K&N has it

I've used K&N in my last few vehicles. There was a slight improvement, but not significant. The advantage with air flow is that they eliminate any possible weak link at the filter for flow restriction. The CX9 has a good sized filter, so I doubt there is much reduction in flow even with a paper filter.

The real advantage, though, is that you don't slowly lose performance as the filter gets dirty, like you do with a paper filter as it fills with dirt.
My cars are just as perky right before I clean the filter as they are right after.

Lindyrect is correct. It's virtually impossible to over oil a K&N. The membrane will only hold so much oil. Any excess oil simply won't stick. The only way to have too much is to hold the filter flat, spray it until it's drenched, and immediately put it in the air box. If the oil side is up, it will choke the air flow until is can be sucked through the filter. If it's down, the extra oil will run off and end up in the engine. Again, you'd have to do it deliberately.

Last edited:
Wow. Having owned two CX9s now, I thought I'd come here and offer my experiences and know how.

Too bad every time someone gives some sound advice, all the wannabe knowitalls have to chime in and discredit that advice just to massage their own ego.

I think I'm done with this site. Sad

I know what you mean. There are a few flamers here, you know what I mean, that like to banter between themselves. I believe that unless your post has some relevant help, you need to keep it to yourself or else the MOD should impose punitive actions.

Oh you're kidding right? I'm sorry I was so harsh. MODS please punish me.

Any filter will clog over time. Doesn't matter what the media is. A K&N will not clog as fast because it doesn't filter as good as paper. Yes you get more air flow with the K&N but there is always a trade off.

Sorry I wasn't trying to bash you. I just thought the way you put it was misleading.

I......was not directing my comment specifically at you cccx9, was just saying in general. Sorry if it seemed that way.

Who is the one being a know it all now?

I've used K&N on 3 vehicles. I've decided that the slight performance gain isn't worth letting more dirt into my engines. There's always a trade off.

I don't know what if anything I've said is inflammatory.

I've used K&N in my last few vehicles. There was a slight improvement, but not significant. The advantage with air flow is that they eliminate any possible weak link at the filter for flow restriction. The CX9 has a good sized filter, so I doubt there is much reduction in flow even with a paper filter.

The real advantage, though, is that you don't slowly lose performance as the filter gets dirty, like you do with a paper filter as it fills with dirt.
My cars are just as perky right before I clean the filter as they are right after.

Lindyrect is correct. It's virtually impossible to over oil a K&N. The membrane will only hold so much oil. Any excess oil simply won't stick. The only way to have too much is to hold the filter flat, spray it until it's drenched, and immediately put it in the air box. If the oil side is up, it will choke the air flow until is can be sucked through the filter. If it's down, the extra oil will run off and end up in the engine. Again, you'd have to do it deliberately.

K&N filter=hogwash. Some people will swallow anything. The filter that came with your car is just as good or better. btw..I have some Zmax I'll sell ya. I run it in all my cars and I signed my name to it, Carrol Shelby.

Last edited:
Who is the one being a know it all now?

I've used K&N on 3 vehicles. I've decided that the slight performance gain isn't worth letting more dirt into my engines. There's always a trade off.

I don't know what if anything I've said is inflammatory.

How do you know there are more dirts into your engine?
Did you test the oil?

How do you know there are more dirts into your engine?
Did you test the oil?

I haven't run a K&N on the CX-9. Many people on bobistheoilguy.com have run before and after used oil analysis on their vehicles and the amount of dirt did increase. Also, there have been independent filtration studies done that show K&N does not filter as well as paper.

I'm not saying that K&N is going to mess up your engine. Many people have used them for 200K miles on their vehicles. I have just made a personal decision to no longer use them.

Why did you take down the F1 post?

A filter cannot 'allow more air' into an engine.

OK then..no need for a K&N

A low restriction air filter will improve MPG and HP, by letting the air into the engine with less vacuum.

Yep...along with more dirt and contaminants.

Less engine work is being used to take in air, therefore more is available to produce power.

Uhh...(blah)

Back