Just Purchased a 2024 CX-5 Carbon Turbo! Few questions!

When you get the Nav working in your car you will notice the maps are old. Streets and points of interest will be outdated. You will also notice places you may try to enter or voice enter will not be found. This is where the MyMazda app comes in handy. It has a map interface based on the web and is pretty accurate.

Just enter the destination in the app and it will show up on the app’s screen. Click on it and select the Send to Car button. When you start the car, in a minute or two the car’s screen will display the destination it just received and you can create your route to it. The app will allow you to enter up to three destinations but you must enter them at once before hitting the send to car button. If you hit the button after the first and enter another and send it, the first will be overwritten and not appear in the car.

Last edited:
When you get the Nav working in your car you will notice the maps are old. Streets and points of interest will be outdated. You will also notice places you may try to enter or voice enter will not be found. This is where the MyMazda app comes in handy. It has a map interface based on the web and is pretty accurate.

Just enter the destination in the app and it will show up on the app’s screen. Click on it and select the Send to Car button. When you start the car, in a minute or two the car’s screen will display the destination it just received and you can create your route to it. The app will allow you to enter up to three destinations but you must enter them at once before hitting the send to car button. If you hit the button after the first and enter another and send it, the first will be overwritten and not appear in the car.
That's a good way to deal with no updates, thanks.

Subjectively, I've noticed a difference in engine smoothness between 87 and 91. Between premium fuel and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum oil, she's running like a cheetah!

Recently upgraded from 2021 CX-5 Sig to 2024 CX-5 Sig (US)...overall, same, same but some intial observations of more obscure stuff

The 2 front centre console USB's are now USB-C [oval shape] - either can be used with a USB wire to phone for Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. I found it easier to setup using a wire then just used wireless
2 back USB sockets are still the older USB-A [rectangular socket].
FYI: If use a VPN on phone, for wireless AA to work then HAVE to disable the VPN [my VPN supports 'Split VPN' so I can set it not to use VPN for the andoid auto app only]
There are several setting may want to play with e.g. what connects when turn on car & whether the touch screen [2021 was non-touch] works when moving [set per phone]
The next turn in your AA route is now shown on HUD i.e. distance, junction number and arrow [for exit on left/right]. I find it easier to read the distance on HUD than on the 10.25" screen. On 2021, only the built in maps did next turn on HUD
When audio set to sirius, the up/down arrow on left arm of steering wheel will cycle through Sirius favourites [which is much more useful than on 2021 where it did back/forward within current station]
To get main menu by holding down middle menu button [above commander knob] seems to work more reliably [I use this when want to switch audio between AA and Sirius]

Other things
Open/close the tailgate is almost silent now [but seems about same speed as before]
The adaptive cruise control seems to work a little better [though I need to do more observing] - on 2021 when traffic ahead was alot slower, would wait too long before then breaking harder
The indicator on dash/HUD for adaptive cruise control is still the small green symbol & doesn't highlight when turning off - not good [as I may be expecting this to do my braking]!

A dissapointment is wireless charging [which is in tray under the heating controls] - the phone is put at ~45degree angle balanced on a small lip and one bump/sharp turn can dislodge enough to stop charging [a pixel with google case]. May have to try bodging it with sugro. Thing is, when it is charging [has a green LED], it can charge wirelessly pretty fast [the android app 'Ampere' showed up to 2100mA]. I used to have this tray stapped with stuff e.g. coins, driving sweets etc but can't if I want to use the wireless charging

HTH
M

Editing to add more info from a test I just did: In the connections menu there is an option 'Enable touch screen when in motion on all devices' - it defaulted to unchecked and the 10.25" touch screen would stop working when car going > ~5mph [but if stop (still in gear) then touch would activate again],
When I checked this option to enable, could use touch on screen at any car speed to-
Android: Could run apps, pan/zoom in g maps & select destination, click the maps icon to expand maps to full screen etc i.e. like using those apps directly on phone
iphone: although could run new apps [e.g. start spotify & select a track], gmaps didn't allow me to pan/zoom the map although I could select new destination

