Jack Pad Adapter

:
2018 CX5 GT, Metallic Machine Gray and 2018 MX5 RF GT, Soul Red
If would prefer to do away with my homemade jack pads. Does anyone know of a jack pad adapter that has a slot depth deep enough for the 2018 CX5? Most of the jack pads I found online have about ½ inch slot depth which isn’t deep enough to accommodate the depth of the pinch weld. So far the Potcuto model on Amazon with a slot depth of .63 inches which is the deepest I could find. It may work if I remove the nylon insert with the magnets.

Thanks,

Wade

Last edited:
for those readers that might not know.. home made ones like this:
long story short.. use a hockey puck and a hacksaw .. make your own.

4 pack:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

single:

Don't like the hockey puck method? I guess you could use these, and modify as needed

discussed previously here:

there is also mention of:

don't forget your adapters for the jack stands

Last edited:
I use these with my QuickJack, but they should work with any jack. Pinch weld block pads
They are made from a dense rubber so even if the pinch-weld goes deeper, the rubber will compress. Worked great on my CX5.

tenor.gif

lol

716iqHB1ouL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I used this one when undercoating my CX. The past 3 years before I bought this, my truck had a ladder frame with wide, flat lifting areas, so I didn't need one. I saw the damage on my 04 ES 330's pinch welds so I knew I wanted to protect the ones on the CX. Only used it on two occasions so far (bought car in August) but the UHMW insert is a good feature and has not marred the paint finish or metal on the pinch welds.

View attachment 223879

I used this one when undercoating my CX. The past 3 years before I bought this, my truck had a ladder frame with wide, flat lifting areas, so I didn't need one. I saw the damage on my 04 ES 330's pinch welds so I knew I wanted to protect the ones on the CX. Only used it on two occasions so far (bought car in August) but the UHMW insert is a good feature and has not marred the paint finish or metal on the pinch welds.

These are exactly what I purchased for lifting my '19 MX-5 Miata with my QuickJack.
The magnets hold the pads in place as I position the jack pads and the the car lifts without issue.
My plan is to use them again today to raise the Miata, rotate tires, and upgrade sway bars.

Question... when using the Potauto adapter with the CX5 are you lifted on the pinch weld (point of contact with the nylon insert) or on the frame rail of the vehicle like the CX5 jack does?

Thanks,

Wade

These are exactly what I purchased for lifting my '19 MX-5 Miata with my QuickJack.
The magnets hold the pads in place as I position the jack pads and the the car lifts without issue.
My plan is to use them again today to raise the Miata, rotate tires, and upgrade sway bars.

I hope to be able to use it on my 2018 MX5 RF also.

Wade

Question... when using the Potauto adapter with the CX5 are you lifted on the pinch weld (point of contact with the nylon insert) or on the frame rail of the vehicle like the CX5 jack does?

Thanks,

Wade
Though not Chocolate, I'll answer from experience. These adapters straddle the pinch weld and lift on the frame rail, not on the pinch weld itself.

Thanks for the added information Turborascal. This is the type of adapter I was looking for, something that straddled the pinch weld and lifted on the frame rail.

Wade

I bought four of those to use on top of the blocks included with my QuickJack. Then I lifted the entire CX5 in order to rotate the tires. After removing one tire and starting on another, the CX5 tipped and slid off the jack pads completely on one side - which caused the entire car to shift off on the opposite side. Luckily no damage was done but it was a real PITA getting the wheels back and the car raised enough to remove the Quick Jack. The pads pictured above might be fine for a single floor jack, but aren't stable enough for all 4 corners when work is being done on the car. That is what motivated me to buy the expensive pinch-weld blocks sold buy Quick Jack. After getting them I did the rotation with no drama.

Edit: I'm not blaming QJ or those nice orange pads. The problem was in stacking two pads while using Quick Jack. Lesson learned. Just wanted to raise the issue to save others from damage or injury.

Y’all know shops don’t bother with anything like this, right?

These pinch welds are pretty robust. I lift from them and put stands under them.

Can’t say the same for the pinch welds on the old Saturn s series cars I had years ago.

I bought four of those to use on top of the blocks included with my QuickJack. Then I lifted the entire CX5 in order to rotate the tires. After removing one tire and starting on another, the CX5 tipped and slid off the jack pads completely on one side - which caused the entire car to shift off on the opposite side. Luckily no damage was done but it was a real PITA getting the wheels back and the car raised enough to remove the Quick Jack. The pads pictured above might be fine for a single floor jack, but aren't stable enough for all 4 corners when work is being done on the car. That is what motivated me to buy the expensive pinch-weld blocks sold buy Quick Jack. After getting them I did the rotation with no drama.

Edit: I'm not blaming QJ or those nice orange pads. The problem was in stacking two pads while using Quick Jack. Lesson learned. Just wanted to raise the issue to save others from damage or injury.
If I had a QuickJack (and your post has me looking at them), I'd be tempted to get a pair of 2x6s and route a channel down the middle for the pinch welds to sit in, then lay them on top of the sleds.

The pinch welds on the CX-5 are much more robust than those on my old Lexus ES 330. I still prefer to avoid metal on metal lifting. The ones on that ES have a defective design with cutouts fore and aft of the pinch weld. That led to damage over 10 years of use. The adapter weighs in at 5 ounces and is solid aluminum except for the narrow strip of UHMW plastic. I've just been using one of them while lifting with my 4 ton jack. I always try to put jack stands in place immediately after lifting the vehicle. I have six high lift truck jack stands from Harbor freight, redundancy is peace of mind.

Thanks,

Wade
This was my concern regarding pinch weld jacking points. From my experience on cars with these types of jacking points, the contact points from the jack/jack stands needs to make contact with the CAR'S UNDERBODY NOT THE PINCH WELDS since the load is supposed to be carried from the underbody. Even the owners manuals on all cars with pinch welds indicate so.

2nd gen cx-5 pg 7-8 indicates jack will make contact with underbody and not the pinch weld!

There is an exception if those pinch weld were reinforced like in my 2008 civic which are the jacking points from the owners manual. I really wonder why can't Mazda make these reinforced just like the old 2008 civic is beyond me.

Last edited:
Though not Chocolate, I'll answer from experience. These adapters straddle the pinch weld and lift on the frame rail, not on the pinch weld itself.
I measured the pinch weld on my 2nd gen 2021 cx-5 and the length is almost 3cm so which jack and jack stand pads would be deep enough?

Last edited:
I measured the pinch weld on my 2nd gen 2021 cx-5 and the length is almost 3cm so which jack and jack stand pads would be deep enough?
If the pinch weld is indeed 1" tall I think you are going to be out of luck for an off the shelf solution currently.

might need to use another point of lifting the vehicle:

If the pinch weld is indeed 1" tall I think you are going to be out of luck for an off the shelf solution currently.

might need to use another point of lifting the vehicle:
For jacking I will use the front (cross member with dimples) and rear (between two bolt holes or that extension from rear diff) underbody. I bought this round rubber pad for my hydraulic jack and hopefully it isnt too soft:
1630428388159.jpeg

The jack stands will be used on the pinch welds. I got these rubber pads for the jack stand. If the middle groove is not deep enough for the pinch weld I may have to cut it:
1630428416843.jpeg

Before getting too concerned about the adapter 'groove' being not deep enough to prevent the edge of the pinch seam bottoming out, feel on the back side of the pinch seam. I feel 2 raised bumps that will take the load first and they are 1/2" or less from the thin bottom edge of the pinch seam. So, the groove doesn't have to be too deep. I wish my explanation could be a little less clumsy, but take a look and feel to see what's there. This is the reinforced area for lifting.

Back