K&N has it

I haven't put a K&N in my Audi for that reason. Don't really need the extra HP (if any) anyways, since I upgraded the turbos and had it custom tuned, he he he! Too bad the CX-9 doesn't come with a turbo or two...

I have used K&N air filters in my last 8 new vehicles, and have never had a MAF problem. This typically occurs when the user puts too much oil on the filter when cleaning it. I don't have this problem as I just buy a new one instead of cleaning it. New filters are oiled just right at the factory. I don't really consider it a cost issue since you can go 25-50K miles before cleaning.

Don't K&N filters have to be re-oiled once in a while? Not sure about the one for the CX-9, but the one for my Audi requires it to be lightly oiled, which can be an issue if you clean it out and put too much oil back in (excess oil can ruin the mass air flow sensor)

I've had a K&N in our Volvo 850 for over 200K miles. I've cleaned and re-oiled it a number of times with no issues so far.

how often do you change air filter?

do you have to change it per mile or per time passed?
Kindly advise.

do you have to change it per mile or per time passed?
Kindly advise.

From the K&N site:

How often do I need to clean my K&N air filter?

If you have not experienced a decrease in mileage or engine performance, chances are your filter is fine and does not yet need cleaning. To be more specific, the filter does not require cleaning if you can still see the wire screen on the entire air filter regardless of how dirty it may appear. When the screen is no longer visible some place on the filter, it is time to clean it. When used in normal paved road, street or highway conditions, our replacement air filters that fit in the factory air box should require cleaning every 50,000 miles and our large conical filters on an intake system should require cleaning every 100,000 miles. When used in dusty or off-road environments, our filters will require cleaning more often. We recommend that you visually inspect your filter once every 25,000 miles to determine if the screen is still visible.

I doubt that K&N filters improve your MPG.
More air into the engine triggers more fuel into it as well.
As a result, more torque (x RPM => more power).
In the meantime, less MPG.

I doubt that K&N filters improve your MPG.
More air into the engine triggers more fuel into it as well.
As a result, more torque (x RPM => more power).
In the meantime, less MPG.

A filter cannot 'allow more air' into an engine. The amount of air brought in is fixed and is determined by the displacement of the engine. A low restriction air filter will improve MPG and HP, by letting the air into the engine with less vacuum. Less engine work is being used to take in air, therefore more is available to produce power.

Just read thru the testimonials on the K&N site.
When I thought about the K&N power benefit, I have never thought about the
MPG benefit. It is funny that they have not been promoting the MPG gain
more than the power gain.
I am very tempted to try it out now.
Thanks for correcting my wrong perception.

I think K&N's power benefits tend to be overstated. Any newer vehicle with a decently designed intake system and a large filter area should perform just as well (for instance, the nissan frontier actually dynoes 1hp LESS with the K&N and zero difference in mpg's).

If you have other reasons, drop ins can be good but looking for power or mpg's from them will probably leave you disappointed (or living with a placebo effect).

My friend told me k&n filter improved the mpg lil bit more like 1 or 2 mpg, thats what he said tho, im getting mine tomorrow i ordered it yesterday, will let u know after testing it.

I have K&N on my CX9 for the past 5000 miles (put it on at 1000miles).
I have seen no effect on MPG. However, I like the way K&N allows the engine to
rev happier. So, it stays on.

I think K&N's power benefits tend to be overstated. Any newer vehicle with a decently designed intake system and a large filter area should perform just as well (for instance, the nissan frontier actually dynoes 1hp LESS with the K&N and zero difference in mpg's).

If you have other reasons, drop ins can be good but looking for power or mpg's from them will probably leave you disappointed (or living with a placebo effect).

Yeah, it depends on specific brand, model and year.
For me, just bought a KN CAI for another vehicle, and well, has increased MPG significantly. Not only power, more acceleration and way better sound.

I jst bought mine this past weekend. The original paper filter is coming out with 37k on it, but I did vaccum and blow it out once. I can't wait to see if there is any difference at all. Hoping it might change the intake/rev sound a bit. Bottom line is the filter will outlast the car.

I jst bought mine this past weekend. The original paper filter is coming out with 37k on it, but I did vaccum and blow it out once. I can't wait to see if there is any difference at all. Hoping it might change the intake/rev sound a bit. Bottom line is the filter will outlast the car.

Did you say 37K? What type of driving conditions [environment] do you typically experience? Isn't almost 40K with the same filter a stretch?

good luck.

any type of gauze filter has no advantages over a paper filter when new. In fact, it is almost time to replace the paper filter (15k) when the gauze starts to show it's benefits, which are longevity. Cold Air is what is needed and the thought of a filter giving gains over a new paper element is not factual.

I personally do not like gauze/oiled filters. Over oil them and they cause problems, under oil them and they let dirt through. Best bet is a quality filter like Wix

Did you say 37K? What type of driving conditions [environment] do you typically experience? Isn't almost 40K with the same filter a stretch?

good luck.

Yes it is, but I vacuumed it out and blew it out w/ compressed air. Lazy maybe, but was trying to pay off a few bills before I bought the new filter. If I am not mistaken when I brought my vehicle in for service at the 7500k mark they might have changed it. Dunno, all I know now is that I can wash it out whenever I want now.

Don't believe the hype or scare of over-oiling. You have to be a complete tard to over-oil or soak the filter. You almost have to do it intentionally. Just read the manual that comes with the cleaning kit. Wait...did I say read the manual??? I might end up eating my words now.

Back