Is it ok to have mismatched tires?

Deep Crystal

:
Mazda CX-5
Right now we have Toyo A36 tires on our 2016 CX-5. The dealership told us that two of them are fine (4/5 & 5/5) and two of them need to be replaced (2/5 & 3/5). We would like to replace the two tires that need replacing and not all four, but unfortunately we cant find the Toyo A36 tires anywhere. The dealership says they are back ordered and have no idea when they will be available. We will be taking a long road trip in July and want to replace the tires before then.

My questions are:

A) Is it ok to have mismatched tires, two of one type and two of a different type?

B) If yes, what tire would people suggest that would be a close match to the Toyo A36?

Thanks.

Right now we have Toyo A36 tires on our 2016 CX-5. The dealership told us that two of them are fine (4/5 & 5/5) and two of them need to be replaced (2/5 & 3/5). We would like to replace the two tires that need replacing and not all four, but unfortunately we cant find the Toyo A36 tires anywhere. The dealership says they are back ordered and have no idea when they will be available. We will be taking a long road trip in July and want to replace the tires before then.

My questions are:

A) Is it ok to have mismatched tires, two of one type and two of a different type?

B) If yes, what tire would people suggest that would be a close match to the Toyo A36?

Thanks.
I don’t know about your dealer, but mine measures tread depth in x/32nds. :)

Assuming that is what you meant, I’d bite the bullet and just get a new set of 4. 4/32nds is marginal IMHO. For example, It is the legal minimum for mountain snow driving in Colorado. You can never go wrong (traction-wise) getting baby “new shoes” as long as you get a quality tire with the characteristics you desire. My wife is as thrifty as the day is long, but she never hesitates to invest in new rubber when one or mor tires hits 4/32nds. It’s just not worth risking your and your passenger’s safety, not to mention deductibles, if you get in a crash.

TireRack.com has a very robust rating service to help you select the best tire for your preferences. YRWEI’s tire rating thread is packed with useful comparison info and user feedback as well.

Discount or American Tire are great places to go for a full-service, fairly-priced experience. Some swear by Costco for new tires.

Last edited:
I was in a similar situation last summer. I decided to keep the best tire and use it for a spare. I got a good deal on a set of four from Discount tire.

My questions are:

Thanks.

If fwd it woulnd be a problem to have 1 set in front and different brand at the rear. Not common but I had such setup on other fwd cars in the past. Then when the 2 toyos wear out get 2 more of the other brand to have same set of 4. For awd it depends. Not sure on Mazda. On some other cars its not recommended.
Of course its best to have 4 new but sometimes budget is an issue.

Other option you can do is look for 2x barely used A36s. People sell them usually on ebay but have to be careful and check seller ratings and sometimes shipping may be expensive etc.

One other point not mentioned, those A36's on your CX-5 are at LEAST 5 years old if not older. You can check the sidewall for the date code to know for sure. In my book, that's old enough (combined with your shallow tread depth) to get four new tires.

One other point not mentioned, those A36's on your CX-5 are at LEAST 5 years old if not older. You can check the sidewall for the date code to know for sure. In my book, that's old enough (combined with your shallow tread depth) to get four new tires.
Excellent point. People just think about tread depth, not age. My son blew a side wall on an old tire that had started to dry rot. It did a fair amount of damage to the wheel well & he was fortunate to be able to pull the vehicle off the road.

I don’t know about your dealer, but mine measures tread depth in x/32nds. :)

Assuming that is what you meant, I’d bite the bullet and just get a new set of 4. 4/32nds is marginal IMHO. For example, It is the legal minimum for mountain snow driving in Colorado. You can never go wrong (traction-wise) getting baby “new shoes” as long as you get a quality tire with the characteristics you desire. My wife is as thrifty as the day is long, but she never hesitates to invest in new rubber when one or mor tires hits 4/32nds. It’s just not worth risking your and your passenger’s safety, not to mention deductibles, if you get in a crash.

TireRack.com has a very robust rating service to help you select the best tire for your preferences. YRWEI’s tire rating thread is packed with useful comparison info and user feedback as well.

Discount or American Tire are great places to go for a full-service, fairly-priced experience. Some swear by Costco for new tires.
I was getting the info from my wife, she said it was out of 5, but looking at the paper from the dealer you are correct, it is in 32nds. Also, the numbers I was given before were wrong, the tires are 5/32, 5/32, 4/32 and 3/32.

