Key FOB Auto Locked Inside Car

Z06Trev

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD
My wife started our 2016 CX-5 and realized she needed something inside the house. She left her key FOB in her purse on the passenger seat with the engine running and closed the door. When she returned, the doors had auto locked with the engine running. Luckily the second FOB was available and she was able to use it to unlock the car.

I have the auto lock feature active, but according to the Owner's Manual it is impossible to lock the doors if a FOB is left inside the car. I'm guessing the car briefly lost contact with the FOB and activated the auto lock feature. When I got home I tried every location of FOB inside the car, but was unable to duplicate this situation.

Based on this experience, we both agreed to never leave a FOB in the car. Has anyone else experienced this issue while using the auto lock feature?

Based on this experience, we both agreed to never leave a FOB in the car. Has anyone else experienced this issue while using the auto lock feature?

I've never had that problem but I rarely leave the vehicle when it's idling. Plus, I always keep the key fob in my front pocket.

Maybe the purse was acting like the cup holder (they say the fob looses contact there).

Last edited:
I've locked my keys in my CX5 countless times when I first got the car. I was just used to my car not letting me lock the keys inside but my 2014 didn't offer that

In our 3, which has the same system, I've set it up such that you need to touch the button on the handle in order to lock. Even if we try to lock it with the key inside, it will not let us. However, it will do it with the inside lock button, when pressed just before closing the door.
We never had any problem with this system. It is very convenient. Only minor drawback is that with this convenience, the key gets buried in the purse so if passenger(s) gets to the car first and want to enter, they need to wait until the driver arrives as well.

Purses are known troublemakers with remote fobs, especially if they have a metallic styling to them. The foil used for that can act like a faraday cage that blocks signals.

sounds like the bag insulted the fob while it was in there.

"Psst... Hey, fob... over here. you know what? You're the ugliest fob I've ever seen. You're a complete waste of buttons and semiconductors. The world would be a better place without fobs like you."

My wife also leaves the key in the purse and leaves the purse in the car in the garage. Convenience spoils women who take technology for granted.

I've locked my keys in my CX5 countless times when I first got the car. I was just used to my car not letting me lock the keys inside but my 2014 didn't offer that

That is strange. My 2014 will not allow me to lock the keys in the car. Saved my butt a few times now.

I've never had that problem but I rarely leave the vehicle when it's idling. Plus, I always keep the key fob in my front pocket.

I decided to test this tonight. We had a snow and ice storm here and I had to run out to the store. I started the CX5 and l went inside the house with the key fob in my pocket. After ten minutes I went to try to open the door and it was locked. No problem the fob was in my pocket, but guess what, you can push the door button or push the fob button and nothing happens. I also went inside to grab my wife's fob with the same result. The only way to unlock the car is to pull the key out of the fob and manually unlock the drivers door.

Heritage07: I'll have to try that with mine... mine is garaged all the time so never have a chance for the warm up scenario but will try it out anyway outside of the garage.

"Psst... Hey, fob... over here. you know what? You're the ugliest fob I've ever seen. You're a complete waste of buttons and semiconductors. The world would be a better place without fobs like you."

Damn auto correct in the iPad ......LOL it should have been insulated not insulted. (bang)

I would too, at times, leave the key fob in the car with or without the engine on. And sometimes keeping it in a bag, in the car. None of this happened. Could it be some configuration issue?

I decided to test this tonight. We had a snow and ice storm here and I had to run out to the store. I started the CX5 and l went inside the house with the key fob in my pocket. After ten minutes I went to try to open the door and it was locked. No problem the fob was in my pocket, but guess what, you can push the door button or push the fob button and nothing happens. I also went inside to grab my wife's fob with the same result. The only way to unlock the car is to pull the key out of the fob and manually unlock the drivers door.

If the key fob is not within range, it's suppose to lock 3 seconds after it loses signal. At least thats what I read in the manual. I researching this thoroughly so that this doesn't happen to me.... I work in remote areas and I don't want to be stranded. Having it locked while the key fob is within range is very odd. I always toss mine in the cubby hole behind the shifter. Haven't gotten locked out yet.

That is interesting. When my wife's FOB was auto locked in the car, she had the exact same issue with the second FOB. She claimed the only way to unlock the car was to manually use the key. I did not post this part of the story because I just assumed it was pilot error on her part.

Since you have now confirmed that part of her story, I will give you another interesting part of her story. She said that even though the second FOB would not unlock the doors using the buttons, it would unlock the rear hatch. Now I am going to have to test all of these scenarios again.

I am actually thinking of having a key blank cut that I could hide under the car, just in case this ever happens again when the second FOB is not available.

I would too, at times, leave the key fob in the car with or without the engine on. And sometimes keeping it in a bag, in the car. None of this happened. Could it be some configuration issue?

When I tried to duplicate this issue, I was never able to get the car to auto lock with the FOB inside the car. But I did not try it with the FOB inside of a purse next to a cell phone. My best guess is that some combination of the purse and cell phone interfered with the communication between the FOB and the car.

I was in the house about 30 to 40 feet away from the running car, so I guess I was out of range. I forgot to try the hatch when this happened, as I know that if you have the fob on you it will open even if the car is locked.

Back