just installed new spark plugs, help!

thecrash91

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
ok so i changed my spark plugs today. and i wanted to test me MAF sensor, so i disconnected it while idling to make sure the idle changes when its disconnected and to prove that it does work. cel went on when i disconnected it so i reset the ecu. but now when i drive (its already been 120 miles so ecu is done resetting) my idle sits down on the first line after 0, so im idling around 400-500rpm. what could it be? could i not have screwed the spark plugs in enough? i put them in pretty tight. or could it just be breaking in the new plugs?

You should NEVER disconnect wiring harnesses when the engine is running.

i heard that was a good test to see if it worked from a previous post i made, well it still doesnt answer my question, any ideas?

Why would you disconnect the MAF while it was running? Did you also plug it back in while it was running? If so, you could have toasted the sensor.

You should get a code reader and make sure that the code isn't still logged. Just because the light is off doesn't mean that the code still isn't in there.

In the future, don't disconnect stuff while the car is running. What is the first step in almost every single car repair? It is unhook the battery and pump the brakes a couple of times to drain the system. This is the first step for a good reason. Would you start digging into your computer, taking out ram etc., with it plugged in, let alone running?

Hope you didn't overtighten the plugs. They are supposed to be torqued. You can easily destroy the threads.

Did you make sure the MAF connector is seated properly? Did you check the coil pack connections and make sure the plug wires are seated properly?

i didnt tighten the plugs too much, and everything is seated properly. ill look into more safe MAF testings

ur fine! its not gonna hurt anything! i dont know where they got their information but that is a way to test ur maf! if ur car stays running its shot, if it bogs down like a mofo its in working order. may i suggest next time taking it to autozone or an autoparts store to remove the cel. reseting ur ecu is overkill!

I'm pretty sure that the only test for the MAF is if there is a code for it or not. As far as I know, they are a part that is either working or not. In my experience, most car sensors are either fine or broken, with very little middle ground between those.

ur wrong! when mine went bad i didnt throw any codes for it! the only time ive even seen a maf code is when i disconnected it while running, lol! trust me man, ive been through alot with my car! every headache u can imagine.

I'm pretty sure that the only test for the MAF is if there is a code for it or not. As far as I know, they are a part that is either working or not. In my experience, most car sensors are either fine or broken, with very little middle ground between those.

(lol2)

It's very common for sensors to drift with age and not throw a code. Checking the voltage on the sensors is how you test any sensor. A shop manual will have the specs and test procedure.

I doubt you did any damage to the MAF, I have unplugged and reconnected mine a lot of times. It's fine.

thats what i assumed. no damage was done to maf, got it checked today, and idle has been fine i just reset ecu again and i have had no problems so far its been about 45 miles. i think i didnt have the battery disconnected long enough last time.

Quit disconnecting your battery - geez :) Every time you disconnect your battery, your car forgets the idle settings that are stored in the ECU. It takes between 30-50 miles for it to relearn these, and in the meantime, you're going to have an irregular idle that seems to hover around the 500 mark.

This is why your idle was messed up after you plugged the MAF back in

ur wrong! when mine went bad i didnt throw any codes for it! the only time ive even seen a maf code is when i disconnected it while running, lol! trust me man, ive been through alot with my car! every headache u can imagine.

when my MAF went on my 01 sentra the cel never turned on either.

Back