My questions are:

Thanks.
You need to clarify a couple of things. Firstly how many miles on your 2016 CX-5 (assuming it’s a GT since you said Toyo A36 which is OE tires for gen-2 CX-5 GT and higher trims with size 225/55R19). Secondly is it a FWD or AWD. Thirdly, 2016 CX-5 GT came with 225/55R19 Toyo A23 tires, not Toyo A36’s. Are you sure your tires are from factory and have never got changed

All these questions need to be answered before we can give you right suggestions.

BTW, Toyo A36 definitely is readily available from Tire Rack, which means it can’t be back-ordered like your dealer told you. If the dealer meant Toyo A23 which is the one your CX-5 supposed to have, yes it can be back-ordered as A23 is discontinued and superseded by A36.

Never go to a car dealer to purchase tires. Go to local tire stores such as Discount Tire Store / America’s Tire Store and they have much better nation-wide service network、better Tire changing and balancing machines、free flat repair and tire rotation (you need do this more often evidenced by different tread wear on you current tires). In addition, they’ll do price-matching even to on-line sellers. And they can get any tires you want within a couple of days if they don’t stock the tire you want. Price-matching is important as I noticed the tire price has been going up a lot recently, just like everything else!

I believe the OP is correct, best to get 4 tires. Even when of the same size, different brands/models will handle differently. Using two different brands/models can dramatically change the handling of the vehicle - or not depending on the specifics. Besides, the 5s will need changing soon anyway (what do the wear bars say?) and he is likely now into the base of the tire tread which has less traction than the original outer material. Add in the possibility of driving in heavy rain and the decision should be obvious.

Usually you want to get a new set of tires before a long road trip for a piece of mind. The national service network from Discount Tire / America’s Tire can be a good thing if you’ve ever had a flat. For new tire purchasing suggestions, go links hets:

2018 Grand Touring AWD Tire Recommendations?

You need to clarify a couple of things. Firstly how many miles on your 2016 CX-5 (assuming it’s a GT since you said Toyo A36 which is OE tires for gen-2 CX-5 GT and higher trims with size 225/55R19). Secondly is it a FWD or AWD. Thirdly, 2016 CX-5 GT came with 225/55R19 Toyo A23 tires, not Toyo A36’s. Are you sure your tires are from factory and have never got changed

All these questions need to be answered before we can give you right suggestions.

BTW, Toyo A36 definitely is readily available from Tire Rack, which means it can’t be back-ordered like your dealer told you. If the dealer meant Toyo A23 which is the one your CX-5 supposed to have, yes it can be back-ordered as A23 is discontinued and superseded by A36.

Never go to a car dealer to purchase tires. Go to local tire stores such as Discount Tire Store / America’s Tire Store and they have much better nation-wide service network、better Tire changing and balancing machines、free flat repair and tire rotation (you need do this more often evidenced by different tread wear on you current tires). In addition, they’ll do price-matching even to on-line sellers. And they can get any tires you want within a couple of days if they don’t stock the tire you want. Price-matching is important as I noticed the tire price has been going up a lot recently, just like everything else!
It's a 2016 AWD GT. Around 70k miles. We did get the tires replaced once already, that's what there are A36s on it.

Were gonna go to America's Tire sometime this week to get four new tires. Just need to decide which tires now.

It's a 2016 AWD GT. Around 70k miles. We did get the tires replaced once already, that's what there are A36s on it.

Were gonna go to America's Tire sometime this week to get four new tires. Just need to decide which tires now.
Before you go to America’s Tire, do some price research at Tire Rack, and Costco on tires you prefer. And check the price on Discount Tire (Direct) website so that you know the price from America’s Tire. If the price is higher be prepared to ask for price match while you’re there.

Go to the link I posted earlier and check out the tire ratings. Personally I’d get Continental CrossContact LX25 unfortunately the price has gone up, now it’s over $200 a piece, and there’s no rebate going on right now. General AltiMAX RT43 is my next choice for lower price but the price has also gone up $22 a piece!

Either tire should give you at least 50K miles which will be better than Toyo’s you’ve been using on tread life. An added bonus, if your new tire purchased from America’s Tire wore out (4/32” ~ 3/32”) earlier than the mileage warranty (65K miles on both tires mentioned), America’s Tire and Discount Tire will give you pro-rated unused mileage credit immediately towards the next new tire purchase for your CX-5.

Back