Doors locked while Fob inside and engine running (2019 CX-5)

I started my '19 Touring with the Fob inside. I stood outside of the vehice and all of the doors locked. I was forced to call a locksmith to use his handheld device to unlock it with a $ 75 fee. Had anyone else experienced this ?

i read these stories every single day on cx5 fb pages. Seem like super common problem. on newer ones people say they can not open with their other fob either nor via the mazda app. they need to use the key that is hidden in the fob to manually open them. Poor design for sure.

I started my '19 Touring with the Fob inside. I stood outside of the vehice and all of the doors locked. I was forced to call a locksmith to use his handheld device to unlock it with a $ 75 fee. Had anyone else experienced this ?
Where was the FOB inside the vehicle?

interesting how starting the car, or having it running only with the intentions of actually moving in it could cause such a trouble free experience!

there is a software fix. You have to ask dealer to update to latest or just dont leave the keys inside

Where was your second Fob? I keep my spare in the house. If the spare fob won't open the door, use the key.

@GeneT Is you car configured to autolock the doors when you exit? Have you experienced any other issues with the fob recently? Perhaps the fob battery is marginal.

I tried many times to lock a key fob in the car and it would just immediately unlock the door. Both engine running and engine off.

I do not have walkaway lock engaged.

I've never had it happen but read about enough instances of it happening that I bought a spare fob key insert off ebay for like 8 bucks and had it cut by a local locksmith. It lives sealed in a plastic bag taped to the rear of my license plate. Cheap insurance.

I've never had it happen but read about enough instances of it happening that I bought a spare fob key insert off ebay for like 8 bucks and had it cut by a local locksmith. It lives sealed in a plastic bag taped to the rear of my license plate. Cheap insurance.
I can see it possibly happening if the Fob battery is weak.

I can see it possibly happening if the Fob battery is weak.
When I got my new '24 a few weeks ago just to experiment I tried my damnest to lock the fob in the car while moving it around in the interior front, back, footwells, cargo area etc but could never do it. It always unlocked when the door closed or ignored the lock buttons on the door handles. But I've read enough posts here and on reddit about it happening to still keep the spare handy.

I did that on my previous vehicles and also I removed the battery from the second fob before hiding it away inside the car out of sight. This way, if I lose the first fob (say I dropped it in the sewer) or if it get stolen, I can open the door, retrieve the second fob and start the vehicle. I was too lazy to do it on my current vehicle as I don't drive much anymore (mostly getting local groceries) and my wife can always come to my rescue with her car or I can walk home and get the second fob.

I did that on my previous vehicles and also I removed the battery from the second fob before hiding it away inside the car out of sight. This way, if I lose the first fob (say I dropped it in the sewer) or if it get stolen, I can open the door, retrieve the second fob and start the vehicle. I was too lazy to do it on my current vehicle as I don't drive much anymore (mostly getting local groceries) and my wife can always come to my rescue with her car or I can walk home and get the second fob.
Lol, you lost me at the part where you drop the key in the sewer yet somehow still open the door. I'm sure it's the way you wrote it, but this reminds me of an episode of South Park where the underpants gnomes devise a plan to profit off of stealing underpants from clothes dryers but never seem to figure out phase 2...:ROFLMAO:

1000018428.jpg

I
Lol, you lost me at the part where you drop the key in the sewer yet somehow still open the door. I'm sure it's the way you wrote it, but this reminds me of an episode of South Park where the underpants gnomes devise a plan to profit off of stealing underpants from clothes dryers but never seem to figure out phase 2...:ROFLMAO:

View attachment 324737
I was thinking the same thing, how do you get in the car if the FOB is lost? Maybe he doesn't lock the car doors.

I

I was thinking the same thing, how do you get in the car if the FOB is lost? Maybe he doesn't lock the car doors.
I had a copy of the mechanical key made at a local locksmith and and I put it away on the outside of the vehicle; therefore, if I lose the fob, I could open the vehicle with this key, retrieve the second fob from inside and go home!

Never got an answer from GeneT regarding his spare fob or key.
Again, where is the second fob?
BTW, I too have tried to lock the car with the fob inside (unintentionally), and the car would not let me do it.

Back