Key Fob Intermittant Issue

ddibiase

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
So this has happened twice - the key fob on my wife's key ring won't start the car. Fortunately, both times were in our driveway, and my key fob worked fine. Will have it checked out when I bring it in for 7,500 mile service in a few weeks. In the meantime, we switched fobs. Nothing strange on her key ring, just a fob for my Audi (same as my key ring) and a bunch of those little card swipe things for the grocery store, library, etc (NOT on my key ring) and 2 regular keys.

I do need to figure out the shift lock, as I realized that if the fob were indeed dead, there would be no way to move the car if you can't get it out of park. It's usually parked right behind my car, so if the battery dies I can't get my car shifted around to jump start the CX-5...

Dan D

Did you replace the battery in the fob? Obvious question, but has to be asked. If the battery is dead though, pressing the start button with the fob should start it, according to the manual.

Last edited:
Suggest you read the section in the manual about starting the engine. There you will learn how to start the car when the key battery is dead. You'll also learn about the various lights that might help you narrow down the problem with the fob. Begins on page 4-3 of the 2014 owners manual. Lots of other interesting info in that book too. :)

Did you replace the battery in the fob? Obvious question, but has to be asked. If the battery is dead though, pressing the start button with the fob should start it, according to the manual.

I haven't I've only had the car 3 months so I wouldn't think it would be dead - especially since it has only happened twice. But I forgot about the 'hold the fob to the start button' deal - I DID read that in the manual (Nodnerb ;-). I will try that if it happens again.

Dan D

My 2013 started to have this problem, and I would replace the battery every 2-3 months. So I took it to the dealer and they replaced the key fob for intermittent issues. The new key has been good for about 2 months now. My second key has never had a problem.

So this has happened twice - the key fob on my wife's key ring won't start the car. Fortunately, both times were in our driveway, and my key fob worked fine. Will have it checked out when I bring it in for 7,500 mile service in a few weeks. In the meantime, we switched fobs. Nothing strange on her key ring, just a fob for my Audi (same as my key ring) and a bunch of those little card swipe things for the grocery store, library, etc (NOT on my key ring) and 2 regular keys.

I do need to figure out the shift lock, as I realized that if the fob were indeed dead, there would be no way to move the car if you can't get it out of park. It's usually parked right behind my car, so if the battery dies I can't get my car shifted around to jump start the CX-5...

Dan D

Where was the fob located? ie: a pocket, the cup holder, a purse in the back seat, etc. I can see if it was in a purse it may have been too distant to work reliably. Also if this purse or container happened to have a shiny metallic lining, that would block the signal.

Did the red key warning on the dash illuminate?

Where was the fob located? ie: a pocket, the cup holder, a purse in the back seat, etc. I can see if it was in a purse it may have been too distant to work reliably. Also if this purse or container happened to have a shiny metallic lining, that would block the signal.

Did the red key warning on the dash illuminate?

Not sure where it was when my wife tried to start the car, but it was in my hand when I tried. Don't recall seeing the 'red' key symbol on the dash - my recollection was that there was nothing lit up on the dash, which was strange as I had the door opened when I was trying to start it....

Dan

Keep an eye for the red light on the dash, that indicates the Smart Key's battery is low. If it's completely dead, it may not illuminate. The fob I used daily in my 2010 Mazda3 (exactly the same) was about 20 months before it ran low, I only changed batteries once in 3 years.

Try using the other FOB and see if you run into the same issues. It's possible one is defective. The dealership can also reset/repair them (they've done it about 6 times on my CX-5 for other reasons). But keep records and keep bringing it in, personally I keep a spreadsheet that I bring each time.

I actually switched fobs with my wife, didn't want her to be stuck somewhere. But I try starting the car every morning before she leaves with the 'bad' fob, just to see if I can replicate it...

Dan D

There are some situations that will quickly deplete the fob battery. Placing your keys close to a a source of high frequency radio waves (e.g., TV, microwave or personal computer) will rapidly drain the battery. Learned this the hard way with my Harley fob that managed to burn through a battery every week or so. The little bowl on top of the microwave is not a good place to store your bike keys...

Last edited:
I actually switched fobs with my wife, didn't want her to be stuck somewhere. But I try starting the car every morning before she leaves with the 'bad' fob, just to see if I can replicate it...

Dan D

Good husband. Let us know if you are able to.

Back