Last edited:
Recently upgraded from 2021 CX-5 Sig to 2024 CX-5 Sig (US)...overall, same, same but some intial observations of more obscure stuff

The 2 front centre console USB's are now USB-C [oval shape] - either can be used with a USB wire to phone for Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. I found it easier to setup using a wire then just used wireless
2 back USB sockets are still the older USB-A [rectangular socket].
FYI: If use a VPN on phone, for wireless AA to work then HAVE to disable the VPN [my VPN supports 'Split VPN' so I can set it not to use VPN for the andoid auto app only]
There are several setting may want to play with e.g. what connects when turn on car & whether the touch screen [2021 was non-touch] works when moving [set per phone]
The next turn in your AA route is now shown on HUD i.e. distance, junction number and arrow [for exit on left/right]. I find it easier to read the distance on HUD than on the 10.25" screen. On 2021, only the built in maps did next turn on HUD
When audio set to sirius, the up/down arrow on left arm of steering wheel will cycle through Sirius favourites [which is much more useful than on 2021 where it did back/forward within current station]
To get main menu by holding down middle menu button [above commander knob] seems to work more reliably [I use this when want to switch audio between AA and Sirius]

Other things
Open/close the tailgate is almost silent now [but seems about same speed as before]
The adaptive cruise control seems to work a little better [though I need to do more observing] - on 2021 when traffic ahead was alot slower, would wait too long before then breaking harder
The indicator on dash/HUD for adaptive cruise control is still the small green symbol & doesn't highlight when turning off - not good [as I may be expecting this to do my braking]!

A dissapointment is wireless charging [which is in tray under the heating controls] - the phone is put at ~45degree angle balanced on a small lip and one bump/sharp turn can dislodge enough to stop charging [a pixel with google case]. May have to try bodging it with sugro. Thing is, when it is charging [has a green LED], it can charge wirelessly pretty fast [the android app 'Ampere' showed up to 2100mA]. I used to have this tray stapped with stuff e.g. coins, driving sweets etc but can't if I want to use the wireless charging

HTH
M

Editing to add more info from a test I just did: In the connections menu there is an option 'Enable touch screen when in motion on all devices' - it defaulted to unchecked and the 10.25" touch screen would stop working when car going > ~5mph [but if stop (still in gear) then touch would activate again],
When I checked this option to enable, could use touch on screen at any car speed to-
Android: Could run apps, pan/zoom in g maps & select destination, click the maps icon to expand maps to full screen etc i.e. like using those apps directly on phone
iphone: although could run new apps [e.g. start spotify & select a track], gmaps didn't allow me to pan/zoom the map although I could select new destination
Interesting. I have a '21 GT Reserve and wondered what else had changed for 24. I had a '19 which changed the Sirius stations with the left side steering wheel rocker, as you mentioned on your '24, while my '21 does not do this, which is annoying. I have to use the dial to change between my favorite stations. Having AA directions in the HUD is a nice upgrade as well as the touch screen option. I just can't justify another upgrade at this point since I have already had a '19 and '21. Waiting for the CX-70 before I upgrade again so I get a completely new car this time. Also silly to me Mazda never added live tire pressures to the system when other Mazda's have this function.

One thing I'm disappointed about is with the nav vocal prompts. On the older ones the prompts only came from the drivers side speakers so I though having it come from the dash speaker would be an improvement, but the other speakers still don't drop their volume level for the prompts so you still have screw around with the nav volume level depending on how loud you have the music turned up.

