Key Fob Won't Program

:
Protege5
I never got a key fob with my P5, but from what I understand they all came with keyless entry.

I bought a fob from a pick and pull today, and verified that it works with the testers at Oreilly's and Autozone. Had to install a new battery. It's identical to this one, but the sticker on the back is worn off.

640px-Mazda_Guide-Protege_5-Programming_Key_Fobs-fob.jpg

I followed this chart, and everything goes well until the point that you press any button on the fob. Nothing happens. I've tried a couple different things but haven't gotten them to communicate.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Mazda_...otege_5-Programming_Key_Fobs-Instructions.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions? Could the key fob look the same, but be incompatible?

not all of p5's had keyless, I believe. Mine was an addition, although a factory piece, not stock. Check in the drivers kick panel area for the brain. If you dont have one, I took mine out in favor of an aftermarket system. I would let you have it for cheap.

not all of p5's had keyless, I believe. Mine was an addition, although a factory piece, not stock. Check in the drivers kick panel area for the brain. If you dont have one, I took mine out in favor of an aftermarket system. I would let you have it for cheap.

Well, if I my car didn't have it, I don't think it would let me into the program mode. I will check the kick panel though.

I found out that the early Mazda 3 uses the same keyfob, and I may have gotten one of those.

I never got a key fob with my P5, but from what I understand they all came with keyless entry.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Could the key fob look the same, but be incompatible?

I thought all P5's came with keyless entry too (but I dunno).

There have been a few people that have had problems programming their remotes that came with their car after their button battery died.

I got my FOB from a wrecker too and it worked for me....

I've got three remotes now and they all have the same circuit board inside.

Here's a picture to compare to what you have.

IMG_20150531_201705_zpsc5hzrxog.jpg

I think there is some kind of software inside the control module that helps with security ???

I've had my remotes act "weird" more than a few times... The doors would lock but not unlock... or vice versa... or I'd have to hit the lock button first before the unlock would work.

Try using a different button on your remote and adjusting how long you hold the button down ???

Last edited:
P5s all had keyless, and the fobs are all the same. If the battery is good and the car goes into the programming mode the fob must be bad.

Make sure your room fuse and rear wiper fuse are good.

Looks like your rear hatch switch ties into the circuit as well... make sure your cargo light turns off when you close the hatch.

Section 09-14-8 of the FSM covers the module and testing.

I thought all P5's came with keyless entry too (but I dunno).

There have been a few people that have had problems programming their remotes that came with their car after their button battery died.

I got my FOB from a wrecker too and it worked for me....

I've got three remotes now and they all have the same circuit board inside.

Here's a picture to compare to what you have.

IMG_20150531_201705_zpsc5hzrxog.jpg

I think there is some kind of software inside the control module that helps with security ???

I've had my remotes act "weird" more than a few times... The doors would lock but not unlock... or vice versa... or I'd have to hit the lock button first before the unlock would work.

Try using a different button on your remote and adjusting how long you hold the button down ???

Make sure your room fuse and rear wiper fuse are good.

Looks like your rear hatch switch ties into the circuit as well... make sure your cargo light turns off when you close the hatch.

Section 09-14-8 of the FSM covers the module and testing.

Just checked, and the numbers on mine are G80-320A-A. The board is organized differently, and mine has no brand name on it. I'm wondering if it's aftermarket.

Cargo light and rear wiper work fine. The map lights and all that stuff works too, there aren't any blown fuses that I know of.

P5s all had keyless, and the fobs are all the same. If the battery is good and the car goes into the programming mode the fob must be bad.

Interesting. I'd think if it was transmitting a signal it would work, but it could be too weak or the wrong signal.. I don't know how the thing works.

Interesting. I'd think if it was transmitting a signal it would work, but it could be too weak or the wrong signal.. I don't know how the thing works.

Or your keyless control module isn't receiving the signal... (it's separate from the door lock control module)

I'm thinking you might have the wrong FOB ???

But a few people here had the same problem with their original factory FOB.

Maybe try beaming the FOB right at the kick plate or unplugging then replugging the module (maybe a reset is possible ??? .... It's described as a "microcomputer" not just a "control module")

Can you go back to the pick and pull to exchange the FOB for another ??? You can test another one right in the parking lot....

I know you said it was verified, but just to be sure, does the FFC ID on the back of it match the OEM fob ID? If not it won't work

I recently bought a replacement fob and had to double check that before I purchased mine..

Or your keyless control module isn't receiving the signal... (it's separate from the door lock control module)

I'm thinking you might have the wrong FOB ???

But a few people here had the same problem with their original factory FOB.

Maybe try beaming the FOB right at the kick plate or unplugging then replugging the module (maybe a reset is possible ??? .... It's described as a "microcomputer" not just a "control module")

Can you go back to the pick and pull to exchange the FOB for another ??? You can test another one right in the parking lot....

I did try it right near the kick panel without any luck.

That yard didn't have any others, but they will give me store credit and I will check a different yard.

I know you said it was verified, but just to be sure, does the FFC ID on the back of it match the OEM fob ID? If not it won't work

I recently bought a replacement fob and had to double check that before I purchased mine..

The decal on the back of the fob is worn off, nothing legible on it. The circuit board is different than the one pcb posted though.

sounds like the wrong fob to me, ebay sells em cheap hell i may have some extra ones soon. my car got hit Saturday night and it was not drivable, i fear its totaled, if so i can send you my extras. getting into programming mode was the hard part for me when i got my extra ones.

To conclude this thread, I got a new key fob from Remotesremotes.com today and it programmed perfectly. Shipping took forever, but it works.

As mentioned above, there is a certain fcc id for it to work right with our cars. Not a sticker but part of the plastic casting of the back cover.....at least my 03.5 remotes it is was are.........

Back