Keep Blowing out Strut Mounts. Need Help ASAP!!

KKummins

:
2002 Mazda Protege ES
I own a 2003 Mazda Protege ES. Due to clunking noises in the rear, I replaced both rear struts (Gabriel brand) and strut mounts (Duralast). It got rid of a lot of the clunking but there was still a little. However, I went on without worrying because I don't want to throw more money than I have to into this pos car that I regret buying. After a few months, the driver's rear strut mount blew out. The rubber piece seated in the middle of it pushed all the way through the strut mount and allowed the strut to move freely up and down. So, I replaced the mount under warranty from Autozone. 1 week goes by and the same one pushes through again. Replaced it and it blew again. It pushed through a total of 4 times all within a week of each other. Needless to say, this is extremely annoying. I thought maybe the springs could have gone bad and weren't up to snuff anymore. I replaced the spring on the driver's side rear as well as yet again another strut mount. 3 days later, It pushes through for the FIFTH TIME. I am at a loss here guys. Should I try a different brand of strut mounts other than Duralast? Am I missing a vital step in putting the strut assembly together? Are these Gabriel struts not very good (even though they have less than 8 months on them)???? The right side also sounds like the strut wants to push through, but it never has in the last 8 months.

I need some help everyone! Any ideas?(dunno)(dunno)(dunno)(dunno)

Yes from mazda, I'm still on my original ones with no issues and it has to be cheaper then regularly replacing the duralast that don't last.

They are covered under warranty. But I will probably return them and try oem. I'll post back when I get something figured out.

So here's the update. I ordered oem mounts and finally got them and they looked identical to the cheap ones at autozone. They only had a 30 day warranty because they didn't install them... Whatever. So I returned them and got my $122 back. My brother an I decided to try something else.

Welded two washers together and put it underneath the FREE replacement mount so that the rubber would have no way of being able to be pushed through. It's been several hundred miles since doing this with no sign of any problems.

Back