JosueP5's '03 Protege5 Build Thread.

Cheese, I've heard arguments for both sides. Some people say there is no reason to swap them out while others say you might as well while you have it apart and that has been my dilema for some time now. Considering the car is my dd I can't afford to have it down for longer simply because I didn't order the pullys and then find they are bad when the car is apart so to me the extra money is a little insurance. Should I not need them I can sell them or buy from rock auto and return them. By chance what brand of water pump comes with the kit from rock auto? I've heard to stay away from the generic ones as they tend to seize within a year. The brand that comes with the amazon kit is a decent one.

I wouldn't say I'm worried about them, but it may be a good idea to just replace them now while the motor is out and probably never have to think about them again. Is there anyway to check their condition while in the car? I'd like to get all the parts here before I get the motor, so I can install and throw the motor in, so I'll need to make this decision ahead of time.

I tried to do that last night, but they had like, 3-4 of everything and I didn't know which one to go with? lol

So again, is that kit from Amazon EVERYTHING I need for this? And I just need to decide if I want to do the pulleys or not? I need to know exactly what I'll need so I can have the parts here ahead of time. I don't want to be in the middle of this, and "son of a b****, I don't have this seal. Let's run to auto zone....what? It's gonna take 2 days to get?? Dammit...that really phucks my day up" as I'm sure this has happened to many if you. lol

Which is exactly what I want to avoid and x2 on being able to check them on the car. If I can do that and see they are good I'll forego buying them. That kit from amazon includes everything you'll need minus the two parts I mentioned a few posts up (part numbers are in red). Again, they may not need to be changed but for $10, why not?

I wouldn't say I'm worried about them, but it may be a good idea to just replace them now while the motor is out and probably never have to think about them again. Is there anyway to check their condition while in the car? I'd like to get all the parts here before I get the motor, so I can install and throw the motor in, so I'll need to make this decision ahead of time.

I tried to do that last night, but they had like, 3-4 of everything and I didn't know which one to go with? lol

So again, is that kit from Amazon EVERYTHING I need for this? And I just need to decide if I want to do the pulleys or not? I need to know exactly what I'll need so I can have the parts here ahead of time. I don't want to be in the middle of this, and "son of a b****, I don't have this seal. Let's run to auto zone....what? It's gonna take 2 days to get?? Dammit...that really phucks my day up" as I'm sure this has happened to many if you. lol

That's the fun of buying parts :D

I'd shy away from Beck/Arnley for the important stuff, get Gates parts and Fel-Pro gaskets and you'll be good.

From the looks of it you'll have everything you need in that kit, the only extra thing you'll need is some grey RTV and fluids (oil and coolant). You might want to change the rad hoses while you're draining the coolant, I didn't and I'm regretting it.

Cheese, I've heard arguments for both sides. Some people say there is no reason to swap them out while others say you might as well while you have it apart and that has been my dilema for some time now. Considering the car is my dd I can't afford to have it down for longer simply because I didn't order the pullys and then find they are bad when the car is apart so to me the extra money is a little insurance. Should I not need them I can sell them or buy from rock auto and return them. By chance what brand of water pump comes with the kit from rock auto? I've heard to stay away from the generic ones as they tend to seize within a year. The brand that comes with the amazon kit is a decent one.

They have Gates parts which I assume are good. The timing belt I got from Mazda was made by Gates, except they charged 5x what rockauto charges.

I like Gates and have heard good things about them. That's what I put on the KL. I wish I knew more about the FS-DE, but most of my research was with the KL.

Josh, if you want I can SeaFoam the motor this week? I Seafoamed it last summer and flushed the coolant system and refilled it and a new t-stat. New Plugs last year as well, NGK long reach.

Jeff, wanna buy a SpooledUp header? heh-heh

I've heard about the seafoam, but don't know exactly what it does?

And I may want the header as well, since I'll need a stock exhaust manifold anyway.

It's basically an internal engine degreaser. It just cleans out the carbon. I just did it last year so it should be good. But since you'll be changing the plugs and and oil anyway, it wouldn't hurt.

And I'll give you the header for $150. Deal? So $550 for the motor and header. I've got the radiator too if you want to swap your CorkSport. And no money upfront is necessary, we can figure out something. Maybe parts for parts? Muhaha

That's what I was thinking here. Between parts and body work, I don't think any money has to be exchanged. :)

And yea, if it wouldn't hurt, then you might as well seafoam it.

Huh? You lost me...

I'm selling all my turbo parts, and installing Evan's motor. My current boosted junk motor will be on the garage floor under the work bench until I get off my ass and get rid of it...lol

Alright....just called my real estate agent...house is on the market and I'm moving the fam to OH...first the spoiler, now the header WTH!! hahahaha

Oh oh, I read it as though you were seafoaming the junk motor. To which I was going to say "WTF?"

Deleting my post in 5...4...3...2...

I'm using all gates belts on mine, I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Where'd you get them from?

I called Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, and Advance Auto today, Auto Zone was the only one who came close to Rock Auto, at least on the timing stuff. $34 for the timing belt, and $89.99 for a kit that included both pulley's (metal) and a tensioner spring.

Their other prices were higher though. $62 for a brand new Duralast water pump with gasket, lifetime warranty. $31 for a Felpro VC gasket kit w/grommets. I didn't want to keep the guy on the phone for a half hour pricing all the other little seals and whatnot, so those are the only prices I got.

Those prices aren't that bad, especially for the water pump, lifetime warranty ftw. Nothing stops you from buying bits and pieces from different places :)

Yea, they had all this in stock as well! I'll have to add all the little pieces up on RockAuto, then see what shipping is to see how much cheaper they'd be. I might do the upper and lower radiator hoses as well like you suggested. Auto Zone wanted over $30 for both, and had to order them. RA has them for less than $20. Plus, my upper seems to be split in 2 to accomodate a water temp gauge hookup?

Of course it's going to be 45 damn degrees...why wouldn't it be?

Ah well, nothing a few layers of clothes can't take care of. I'm pumped to get all this s*** off and start selling it! I'll be at it somewhat early, maybe around 10 or so. Depends on when sleeping beauty decides to wake her ass up and watch the pooches so I can go play. You can come over whenever is good for you.

And if anyone else local wants to come and shoot the s***, you're more than welcome!

Right on. I'll text you when I'm headed over. I might bring Phens civic if we can take a tic to weld that tranny bracket.

I'm looking forward to stealing parts, err, I mean, selling parts too. ;)

oh- did you bring your tool box home? Should I bring any tools? Impact wrench or anything of the sort?

Latest posts

Back