaper aftermarket windshields will be available soon.

All cars have their issues and most don't even know what they are, and that is where this forum helps. The CX-5 doesn't have any major issues do don't understand your choice.

For me the top in class; power, efficiency, handling, tow capacity, and most high tech engine available were the reasons to buy. There is nothing else out there that can match it.

The 1st year, 2013 model, was just a test ground for Mazda - 2.0 Engine, mirror shake, hood shake, body panel rattles, seat rattles (especially back seats) and few others.

The 2.0 to 2.5 engine option right after 1st year is the indication that people did not really like weak 2.0L.

This is the kind of forum chatter that I put to bed after a test drive. The 2013 CX-5 AWD touring model I test drove did not have one of those issues. So I bought one three months later. Guess what. After 16,000 miles on my 2013, no shakes, rattles or any other of the issues bandied about here as if they were endemic to the model - just a solid, predictable car.

Horsepower is a personal preference but it's true that many Americans either don't know how to use the upper RPM band when needed or are afraid of it as if it might damage the engine. My experience, coming from a 268 HP Volvo and a 292 HP F-150, was that the little AWD CX-5 was well matched to the responsive 2.0L four banger and six speed automatic transmission. Granted, it wouldn't be my choice as a high speed super-highway powerhouse but for hauling a full load of skiers up the mountain or commuting to work it works great with power to spare. And I'm loving the 32 plus MPG lifetime average fuel economy I'm seeing. I would rather have the extra range/economy of the 2.0L than the extra power of the 2.5L which would serve no real purpose to me since I rarely need all the power the 2.0L has to offer.

Neither version is fast in a sporting sense (at least not in terms of acceleration). For that I have motorcycles that are acceleration limited by front wheel lift. Cars are just cars -as long as they do not struggle to keep up with the traffic flow I'm happy. To put the 2.0L in perspective, the CX-5 easily feels more peppy than my F-150 with a V-8. It all depends on what level of performance you think you need. I have three motorcycles that can perform safe high speed passes effortlessly, passes that no production car can dream of.

Also, I don't think "test bed" is an accurate representation of the 2013 CX-5. This car was so well engineered and built from the get-go that it is more problem free than many other models nearing the ends of their platform lives. In fact, the 2013 doesn't have the USB issue that plagued later models.

Forum chatter tends to blow things out of proportion.

I'm curious, since it sounds like you are in the market for a CUV since you were considering purchasing a CX5 what other vehicles are you considering and or leaning toward purchasing and why?

Yeah, the cx-5 was my top choice before test driving and I was debating between the Santa Fe Sport and CRV. The CX-5 I test drove had the side mirror vibration and it was pretty annoying. I'm sure if I didn't read up on it, I probably wouldn't have noticed it. Guess it was my fault for reading too much and letting the little things scare me away haha. Anyways I couldn't pull the trigger knowing I would have to bring the car back in to fix it. All that got me thinking to the point of this thread.

Oh, the Santa Fe was not fun to drive, it was heavier, bad blind spots, and slow acceleration, and the CRV is a CRV.

Last edited:
If you are shopping compact crossover SUV's, and reliability/quality is a top concern, then the CX-5 is up with the top vehicles in this class (very good).

My early build model year 2013 has had only 2 warranty fixes related to dash rattle and hatch rattle, otherwise flawless.

No doubt the 2.0 produces only modest power (and best in class gas mileage too) and for those in North American market the feedback was a preference for more power which Mazda offered in model year 2014.

"Flaws". I haven't seen any of the hood issues nor mirrors on my 2014 Sport.

I have been driving VWs all my life. VWs have major DESIGN flaws in the drive train. I can handle the small issues on the CX-5.

No defects on my CX-5, 3,000 miles on it and love it! Are there some little things I wish were different, sure but that list is minor in comparison to all the positives.

