Is there another way to do the rear motor mount? Throttle Body studs also Sheared.

Nascop5

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
As title states, is it possible to attack the rear motor mount on jack stands from under the car? Tried it the other way around. Couldn't get the intake manifold off, and did some sort of damage to my throttle body in the process, I was tightening the two nuts onto the studs sticking out on the bottom of the throttle body and sheared both of them off. Is there a way to replace them without getting a new top half intake? The motor mount is causing a terrible clattering sound and it's driving me apeshit.

You can't get to the three nuts from the bottom. And you don't need to pull the manifold either. You just need a collection of 1/2" extensions long enough to go all the way down from the top, and a 1/2" u-joint. Anything smaller than 1/2" will break. The hard part is getting the plastic wiring harness off of the firewall. Once you get that out, it's nothing but smooth sailing.

Do you have a recommendation on how to remove that plastic bracket? I know it has to be broken, but how should I do it? attack it with a pair of scissors or something?

Get the 10mm nut or nuts (cant remember) off the top of the plastic thing and then the easiest way to get the bottom one is to break the whole lower stud off the firewall. I took a chisel and wedged it in between the plastic and firewall and held a peice of pipe up against the handle of the chisel and hammered on it. If you do it right the stud should pop out leaving you with a small hole in the firewall. I put a peice of tape over the hole, but you can plug it with whatever you like. or don't plug it at all, I don't care.

Sorry to revive an old thread, what are the socket sizes required to remove the mount?

Back