Interesting. I have a '21 GT Reserve and wondered what else had changed for 24. I had a '19 which changed the Sirius stations with the left side steering wheel rocker, as you mentioned on your '24, while my '21 does not do this, which is annoying. I have to use the dial to change between my favorite stations. Having AA directions in the HUD is a nice upgrade as well as the touch screen option. I just can't justify another upgrade at this point since I have already had a '19 and '21. Waiting for the CX-70 before I upgrade again so I get a completely new car this time. Also silly to me Mazda never added live tire pressures to the system when other Mazda's have this function.
I too was also hopeing that the CX-70 would be released in US by late 2023 [as I'm guessing it's a larger CX-5 - I want a bigger boot/trunk than CX-5 [31 cu ft]] - then it got delayed which made the choice easier [made moot the doubts about being a guinea pig for a new model, assembled in a new US factory]. When at Mazda dealer [Dec 2023], salesman said CX-70 is to be like [?] the CX-60 - following site shows the boot volume is up only ~10% [from 522L to 570L though those number's don't seem to translate to cu ft, so maybe measurement method is different]
www.automobiledimension.com/model/mazda/cx-60
1704652015059.png

www.automobiledimension.com/model/mazda/cx-5
1704652121069.png

When I looked at the CX-90 in showroom, it looked impossing i.e. massive...and expensive to boot [starting price for base CX-90 is slightly less than my CX-5 SIG and top is over $60k]

I was alos hopeing for tinted/dimming side mirrors [think some Mazda's have this] - it's nice having an auto dimming rear view mirror when a car behind fails to dip lights, but you just end up getting blasted in corner of eye by side mirrors...

what is the software version '24s come with? and is it North America?
Settings > System Setting > System Information > Version Information > System Software

what is the software version '24s come with? and is it North America?
Settings > System Setting > System Information > Version Information > System Software
Car software ver 10002 [2024 CX-5 SIG (US), car manufactured 09/23 from label on drivers B pillar]
2024-01-07 16.06.19 - Copy.jpg

My old 2021 CX-5 had ver 11022 (orig) & dealer updated it to 11040 in mid 2022 i.e. older software has higher ver num which seems strange [IMHO], especially as newer software seems so similar [with a slightly different font]

The Mazda maps looks similar on new 2024 [the SIG trim comes with the Mazda maps SD-Card] However, today when I tried to check the Mazda car maps were up to date on 2024 SD-Card using the 'Mazda Update Toolbox' windows software, it refused to recognise SD-card [on same PC I used with 2021 SD-Card] - windows recognised it [can see card contents in windows explorer]. As I have backup of 2021 SD-Card, comparing it's contents with current shows it is totally different [and filenaming naming etc] e.g. 2021 has root subdirs 'contents' & 'license' & file 'contents\DbVersion.zip' gave the version - on 2024, has root subdirs 'MAPS' & 'telenav_resources'

The Mazda maps looks similar on new 2024 [the SIG trim comes with the Mazda maps SD-Card] However, today when I tried to check the Mazda car maps were up to date on 2024 SD-Card using the 'Mazda Update Toolbox' windows software, it refused to recognise SD-card [on same PC I used with 2021 SD-Card] - windows recognised it [can see card contents in windows explorer]. As I have backup of 2021 SD-Card, comparing it's contents with current shows it is totally different [and filenaming naming etc] e.g. 2021 has root subdirs 'contents' & 'license' & file 'contents\DbVersion.zip' gave the version - on 2024, has root subdirs 'MAPS' & 'telenav_resources'
Apologies for answering my own question, but this prompted me to look into this - it seems that Mazda maps used in 2024 CX-5 USA [maybe all their NA 2024 Models?] have switched from provider 'Here/NNG' [which I think is owned by Nokia] to 'TELENAV' [hence why i see completely different files - a clue is one subdir called 'telenav_resources']

Presumably this is an extension of following deal to include North America
Telenav, Inc., a leading provider of connected-car and location-based services, proudly announces that the Mazda Motor Corporation has chosen Telenav’s Navigation SDK and Cloud Search products for its in-vehicle navigation in Europe, Australia, and New Zealand. Telenav’s market-proven navigation engine and one-box cloud search will ensure Mazda customers quickly find their destinations and be able to navigate there efficiently and reliably.

