JosueP5's '03 Protege5 Build Thread.

Yea, they looked pretty good! One of the tabs was broke, but I have some super-awesome-strong stuff at work that will take care of that!

And sorry, if the spoiler goes, Evan called dibs on it. lol

Haha! Jeff, I called dibs on the spoiler before he even picked it up.

Josh, do you want my motor? I'm sure we can arrange something for payment. I like your "barter" idea too, to keep things of your credit card. ;)

If you're talking about bumping up the swap to next weekend, then I'll definitely take it! It'll save me a TON of money, and after a spruce up, it should last me a while longer as well.

Have any of you guys done a timing belt before? Kevin is getting busy with his kids, so I may not get as much help from him as I had hoped.

Having the motor out makes it much easier as well...so I've read. lol

Also, are parts pretty available for these cars/motors? Just a normal run to the parts store? Any brand recommendations? It's been at least 5-6 years since I've had to do maintenence/repairs to a vehicle, so I'm a little rusty!

Autozone/Advance carry almost everything but the best deals are on Rockauto or Amazon. Someone recently posted a link to a timing best kit on amazon, it came with all the belts, seals, tensioner/idler, and a new water pump.

Thanks for the link!

And I found the set on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Timing Belt Kit Mazda Protege 5 2002-2003 2.0L. Includes:* timing belt * water pump with gasket * timing belt tensioner * timing belt idler * timing belt tensioner spring * valve cover gasket set including all grommets * both accessory drive belts (if your vehicle does not have A/C, contact us and we will supply the correct drive belts) * front crankshaft seal * two camshaft seals. Featuring products by Bando, Contitech, Mitsuboshi, GMB, Koyo, NTN, NSK, NPW, Paraut, Aisin. This kit will service Mazda Protege 5's with 2.0L, 1991cc, DOHC engines with a year range of 2002-2003. Services years: 2002, 2003.

$300 seems like an aweful lot of money though? And are all those pieces "needed", or is it just a good idea to do all that at once?

$300 is nothing (nb don't buy the parts from mazda :p)

The only thing you don't really need is the pulleys, the guys at the Mazda dealership where I bought my parts said that they don't bother changing them because they rarely see them fail (and it wouldn't be hard to change if they failed later).

Looking at rockauto, you should be able to buy all those parts separately for less (timing belt+pulleys=$117, water pump=$40). Their parts are also from more reputable companies so you should probably go that route. I remembered the amazon kit being cheaper than that, my bad.

Are they cheaper than parts stores then? I like to buy in person as opposed to online, but I won't overpay for that convienience...haha

Are they cheaper than parts stores then? I like to buy in person as opposed to online, but I won't overpay for that convienience...haha

In my experience, yes but not for everything and often you won't save that much (10-15%). I shop around and get whatever's cheapest out of advance, autozone, rockauto, and amazon. Often I end up ordering from the last two.

If you have a parts store near you, it's probably best to see them. I'm the wrong person to be asking because getting to a physical store is more than a 90min trip for me so I prefer a company that ships stuff.

Shop around, you'll be surprised with what you find. For example, Amazon is currently selling rebuilt rear calipers for $50 a piece (no core charge), nobody comes close to that price (locally the best I can get them for is $120+core). Autozone currently has the best deal on coilpacks, and rockauto is one of the few places you can actually get a Canadian EGR valve (at way below the Mazda price).

I'll have to get a list going and do some calling around then. There are a million parts stores around here!

When I was replacing the timing belt on the KL I read a lot of aftermarket pulleys are plastic, not metal like the OEM ones. Fark those. So double check the pulleys to make sure they're metal. But I would think the pulleys on my FS are still good. It's just an insurance thing to replace parts while everything is torn apart. As I'm sure you already know. I keep forgetting you're not some newb to automobiles. Just new to the P5 and Mazda. :)

Well, I'm a newb when it comes to this motor stuff! I haven't had to do this type of maintenance in quite some time. Had my truck almost 7 years, And before then, a Grand Prix GTP for 3 years that I really didn't have to do much other than brakes and suspension.

Should I use that kit from Amazon as a template then? I like the idea of taking care of all that stuff just to be preventative, but I'm also looking for somewhat of the cheapest route too. If that's what I need to pay to do what I need to do though, then I have no problem with that price. Only thing left would be some plugs and wires, and all the fluids, huh?

Haha! Jeff, I called dibs on the spoiler before he even picked it up.

Josh, do you want my motor? I'm sure we can arrange something for payment. I like your "barter" idea too, to keep things of your credit card. ;)

Damn you Evan oh well this just means I'll have money for a *cough*header*cough* :)

Josh, I've been looking at that same tb kit on amazon as well. I've priced the same parts thru the onlinemazdaparts.com and with his discounted prices the total is $336.58 and that does not include the crankshaft seal. Only parts I'll additionally order from OMP are the tension adj bolt for the alternartor, part # 997950880 and the spacer for said bolt, part # FP0118363. When I talked to Jason at OMP previously he said they were good to replace as the OEM will more than likely be bad and between the two it's an addl $10 so I figure I'll play it safe.

Evan, when you are referring to the pulleys, do you mean the tensioners? If so, I'll def inquire as to what material these are made out of on the amazon kit. The OEM tensioner roller is $129.79 and the idler roller is $43.42 thru OMP for reference.

So, pending metal pulleys, this kit from Amazon seems to be legit? Free shipping too I believe.

For some reason, it seems weird to me to buy auto parts from Amazon...lol

So, pending metal pulleys, this kit from Amazon seems to be legit? Free shipping too I believe.

Water pump pulley you have to transfer from old to new, not hard just 4 10mm bolts. If your worried about the tensioner pulleys, leave the stock ones on if they are still round and just replace the spring.

I went ahead and priced that kit on rockauto (because I'm apparently that bored), if you don't get the pulleys it'll cost you ~$150 plus shipping and you'll be getting quality parts. I wouldn't go with that kit if I were you.

Water pump pulley you have to transfer from old to new, not hard just 4 10mm bolts. If your worried about the tensioner pulleys, leave the stock ones on if they are still round and just replace the spring.

I wouldn't say I'm worried about them, but it may be a good idea to just replace them now while the motor is out and probably never have to think about them again. Is there anyway to check their condition while in the car? I'd like to get all the parts here before I get the motor, so I can install and throw the motor in, so I'll need to make this decision ahead of time.

I went ahead and priced that kit on rockauto (because I'm apparently that bored), if you don't get the pulleys it'll cost you ~$150 plus shipping and you'll be getting quality parts. I wouldn't go with that kit if I were you.

I tried to do that last night, but they had like, 3-4 of everything and I didn't know which one to go with? lol

So again, is that kit from Amazon EVERYTHING I need for this? And I just need to decide if I want to do the pulleys or not? I need to know exactly what I'll need so I can have the parts here ahead of time. I don't want to be in the middle of this, and "son of a b****, I don't have this seal. Let's run to auto zone....what? It's gonna take 2 days to get?? Dammit...that really phucks my day up" as I'm sure this has happened to many if you. lol

Back