JDM led abmient light

Question for those that installed the overhead light. Is it pretty bright for you as well, or has anyone found a lower voltage connection that comes on when the marker and headlights are turned on?

(dance)(yippy)(eekdance)
finally i installed .. it takes 1 hour and half to install

first i decide to make a test and told myself be brave do it :D because i'm afraid to make something wrong

then get an idea about the light in glove box its work with headlights, so just work in the night when headlight on

then get the tools and start .. in begin i decide to do it without taking A-Pillar and choose passenger side because its near from glove box

here guys you see just i take off the door rubber and put the wire behind after put the wire from roof

take the wire down behind A-Pillar until reach down to here

then take the wire from behind into glove box

after that put it with the glove box light

then get everything back to place

and finally light work

everything that i do is without take off the A-Pillar just try to get them inside gently
only the overhead and glove box and door rubber removed thats it

so tonight i will make my decision to see it in the night if it so bright at the dark or make me confuse when driving or not

thanks guys for everything and thanks to everyone help me or try to help me and any advise they try to help with it

Last edited:
Question for those that installed the overhead light. Is it pretty bright for you as well, or has anyone found a lower voltage connection that comes on when the marker and headlights are turned on?

it will be nice if we locate a wire with low voltage ,, by the way i will wait until night and see mine if they are disturbing me at night or not

That is how I have installed my mirror, radar detector as well. I'm kind of worried though about the airbag. The wire/s are not in the way, specially at the top.

I love the light and the look it gives at night but it is rather bright. I'm looking at locating a lower power switchable wire.

After 4 days from testing ,, its amazing in look beautiful but same Suaz24 its little bit bright at night , its not too much disturbing but if there lower voltage it will be nice ,, i have an idea to put small tinting on the cover of led without change wires again just cut a small square of tint and put it inside cover what do you think guys?

Found a way to dim the lights, spliced the wiring in with the footwell lights so the down light is switchable and dims with the marker lights.

Picture doesn't do justice. Both lights looks really well. I agree its a bit bright but it gives the car a more complete look.

ff122c071b97a664793bcf2720c1fcde.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

JDM led ambient light

Found a way to dim the lights, spliced the wiring in with the footwell lights so the down light is switchable and dims with the marker lights.
Unfortunately that Mazda MX-5 Genuine Interior Lighting Kit Installation Instructions has been removed and we can't see the schematic diagram for CX-5's footwell courtesy light kit. But if I recall correctly, you could connect your JDM led ambient light to instrument cluster light's wiring but you can only dim it all together but not independently. Mazda's Genuine Interior Footwell Lighting Kit seems to have its own circuitry to dim the light when you hooked up to the wiring for parking lights and headlights.

Installed the console and glove box light into my Scion iA, had to do some customization to the center console support to make it fit but the glove box light housing was already there. Spliced in to my footwell lights so everything comes on with the dome lights and are switchable to the footwell lights. Thank you everyone for the help!

I piggybacked the lights into the Mazda interior lighting kit I had previously installed so everything comes on with the doors and is on the footwell lighting switch. They was the only way I could find to reduce the voltage.

I was able to dim down using a simple trick. I took a piece of a black plastic bag and just put it in between the led diffuser and the housing. Perfect results, now the ambient light is dim and only shadows everything. It's not intrusive and no longer distracting when driving. Best of all is that is reversible if you ever need more light. Also you can handle the amount of light that comes out by adding more layers of plastic on top of the diffuser. Left pic is when i first installed the light. Right pic is after the black bag mod [emoji2].

4b60200dc964696a5a164da3f97e265c.jpg

Last edited:
I was able to dim down using a simple trick. I took a piece of a black plastic bag and just put it in between the led diffuser and the housing. Perfect results, now the ambient light is dim and only shadows everything. It's not intrusive and no longer distracting when driving. Best of all is that is reversible if you ever need more light. Also you can handle the amount of light that comes out by adding more layers of plastic on top of the diffuser. Left pic is when i first installed the light. Right pic is after the black bag mod [emoji2].

4b60200dc964696a5a164da3f97e265c.jpg

good one that's like i'm do

i thinking about put it with the gauge light or gear to dim with the switch but this way was easy and quick

Gotta figure out where to plug this in though...

Hmmm by seajus s, on Flickr
I don't have it hardwired to the car yet. I'd like it to turn on with the headlights and maybe even dim if it's possible...

the proper wire to connect to is the yellow wire on the "cluster switch"... this is the switch with all the buttons on it, such as BSM, TCS, TPMS, LDWS, AFS, i-stop, etc... if it's too bright for you, cut the ring terminal off the black wire and attach it to the gray wire on the cluster switch also... that is the dimmer ground wire, which means, you can dim it with the dashboard lights... this is how the new 6 has it connected from the factory

Last edited:
Quick update for those of you in the UK (and possibly other markets too) - this JDM overhead console is not a straight swap, as UK market cars are fitted with sensors for the alarm that the JDM console does not make provision for! I've fitted the LED from it to my console for a test run but haven't run the cable loom yet. A shame as I was hoping it would be a straight swap like these US cars seem to be!

IMG_2901_zps2j6bflat.jpg

JDM overhead console on the left, UK market on the right

There is now a solution (albeit, expensive) to your problem... the newest 6 in the EU market comes with both the spot light and the ultrasonic motion sensors in the overhead console.... buying this also means it comes with LED bulbs out of the box
part number is GRM5-69-970-75 for grey or GRM5-69-970-02 for black... if you have a sunroof
or GRK6-69-970-75 for grey or GRK6-69-970-02 for black... if you don't have a sunroof
the sensors, processor unit, and the mounting bracket is not included, so just transfer those pieces over... if you want it with everything, it'll cost much more and have different part numbers... even without the sensors, its suggested price is about 170 quid... as you already know, unfortunately, unlike the original console, the trim plate for the sunroof switch is much larger, which means you must buy the proper matching console to your car... can't get a cheaper one without the switch and swapping the piece over

Back