JDM Sam Custom Dyno Tune Results

JDM Sam

Banned
We had a dyno tuning session for a MSP that came for Unichip tuning. Here are the results.

It was very hot over 100 F degrees as you can see in the graph, so the base #s are a lot lower, but you can see the vast improvement. That is how temperature can affect your HP output. The car also just got in from a 3.5 hr road trip here, so there was not much cool down time.

All runs dyno'd in 4th gear.
Car mods are CAI, FMIC, Exhaust, Unichip. PCM/ECU is supposedly not flashed.

Run 1 is stock Unichip Map baseline, stock boost
Run 6 is custom tune, stock boost - Notice the 30+hp gains in the middle of the power curve, similar results are shown in the torque graph
Run 7 is custom tune, boost at 8.5-9 psi tapering down at higher rpm - with the slight increase of boost, gains up to 50 hp were shown over baseline run

Attachments

• tunebeforeafter.jpg
    tunebeforeafter.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 927
Last edited:
but then you will complaine about the snow on the road and not being able to drive your MSP.

and JDM SAM where did said MSP come from? HOUSTON?

Run 10 verifies new spark plugs did restore lost power from worn out plugs.

Final comparison. Definitely an improvement, but there is more to be had with even more tuning.

Attachments

• sparkplugs.jpg
    sparkplugs.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 586
  • beforeafter.jpg
    beforeafter.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 529
Last edited:
try a daily high of 120 F.... thanks vegas

And here I am complaining when it gets a bit past 90. It's hard to beat the weather here, cold days are in the low 70's and rarely does it get any hotter than mid to high 90's. It's got to be a pain to tune a car in that kind of heat 120.

And here I am complaining when it gets a bit past 90. It's hard to beat the weather here, cold days are in the low 70's and rarely does it get any hotter than mid to high 90's. It's got to be a pain to tune a car in that kind of heat 120.

no joke. no installs ever get done between may and september.

is that bump at 5200 the VICS change-over?

yes. it blows assholes -- we tried like hell to get that outta there, and while it's A LOT bettere than it was, it's still hanging in as you can see.

And Justin, you're good. Yup thats me, from Austin.

In my defence of the low numbers: we did 16 pulls in a little over 2 hours, and i got on the dyno immediately after a 4 hour trip; the last 30 minutes spent boosting like crazy cuz i was lost and late (boom06). Everything was done in 4th gear. heat soaks' a b****.

Car feels really strong now though, we advanced the timing a s***-ton but kept the boost down and it feels great. When we tried upping the boost, she had some detonation so we kept it down around 8.5psi after the initial spike. im pretty happy, but feel like i have to go get re-dynoed somewhere when it's a normal temperature, and i can have more than 2-3 minutes cool down between pulls (loser). AFR's were a steady 11-11.3:1 all the way to about 5700rpm where it dipped rich on to redline (conservative tune, there's still more which is good).

Thanks Sam!

Last edited:
oh -- and if you havn't changed your plugs recently, GO DO THAT! cuz damn we added pretty big power with just new plugs, one stage cooler. ZFR7F's ftw.

and we may have been on to something about that VICS/switchover with the stock ECU in regards to timing... apparently that's never been analyzed before...

oh -- and if you havn't changed your plugs recently, GO DO THAT! cuz damn we added pretty big power with just new plugs, one stage cooler. ZFR7F's ftw.

and we may have been on to something about that VICS/switchover with the stock ECU in regards to timing... apparently that's never been analyzed before...

Very nice gains (thumb)

....and yea, those plugs are the shiet! Glad u like em.....Its ZFR7F-11 for those who read this.

Last edited:

yeah, looks like you need to play around with that... doesn't the unichip take care of fuel and timing? can you hack the VICS with a seperate rpm module, and play around with the changer over? maybe lock closed, do a couple runs, then lock it open and do some more. then, where the open and closed curves intersect, make that the changeover point? just thinking out loud...

yeah, looks like you need to play around with that... doesn't the unichip take care of fuel and timing? can you hack the VICS with a seperate rpm module, and play around with the changer over? maybe lock closed, do a couple runs, then lock it open and do some more. then, where the open and closed curves intersect, make that the changeover point? just thinking out loud...

our thoughts exactly. We tried locking closed, locking open, running open vent and closed vent. The best setup was the original combo -- one open on ignition, one open at 5200 -- otherwise it would mess with the MAF reading too much and afr's were hay-wire.

Unichip does do fuel and timing. But we could not compensate the change with fuel, it just wasn't very responsive. And on the timing, if we advanced it too much it would detonate. So it's better, but the stock tune (including that switchover) still prevails as with any piggyback. Cuz believe me, we tried!(gun) haha.

And Sam: i just drove it again doing a couple 1st-3rd gear pulls while the engine was cooler. no detonation, no traction in 1st or 2nd gear :) and it's definitely faster than yesterday. Boost spikes to ~11 for a tenth of a second, then rock solid at 8psi.

Last edited:
Why did detonation come in at such low boost? I understand the long drive and 16 pulls damn!

I have a much larger turbo and J&S and at 13psi with 700lbs+ in passengers started to see some slight flickering in 3rd & 4th. Is that just because the little turbo is spooling at such low rpms?

I also dip into the 10's frequently so I guess if I was leaned out a little I would have to drop my boost down!

you guys should try out your cars over here in janurary...

let me tell ya that theres no heatsoak EVER... oh and no traction on dry tarmac neither

i think you could run without a IC

it,s the time of year whrere short rams become VCAI( as in very cold air intake (boom06)

and the temp is -35 -40 F or C what ever you like

my car spikes to 9 when it's that cold..(freak)

I also dip into the 10's frequently so I guess if I was leaned out a little I would have to drop my boost down!

an afr of 10 is pig-rich, if anything you would WANT to lean that out. 11.8-12 is ideal, but on the edge; you'll make the most power, but will be on the verge of leaning out too much and knocking. Im at low 11's which is fairly conservative.

Im not really sure why it was knocking at such low boost, maybe the heat. i expected that 10 would be no problem at all, especially well tuned, so i was kinda bummed. But the car was noticeably faster with less boost and more timing; versus more boost with pulled timing for the anti-knock.

Back