key blank ?

johnnydee

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've logged on, car's been running fine, so no need for a while. HOWEVER, I gots a problem again.

My daughter misplaced one of the two factory switchblade keys and then the other one self destructed (literally cracked open and fell apart). It still works manually, but I need to order a couple more keys. They're quite expensive at the dealer, I see the blanks are on amazon and ebay for $20. Where's the best place to order one with the proper coded chip in it? What information do I need to order it?

Thanks,

-JD

Did fine on E-Bay a few years ago. But you require two Chipped keys to program. There are instructions all over the net and on these forums as well. Good Luck

You can get a case from ebay and switch the guts.
For the 2nd and 3rd key, find a full key on ebay and get ready to take them to the dealer for programming.
There is no way to code a 2nd key without dealer computer. You can only do 3rd key if you have two already.

You can contact a locksmith, if he has the right equipment he can program another key. I lost one of mine and a locksmith friend was able to add another key even though I only had one.

You can contact a locksmith, if he has the right equipment he can program another key. I lost one of mine and a locksmith friend was able to add another key even though I only had one.

They don't charge much less and they usually make a copy of the key. So you get two of the keys #1 for example.
It still works of course. My local locksmith was only $20 less then a dealer and $60 more after you consider key cost difference as he refused to work with a eBay key where dealer was ok.
I guess this is different person to person and different if you have an "in".

... My daughter misplaced one of the two factory switchblade keys and then the other one self destructed (literally cracked open and fell apart). It still works manually, but I need to order a couple more keys. They're quite expensive at the dealer, I see the blanks are on amazon and ebay for $20. Where's the best place to order one with the proper coded chip in it? What information do I need to order it?
Since you don't have two keys you cannot program a new key yourself, you have to have the dealer do it. The cost will vary from dealer to dealer, call around. As of 2009 the price was around $80 for the programming.

And there are Mazda dealers that sell to the general public at mechanic's prices. These are the prices for the key (which is the transponder, blank key, and key ring), from 2009:

CC43675RYC, $141.36 (transponder)
G2YA762GXB, $39.01 (blank key for transponder, with chip)
KRTT09001, $0.49 key ring

and as long as you are doing this I highly recommend picking up a third key without the transponder: F1Y1762GX, $22.58 (blank key with chip, no transponder). This is a normal looking key, will open the driver's side door and start the car but will be much less bulky in your pocket and would be water/shock proof, it's a normal key. And if you do this you have a spare key, a third key, and could program another key by yourself if something happened to one of your two fobbed keys.

If you provide your VIN to the online stores, which are Mazda dealers, they will cut the key for you. You receive the keys pre-cut. The chip still needs to be programmed by the dealer.

Last edited:
Google is your friend - car/automobile locksmiths. My wife lost both keys - found 1 (sigh of relief). Found an auto locksmith in NJ made me 1 entire keyfob replacement and 2 transponder keys for $220 (after tax). Drove in and drove out 20 minutes later holding a bunch of extra keys. Locksmith had the computer to program the car. From the prices I was looking at online 2 months ago I think I spent an extra $30-40 over what I could order, then wait for, then get programmed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back