Telenav has been acknowledged by the industry as a leading supplier of navigation solutions, most recently winning the J.D. Power award for navigation supplier in the Compact and Premium SUV category. In fact, Telenav supplied automotive manufacturers have been ranked at the top for navigation usability and experience by J.D. Power the last six years in a row.
www.telenav.com/press-releases/2022-09-15-mazda-selects-telenav-as-navigation-partner-in-europe-australia-and-new-zealand

Unsurprisingly, need a different 'Mazda Update Toolbox' to update the maps SD-Card with telenav maps - some more info
Mazda has just released a new Mazda Update Toolbox for NAVIGATION SD CARD..

Please note that the older up to 2023 model year Map Update Toolbox App for 7th Generation Mazda Connect cannot be used with the Navigation SD Cards with the following part numbers.
You must use new App link below.

The Part Number should be printed on your Navigation SD Card Label.

Part Number Destination
KMV6 66 EZ1 USA/CANADA/MEXICO
DRVR 66 EZ1 USA/CANADA/MEXICO
KR9D 66 EZ1 USA/CANADA/MEXICO
KAAA 66 EZ1 EU&UK/RUSSIA for CX-60
KS0G 66 EZ1 CYPRUS
BJGB 66 EZ1 EU&UK/CYPRUS
KS1A 66 EZ1 AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND For CX-60

Here is the URL for new Mazda Map Update Toolbox
Mazda Toolbox for NAVIGATION SD CARD
www.cx70forum.com/threads/mazda-navigation-sd-card-update-toolbox-all-new.206/

i.e. download a new 'Mazda Update Toolbox' [still same name] from 'マツダ コネクトナビゲーションシステム 地図データ更新ツール' & select 'North America' - the download file for Windows software install is called 'MazdaMapUpdateGlobalAdv.exe'. Running this downloaded file just seems to extract the files i.e. have to make your own Shortcut in Start menu to the actual map update app 'MapUpdateGlobalAdv.exe' [how user hostile!]

I did this and running new app 'MapUpdateGlobalAdv.exe' now recognises the 2024 CX-5 Map SD-Card - it suggesting map update from '2021Q2' [seems very ancient!] to '2023Q2'
1704676338540.png

I think worth pointing out the line I "liked" in instructions step 3... [I didn't get this message]
'Even if the message "Please format your SD cards" appears in your computer, please do not format your Mazda navigation SD card.'

FYI: Once started, the following update was automatic & took ~100 mins [25mins to backup existing SD-Card, 7mins to download new map, 60 mins to update, 10 mins to verify] i.e. much slower than updates for the 2021 CX-5 ver
1704682091525.png

Unlike for 2021, it didn't ask for a user name nor password

Putting SD-Card back into car, then could route to US/CAN/Mex :)

HTH
M

Car software ver 10002 [2024 CX-5 SIG (US), car manufactured 09/23 from label on drivers B pillar]
My old 2021 CX-5 had ver 11022 (orig) & dealer updated it to 11040 in mid 2022 i.e. older software has higher ver num which seems strange [IMHO], especially as newer software seems so similar [with a slightly different font]

That most probably means they got new hardware, that's capable of sending nav directions from phones to hud... I guess no luck for pre-2024 CX5 guys, unless we replace the whole infotainment unit

That most probably means they got new hardware, that's capable of sending nav directions from phones to hud... I guess no luck for pre-2024 CX5 guys, unless we replace the whole infotainment unit
Yea, but going backwards in car software version number may lead to confusion [and always need to quote the MY] - what was the version for 2022 or 2023 CX-5(US)? Based on look/feel, seems the newer car software version is derived from the older [just with support added for new hardware & other tweaks?] so a higher number seems appropriate [or use model year as first 2 digits e.g. 24001]

I was surprised how old [21Q2] the orig maps were on a 2024 MY car - may have expected 22Q2. There was usually an update to the old 'Here/NNG' maps every 6 months so we'll see how it goes with these

The switching maps provider may lead to confusion for those buying the map SD-Card from amazon etc - and if issues when those maps are then [attempted to be] updated

The new 'Mazda Update Toolbox' app is very generic e.g. the old app had Mazda branding [logo & in black/silver], showed VIN [i.e. car the SD-Card was associated with], countries of maps, needed you to setup an account...

