Is this gap normal

Adguy21

:
2019 CX-5 GT Reserve Soul Red
Where the taillights meet there seems to be a very big gap. It's to the point where you can see behind the taillight. I marked it up in red on the attached pic. The other side is exactly the same. I had a 17 in Soul Red and may be why I never noticed it (darker color).

Attachments

• IMG_1272.jpg
    IMG_1272.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 527
It probably is but Ill look at ours when the wife gets home.

Please do...I'm getting the feeling that damage may have been incurred before delivery and fixed. Although the passenger side is EXACTLY the same.

Where the taillights meet there seems to be a very big gap. It's to the point where you can see behind the taillight. I marked it up in red on the attached pic. The other side is exactly the same. I had a 17 in Soul Red and may be why I never noticed it (darker color).

I measured the same area on my 16. The gap is exactly 4/16" on both sides. Measure yours and go from there. Maybe take a trip to the dealer and measure a few on the lot.

I measured the same area on my 16. The gap is exactly 4/16" on both sides. Measure yours and go from there. Maybe take a trip to the dealer and measure a few on the lot.

Thank you for checking but the gen 2 (2017-2018) LED taillights are dramatically different than the 16. It's not so much the gap between the taillight on the fender and the one on the tailgate it's were I indicated in red. Seems where they meet at the bottom there is a gaping hole that you can see through to the inner tailgate. The closest dealer is 45 min away so going to look at other 18's would be a pain.

The top of the tail light doesn't seem to line up with the top of the light on the tail gate. Perhaps the tail gate is not lined up properly with rest of the carbody. Maybe if the tailgate was raised up it would reduce the gap and line up better. Sometimes the bolt holes on doors and such are oversize to have room to allow the panels to be centered and then the bolts are tightened to keep the panel in place. It looks to me that yours is off a little bit.

Excuse the dirt.

Here is my 2014. Gap looks about the same to me?

Edit: Upon closer inspection...is your tailgate even down all the way? I agree that now looking at it closer, it doesn't look aligned to me.

dc30feb0ee02adc22410d655915ab0d8.jpg

Last edited:
Try closing your lift gate manually then compare. The electric function may need adjusting. If the same then the latch may need adjusting or something is out of whack.

I still think it’s normal. On mine I can definitely see into that gap and see part of the tail light. Probably nothing to worry about here.

0f2469475aa71daf3c4940d160a9375c.jpg

Trying to get closer to the same angle as you. But mine is darker and the lighting is bad so it’s hard to say for sure.

Looks like a production variation. Some have closer gaps whilst others it is further

My 2017. I also think it’s about the same.
bd36f67aea51eb75724d946ecbab703e.jpg

Thank you! Everyone has been trying to be helpful but I don't think they understood where I was talking about and that a shot of a Gen 1 does nothing for me. This shot is perfect as it is just like mine Gen 2 . How you can see the tailgate jam through the bottom of the outer taillight where it lines up with the inner taillight. I guess I just never noticed as my 2017 was Soul Red Crystal (darker color).

Sorry. Was just trying to show that the gap space seemed to be about the same even if the shape is a bit different.

Don't apologize CD, you're one of the best dudes on here. Don't know why OP couldn't leave it at thank you. (shrug):D

I think the gap is normal and is there specifically to allow clearance for the sheet metal on the door to open and close around it.

Don't apologize CD, you're one of the best dudes on here. Don't know why OP couldn't leave it at thank you. (shrug):D
Agreed. And I believe ColoradoDriver's picture does help the gap comparison because the design on that part basically is the same.

Back