Kind of disappointed.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, if you're responsible enough to make a financial purchase as large as this, you should also take responsibility for ensuring it meets your needs. While the situation sucks, you really have only yourself to blame.

That said, it is a scummy move by Mazda when it would be standard with many other manufacturers.

To be fair, if you're responsible enough to make a financial purchase as large as this, you should also take responsibility for ensuring it meets your needs. While the situation sucks, you really have only yourself to blame.

That said, it is a scummy move by Mazda when it would be standard with many other manufacturers.

Wait, How is this scummy? There are costs associated with features. Likely most customers of entry level cars have no desire for XM. The younger demographic is streaming now anyway.

Not scummy. A simple business decision.

All cars have different features that are standard. Nothing scummy about that.

Hi Danisue, don't be disappointed that you don't get that satellite radio as they are crap. Very low-quality sound (Mono). I have a GT that comes with 3 months free trial of XM and I didn't bother using after trying it for 1 week. Instead I used a streaming radio which has better sound quality from my phone thru bluetooth connection and the best part is FREE (except for your data). DI.FM is what I listened too everyday instead of that crappy XM.

BTW, welcome to the club CX-5 where everyone here has their own way of welcoming new members. Enjoy the ride of the CX-5 =)

I just purchased a 2018 Mazda CX-5 touring model with the hopes it would come with satellite radio... Are there any possibilities of adding this on my own?

Hello and welcome to the club!

There might be ways. I honestly don't know much of anything about satellite radio.

That said, there are also plenty of alternatives such as streaming over the bluetooth through your phone, USB stick, etc.

Not going to downplay your need for XM but I personally don’t like it. I stream Spotify for music through my phone and I have a podcast and audio book app for My non music listening

The issue with those of us who like XM is that we like listening to music, and we may not have cell service, but we DO have satellite service...

Wait, How is this scummy? There are costs associated with features. Likely most customers of entry level cars have no desire for XM. The younger demographic is streaming now anyway.

Not scummy. A simple business decision.

All cars have different features that are standard. Nothing scummy about that.

It is also scummy that my CX5 did not come equipped with a DOHC 4V V8, while we're at it.

OMG enough with why we don't like XM. OP didn't ask out opinions on that.

Ghostsniper, XM is not "Mono". Wtf are you talking about? XM sounds WAY better then normal FM and AS good as HD-FM.

In all fairness to the OP, I was almost misled too. My 2015 Mazda6 Touring with Bose radio has XM. I test drove a 2018 CX-5 Touring with the P.E.P. package assuming it had XM. I noticed the XM selection was gray on the screen instead of white, and it couldn't be opened. The sales person didn't even realize Mazda dropped XM except for the in Grand Touring models. They implied the subscription had to be activated before the mode could be selected. If that was true, I asked why there was no "preview" channel available. Another sales person had to advise us both that an independent car audio shop can install an XM module on the Touring with P.E.P. trim level, but it costs another $500.00, and Mazda does not guarantee functionality. The installers may damage trim pieces, and that is not covered by Mazda either. I sent Mazda a nasty email about dropping this feature, and they claim their research shows XM was not important to buyers considering trims below Grand Touring. Oh well, I assume the 2019 CX-5 will be out by December. I bet it will get some of the new Mazda6 upgrades like the 8 inch screen and ventilated seats. How does a brand consider itself "up market" by ditching key features such as XM? If buyers don't want to pay for the service, they don't have to! Messing with a phone and streaming XM is not acceptable in a nearly $30K car! The 2018 base Grand Touring 6's don't even come with the 8 way power seat anymore!!! Not to mention, my 2015 Mazda6 has absolutely no resale value. Mazda is making it hard for me to be loyal. Time to shop other brands :(

In all fairness to the OP, I was almost misled too. My 2015 Mazda6 Touring with Bose radio has XM. I test drove a 2018 CX-5 Touring with the P.E.P. package assuming it had XM. I noticed the XM selection was gray on the screen instead of white, and it couldn't be opened. The sales person didn't even realize Mazda dropped XM except for the in Grand Touring models. They implied the subscription had to be activated before the mode could be selected. If that was true, I asked why there was no "preview" channel available. Another sales person had to advise us both that an independent car audio shop can install an XM module on the Touring with P.E.P. trim level, but it costs another $500.00, and Mazda does not guarantee functionality. The installers may damage trim pieces, and that is not covered by Mazda either. I sent Mazda a nasty email about dropping this feature, and they claim their research shows XM was not important to buyers considering trims below Grand Touring. Oh well, I assume the 2019 CX-5 will be out by December. I bet it will get some of the new Mazda6 upgrades like the 8 inch screen and ventilated seats. How does a brand consider itself "up market" by ditching key features such as XM? If buyers don't want to pay for the service, they don't have to! Messing with a phone and streaming XM is not acceptable in a nearly $30K car! The 2018 base Grand Touring 6's don't even come with the 8 way power seat anymore!!! Not to mention, my 2015 Mazda6 has absolutely no resale value. Mazda is making it hard for me to be loyal. Time to shop other brands :(

Is it really a key feature though? I honestly thought XM was something from a long time ago (when I was a kid), and didn't even know it was still a thing until I saw threads like these. I see a few people very vocal about XM, like you and Uno, but the rest don't really give a crap because we can do everything on our phones. Mazda is probably correct in their research. If I am buying a Sport or Touring, Mazda is probably correct in thinking I don't want to spend another $500 for something that I then have to pay monthly for, when I can just do it all for free on my phone.