Yea, but going backwards in car software version number may lead to confusion [and always need to quote the MY] - what was the version for 2022 or 2023 CX-5(US)? Based on look/feel, seems the newer car software version is derived from the older [just with support added for new hardware & other tweaks?] so a higher number seems appropriate [or use model year as first 2 digits e.g. 24001]

I was surprised how old [21Q2] the orig maps were on a 2024 MY car - may have expected 22Q2. There was usually an update to the old 'Here/NNG' maps every 6 months so we'll see how it goes with these

The switching maps provider may lead to confusion for those buying the map SD-Card from amazon etc - and if issues when those maps are then [attempted to be] updated

The new 'Mazda Update Toolbox' app is very generic e.g. the old app had Mazda branding [logo & in black/silver], showed VIN [i.e. car the SD-Card was associated with], countries of maps, needed you to setup an account...
I just bought an amazon card that claimed to be the latest and it is 21Q2. I wonder if I dare try and up date it? 2023 cx5..

I too was also hopeing that the CX-70 would be released in US by late 2023 [as I'm guessing it's a larger CX-5 - I want a bigger boot/trunk than CX-5 [31 cu ft]] - then it got delayed which made the choice easier [made moot the doubts about being a guinea pig for a new model, assembled in a new US factory]. When at Mazda dealer [Dec 2023], salesman said CX-70 is to be like [?] the CX-60 - following site shows the boot volume is up only ~10% [from 522L to 570L though those number's don't seem to translate to cu ft, so maybe measurement method is different]
www.automobiledimension.com/model/mazda/cx-60
View attachment 324942

www.automobiledimension.com/model/mazda/cx-5
View attachment 324943

When I looked at the CX-90 in showroom, it looked impossing i.e. massive...and expensive to boot [starting price for base CX-90 is slightly less than my CX-5 SIG and top is over $60k]

I was alos hopeing for tinted/dimming side mirrors [think some Mazda's have this] - it's nice having an auto dimming rear view mirror when a car behind fails to dip lights, but you just end up getting blasted in corner of eye by side mirrors...
Your specs for the CX-70 will be off as it is a wider version of the CX-60. It should have more luggage capacity (and passenger volume) as a result. Also, the CX-90 and CX-70 are built in Japan (Mazda CX-90 - Wikipedia). I wouldn't be as interested if they were built over here. The CX-70 will be revealed at the end of the month, so we will have the full specs then.

I just bought an amazon card that claimed to be the latest and it is 21Q2. I wonder if I dare try and up date it? 2023 cx5..
Well, I'd have a look directly at the SD-Card contents to check [these images from my backup]

The root [i.e. top e.g. 'D:\'] of 'Here/NNG' maps [old provider - up to MY 2023] has subdirs 'contents' & 'license' & file 'contents\DbVersion.zip'
1704762922311.png

To update these maps, use 'Mazda Update Toolbox' software
Latest map ver is shown by [select region top right]

The root of 'TELENAV' [i.e. the newer MY 2024 provider] has subdirs 'MAPS' & 'telenav_resources'
1704763060604.png

To update these maps, use software [still called] 'Mazda Update Toolbox'
マツダ コネクトナビゲーションシステム 地図データ更新ツール [then select region]
Above also shows latest map ver and instructions to update

Using the old software with a SD-Card with newer map ver [telenav], it didn't recognise it and it just waited on the attempting to detect SD-Card screen

Is the map software built into the car software [it's just the map data itself that is on the SD-Card]? I assume the map software has to match the map data i.e. the 2024 software can only read the telenav [2024] map data

When I looked again at the Mazda maps on car it does seem different...but similar [side by side may be more apparent]. I didn't use the Mazda maps much...only when already driving [or too lazy to plug in phone] & as a catchall - now that I have wireless android auto, I'll probably use it less !

