K&N Air Filters

The bottom line is K&N's are no different than Slick 50. Engineered engines don't leave HP pinch points in the air filters. Worse, the oil can cause MAS contamination over time which would then require extra maintenance. As as far as the Dodge, if it was an electronic throttle body, I suppose gunk (from some source, not necessarily the K&N) could restrict the TB and cause problems.

An article:

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/09/07/how-well-do-k-n-air-filters-work/

Haha, yeah, I won't be buying another one. Bought that one new in Oct 2003, had it towed to the dealership in Dec 2003, with around 2,500 miles on it, blown transmission.

Kept it a while, then it was close to 70k miles, and I had a rearend noise that I threw money at, which did not fix it. The gears were grinding, so I paid around $500 to have all the bearings, shims, etc replaced, basically had the rearend rebuilt. The noise wasn't as bad, but was still there. I sold the POS and bought a truck that is known for its dependability :D. My Tundra is almost 5 years old now, 36k miles, only issue was water pump leaking, replaced under warranty (known issue on these trucks), and driveshaft replacement under warranty (known issue, TSB). I'm sticking with the Toyota trucks for me, and so far this Mazda CX-9 seems to be working out pretty good for the wife. Hopefully 7+ years of ownership will be possible, with minimal maintenance costs.

There won't be any dodge in my garage, and I'm not a fan of anything in the Big 3.

Transmission went on a Dodge truck?? shocker!!

1st place: dodge truck transmission failures
2nd place: chrysler products burning to the ground

Won't you buy one?

Every time I've used a K&N I find my MAF sensor gets covered with the red goo that they put on the filter. It's just not worth pulling it out and spraying it regularly with MAF sensor cleaner spray. There's a great comparison of air filters here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

One of the previous posts mentioned "MAS" contamination over time. I think normally it's called a MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor). To qualify what I mentioned earlier - I experienced this directly on an old 93 ford of mine. I put in the K&N and noticed a significant decrease in performance by the end of the week. On a hunch I took the MAF sensor out and cleaned it (there's a spray for that!) and voila - the problem went away. This repeated a few times, as I figured the sensor could have been dirty already. After a few times I was sure it was the K&N. I went back to a regular old paper filter.

Last edited:
Every time I've used a K&N I find my MAF sensor gets covered with the red goo that they put on the filter. It's just not worth pulling it out and spraying it regularly with MAF sensor cleaner spray. There's a great comparison of air filters here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

One of the previous posts mentioned "MAS" contamination over time. I think normally it's called a MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor). To qualify what I mentioned earlier - I experienced this directly on an old 93 ford of mine. I put in the K&N and noticed a significant decrease in performance by the end of the week. On a hunch I took the MAF sensor out and cleaned it (there's a spray for that!) and voila - the problem went away. This repeated a few times, as I figured the sensor could have been dirty already. After a few times I was sure it was the K&N. I went back to a regular old paper filter.

This happened to my F150 back when I was young and stupid trying a CAI. That was an 01 Super Crew. Awesome truck!

Really? common' man.

The car had 100hp. If you looked at it wrong it had a noticeable performance decrease.

This happened to my F150 back when I was young and stupid trying a CAI. That was an 01 Super Crew. Awesome truck!

01 SuperCrew was the only pickup truck I ever test drove (for the fun of it). Yeah it was fun. Perhaps Ford MAFs have a sensitivity to the red k&N goo.

Last edited:
The car had 100hp. If you looked at it wrong it had a noticeable performance decrease.

01 SuperCrew was the only pickup truck I ever test drove (for the fun of it). Yeah it was fun. Perhaps Ford MAFs have a sensitivity to the red k&N goo.

If the oil doesn't hurt them, the dirt that sticks to the oil that sticks to the maf will. Put it this way, if you aren't anal about them, they do more harm than good. Don't forget about the intake air temp sensor.

Been using a K&N for 20k+ miles, cleaned and re-oiled the filter once, no issues.

junk! Just an exercise in marketing. If your using one your ruining your engine. Good luck with that. With the minimal to no gains they provide, they make 0 SENSE in my book and the ISO (SAE) folks who tested them think the same...sorry proved they SUCK! (suck dirt in that is)

I would not use one of those things in any car of mine. OEM IS BEST!!!

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

junk! Just an exercise in marketing. If your using one your ruining your engine. Good luck with that. With the minimal to no gains they provide, they make 0 SENSE in my book and the ISO (SAE) folks who tested them think the same...sorry proved they SUCK! (suck dirt in that is)

I would not use one of those things in any car of mine. OEM IS BEST!!!

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

You seem pretty convinced. Can I try to sell you one?

Nah, I have no idea what I am talking about so I will believe K&N cause I am sure they are looking out for me. I have seen the results first hand with several of my own customers cars. You seem to have fallen for the clever advertising and marketing? I fell for it once but have educated myself on the product.
You can try to sell me one but I have a trash can full of them, so thanks anyway!!

Last edited:
Nope but I bet you do!! Give me a break. LOL Your the moderator and you making a stupid comment like this? I have a compressor for that. Educate yourselves on these high claim items. Maybe you will learn something. Just because you have it and use it does not make it correct. It's ok to be wrong. I was. I used one once but after thorough research and several of my own customers cars as evidence, I won't use those. Plus like I mentioned there is no real gains that I care about in this product. I much rather use OEM paper filters which I know for a fact filter a whole lot better, sorry...way better than K&N. Be smarter than a good marketing campaign. I guess I am seeing this is not a real enthusiast forum. It's just about Wheels, tires and flash tuning with the occasional issue and smart remarks by moderators.

Last edited:
it seems the heat in AZ is more than some can bear. even I got the humor in the nitrogen post and I am clueless most days. The K&N debate is older than the internet and it always goes the same way.

it seems the heat in AZ is more than some can bear. even I got the humor in the nitrogen post and I am clueless most days. The K&N debate is older than the internet and it always goes the same way.

Yep. We here in KY just got out of 100's and everything is dead. Cant imagine AZ.

I hear you. Who wants to keep debating the effectiveness of a k&n filter? We all know that manufacturers never lie to sell their products. Our wonderful government just wont stand for that sort of nonsense.

I want to design a test kit that I can sell in auto parts stores that will allow people to send me a sample of the "nitrogen" in their tires. For a small fee I will scientifically test that there is at least 75% nitrogen in the tire (+/-3%). All samples that meet this strict testing requirement will get very nice color certificate and some stickers for their windows stating that they have "Certified Nitrogen" in their tires.

All i need now is some investors with deep pockets.

Back