Every streaming option makes you pay to go commercial free and be able to download for offlne listening.
Do you know who Howard Stern is CoD?

Every streaming option makes you pay to go commercial free and be able to download for offlne listening.
Do you know who Howard Stern is CoD?

Ah, fair point. But still...there's $500 extra I didn't spend just to listen to the radio.

And yes, of course :D

My dudes..have to stop beating on members especially new participants to the forum. (outie) Other mods may take a stronger stance. Just saying.
Cleaned the first few posts up a little bit.

Last edited:
but the rest don't really give a crap because we can do everything on our phones.

Cars are safer than ever, but accidents continue to rise due to drivers doing everything on their phones. I drive about 30K miles a year, so I've seen it all. If I had a dollar for every time someone almost hit me as I watched them playing on their phone, I could retire. Just sayin'

In all fairness to the OP, I was almost misled too. My 2015 Mazda6 Touring with Bose radio has XM. I test drove a 2018 CX-5 Touring with the P.E.P. package assuming it had XM. I noticed the XM selection was gray on the screen instead of white, and it couldn't be opened. The sales person didn't even realize Mazda dropped XM except for the in Grand Touring models. They implied the subscription had to be activated before the mode could be selected. If that was true, I asked why there was no "preview" channel available. Another sales person had to advise us both that an independent car audio shop can install an XM module on the Touring with P.E.P. trim level, but it costs another $500.00, and Mazda does not guarantee functionality. The installers may damage trim pieces, and that is not covered by Mazda either. I sent Mazda a nasty email about dropping this feature, and they claim their research shows XM was not important to buyers considering trims below Grand Touring.
Cars are getting too complicated and most sales persons are not familiar with those "high-tech" features. Even Mazda itself false-advertised "live-traffic" on their navigation system!

Oh well, I assume the 2019 CX-5 will be out by December. I bet it will get some of the new Mazda6 upgrades like the 8 inch screen and ventilated seats.
No. It won't. These changes are too "costly" for Mazda!

How does a brand consider itself "up market" by ditching key features such as XM? If buyers don't want to pay for the service, they don't have to! Messing with a phone and streaming XM is not acceptable in a nearly $30K car! The 2018 base Grand Touring 6's don't even come with the 8 way power seat anymore!!! Not to mention, my 2015 Mazda6 has absolutely no resale value. Mazda is making it hard for me to be loyal. Time to shop other brands :(
This's typical for Mazda trying to cut corners and save the cost. Remember Mazda secretly changed 8-way power driver's seat which has been using for many years to 6-way on new 2016 2nd-gen CX-9 GT? Memory and auto tilt-down functions on power outside rear-view mirrors were gone at the same time too. I'm with you this's not the right way for Mazda North Americam Operations who are trying to boost up the industry-low customer retention rate!

Not to mention, my 2015 Mazda6 has absolutely no resale value. Mazda is making it hard for me to be loyal. Time to shop other brands :(
Lol. It must be market dependent.

If i look for low mileage sedans - I see a ton of 17 LE Camry's that are cheaper than 15 Mazda6 with similar mileage. Let that sink it - 2017 Camry's are cheaper here in DFW than 2015 Mz6s. I bought a 15 Camry - If i could change that to a Mz6 I would. Problem is they are not too many and get snapped up. I bet if you trade in your car and see price that dealer lists it as - you will cry.

A good thing is 17s have pulled up Mazda as a solid resale brand. I dont think I will have much problem selling used. Specially now that competing cars like CRV 1.5T have major engine failures.

but the rest don't really give a crap because we can do everything on our phones.
Cars are safer than ever, but accidents continue to rise due to drivers doing everything on their phones. I drive about 30K miles a year, so I've seen it all. If I had a dollar for every time someone almost hit me as I watched them playing on their phone, I could retire. Just sayin'
That's why Mazda should offer Android Auto and Apple CarPlay long ago!

⋯ Specially now that competing cars like CRV 1.5T have major engine failures.
I have 2 friends driving 2017 Honda CR-V Tourings with 1.5L turbo, none of them are having "major engine failures". There're not many complaints even on the Internet of such in the US, much less than CVT vibration complaints 3 years ago.

I have 2 friends driving 2017 Honda CR-V Tourings with 1.5L turbo, none of them are having "major engine failures". There're not many complaints even on the Internet of such in the US, much less than CVT vibration complaints 3 years ago.

A class action lawsuit was just filed for 2016-17-18 CRV owners regarding the fuel dilution problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back