Yeah, the cx-5 was my top choice before test driving and I was debating between the Santa Fe Sport and CRV. The CX-5 I test drove had the side mirror vibration and it was pretty annoying. I'm sure if I didn't read up on it, I probably wouldn't have noticed it. Guess it was my fault for reading too much and letting the little things scare me away haha. Anyways I couldn't pull the trigger knowing I would have to bring the car back in to fix it. All that got me thinking to the point of this thread.

Oh, the Santa Fe was not fun to drive, it was heavier, bad blind spots, and slow acceleration, and the CRV is a CRV.

For what it's worth I have put nearly 20,000 trouble free miles on my 2013 CX5, no issues whatsoever with the mirrors, hood, or windshield for that matter. I owned a subaru forester before and while it was a good vehicle the CX5 is head and shoulders above it IMO.

I would strongly recommend you take another test drive in a different CX5 to see if you have the same mirror vibration.

"Flaws". I haven't seen any of the hood issues nor mirrors on my 2014 Sport.

I have been driving VWs all my life. VWs have major DESIGN flaws in the drive train. I can handle the small issues on the CX-5.

Sing it brother. I'm coming from a Jetta Wagon with the 1.8 turbo and a 5 speed stick. Super fun to drive, great dynamics, etc., but good God almighty that thing cost me dearly. Not to mention all the little electrical gremlins, bits of the interior falling off, pealing plastic coatings, sagging bumper trim, etc.

I'll gladly trade a bit of acceleration and road hugging for a reliable, practical vehicle that's still a blast to drive. The stuff people are complaining about are what VW owners call "Tuesday."

Last edited:
For what it's worth I have put nearly 20,000 trouble free miles on my 2013 CX5, no issues whatsoever with the mirrors, hood, or windshield for that matter. I owned a subaru forester before and while it was a good vehicle the CX5 is head and shoulders above it IMO.

I would strongly recommend you take another test drive in a different CX5 to see if you have the same mirror vibration.

Before I bought mine I test drove four different cars, only one had any mirror shake, its very strange how some are affected.
I bought the car anyway.

What make me buy it?
I was narrowed down to the rav4 and the crv and cx5.
Called my insurance company and found cx5 was the cheapest to insure..hope I never need it but if in major crash..my knee stands less a chance of getting smushed or shattered

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I knew about the minor mirror shake, which my 2015 has but doesn't bother me so much. The cracked windshields...I'm still not convinced I should be pointing fingers at Mazda or their glass; I feel like much of it is just plain bad luck, and since there are fewer of us on forums than others, the smaller problems seem to be blown a bit out of proportion (though if it happened to me while the car was unattended, I might start to get more inquisitive).

I figure Toyota/Honda are the safe choice but they are there to please everyone, and the more people you try to please, the fewer of them will actually be pleased. Knowing that the CX-5 is still built entirely in Japan and is the first line to feature full Skyactiv tech was enough for me to give it the edge (plus it's a much more driver-centric ride than the other CUVs in my opinion).

That being said, I'm coming from two Toyotas - a '94 Previa minivan and a '97 Avalon sedan. The Mazda is a VAST improvement over those vehicles, and for once I actually enjoy driving again. I'm 6'6", about 300lbs, and this car was the most comfortable for me. Any minor gripes I personally had were outweighed by the positives after test driving it. Instead, I used those minor gripes as ways to get the dealerships to lower my final price. In the end I still much prefer it to the other options in this category.

The worst thing about buying new cars in my opinion? Getting over keeping it perfect! Ugh I have only had my car two weeks and just got done washing, sealing, and waxing my CX5. I need to get over this and just learn to enjoy my car and drive it!

Funny, I could have written this post. Meteor Grey Touring, I live in the Bay Area, currently obsessing over the paint and dreading the first ding. Soon to do the first big clean, seal and wax, and hoping I can soon just enjoy the ride.

Talk about bad luck.....bullseye crack in the 2nd week, and a small door ding in the 3rd week. I had the ding paintless dent repaired and you can't even tell anything happened. The crack was sealed but still visible.....but the car still sparkles and looks new.......for now

Back