Well, I'd have a look directly at the SD-Card contents to check [these images from my backup]

The root [i.e. top e.g. 'D:\'] of 'Here/NNG' maps [old provider - up to MY 2023] has subdirs 'contents' & 'license' & file 'contents\DbVersion.zip'
View attachment 325001
To update these maps, use 'Mazda Update Toolbox' software
Latest map ver is shown by [select region top right]

The root of 'TELENAV' [i.e. the newer MY 2024 provider] has subdirs 'MAPS' & 'telenav_resources'
View attachment 325002
To update these maps, use software [still called] 'Mazda Update Toolbox'
マツダ コネクトナビゲーションシステム 地図データ更新ツール [then select region]
Above also shows latest map ver and instructions to update

Using the old software with a SD-Card with newer map ver [telenav], it didn't recognise it and it just waited on the attempting to detect SD-Card screen

Is the map software built into the car software [it's just the map data itself that is on the SD-Card]? I assume the map software has to match the map data i.e. the 2024 software can only read the telenav [2024] map data

When I looked again at the Mazda maps on car it does seem different...but similar [side by side may be more apparent]. I didn't use the Mazda maps much...only when already driving [or too lazy to plug in phone] & as a catchall - now that I have wireless android auto, I'll probably use it less !
not sure if I am smart enough to do that :). this is the sd card i bought.
Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 6.55.10 PM.png

Your specs for the CX-70 will be off as it is a wider version of the CX-60. It should have more luggage capacity (and passenger volume) as a result. Also, the CX-90 and CX-70 are built in Japan (Mazda CX-90 - Wikipedia). I wouldn't be as interested if they were built over here. The CX-70 will be revealed at the end of the month, so we will have the full specs then.
I think the CX-50 is wider/longer than CX-5 but doesn't end up with any more storage [think has less with back seat down, but it is more rectangular]
Just hoping for something closer to Honda CR-V [which is up to 39 cu ft (hybrid lose 3) or 76 seats down]
https://automobiles.honda.com/cr-v/specs-features-trim-comparison [Interior Measurements / Cargo Vol]

I just assumed [often bad!] that the CX-70 [as a more NA specific model?] would have been built in Alabama. I should/could have checked the CX-90 when I was in dealer showroom
But this link says different
1704765578382.png

www.dyermazda.com/mazda-cx-70-launch.htm

Also indicates
1704765866902.png

I'll wait for the official announce...but with less eagerness than before!

not sure if I am smart enough to do that :). this is the sd card i bought.
View attachment 325005
I'm sure you are - seems clearly to be a 2023 i.e presumably latest ver of the old 'Here/NNG'

Interesting Q is are they going to continue to update the 'old' maps i.e. for those that bought a 2023 CX-5 SIG that presumably came with 3 years of inclusive map updates

As you need a SD-Card reader to do the update, should be easy to check - plug SD-Card into your PC/laptop reader and use regular Windows Explorer to look at the drive [probably the D: or E: drive]

I'm sure you are - seems clearly to be a 2023 i.e presumably latest ver of the old 'Here/NNG'

Interesting Q is are they going to continue to update the 'old' maps i.e. for those that bought a 2023 CX-5 SIG that presumably came with 3 years of inclusive map updates

As you need a SD-Card reader to do the update, should be easy to check - plug SD-Card into your PC/laptop reader and use regular Windows Explorer to look at the drive [probably the D: or E: drive]
when it is plugged into my cx5 it shows it is the 2021Q2 so it is already 2 years outdated. My mac has an sd card reader will that work?

when it is plugged into my cx5 it shows it is the 2021Q2 so it is already 2 years outdated. My mac has an sd card reader will that work?
I'm not a Mac bod - I'm sure on a Mac, if you have an SD-Card reader slot, inserting the car SD-Card into it will show it's contents somewhere [Finder?]. Used to use it to review photos from digital cameras

Both the old and new version of 'Mazda Update Toolbox' links I list have a link to MacOS software [I have tried neither]. From reviewing other posts in the past, there's various reasons why upgrading an amazon bought SD-Card map may not upgrade to latest - they're obvious reasons why they try to prevent $30 maps from working [and an easy point is if you go online to check for updates] e.g. so you buy the $100's official route

Back