intuitive "no look" activation of sport mode switch

I personally was very impressed with the M3's sound, and very sad that it couldn't pull on my 370Z. Sounds like the new M4 solved that latter!

No way, I don't believe it. The E92 M3 ran a 4.1s 0-60.

Regardless, the M3 isn't and never was about 0-60 times.

No way, I don't believe it. The E92 M3 ran a 4.1s 0-60.

Regardless, the M3 isn't and never was about 0-60 times.

Neither could he. It was a 60mph roll though. Excuse after excuse...but he didn't do any better the next week when I ran him again, either. My 370Z wasn't stock. Had smooth bellows and CBE, so about 20rwhp over stock. Makes sense. 414?bhp car vs. what amounts to a 360whp car, but mine weighed about 500# less or so. I raced a few Camaro SS's in it (the 430bhp one's) and they SLOWLY inched on me. So it adds up. That V6 was the best part of the 370Z. It didn't handle for beans in my book, but it was QUICK for a little 6 cylinder with no FI

Last edited:
Depends if you turn off all the nannies. I'm not going to do that [emoji23] nor have I tried launch control. I bought this, and plan on keeping it for a long time, meticulously Maintain it, and budget for after the warranty.

I can feel wheel slippage in sport + for the first 3 gears when I floor it and manual shift (DCT)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's definitely traction limited. I've never owned a car where I could floor it in 1st gear and not dead hook on up through the gears, so long as I wasn't being super aggressive with the clutch (powershifting, etc.)

If you're going to keep a car forever though, an ///M car is one of the ones I think is a good choice for sure! Seems like the ///M's, and Porsche are always a solid option, along with the 'vettes, for a "keep it forever" type.

Mine is going back in a year or so when the facelift comes out. 6MT this time. While the DCT is fast, it just isn't that much fun. If lap times mattered, then maybe, but I'm no track junkie.

Which brings us back on topic.... (hijack)

Sport mode in the CX-5 gives us an option to have a quicker car without having to pretend to row through gears.

Mine is going back in a year or so when the facelift comes out. 6MT this time. While the DCT is fast, it just isn't that much fun. If lap times mattered, then maybe, but I'm no track junkie.

Sport mode in the CX-5 gives us an option to have a quicker car without having to pretend to row through gears.

Edit: I think this is where are priorities on our purchase diverge. I like how it looks and am admittedly kind of a badge *****. A 10 year old M- car is still cool.

Agreed on CX-5 sport mode. I drove my wife's today on the autobahn, I use it as a "passing gear" and when I want to hit the limiter. It will hit 120 mph

Last edited:
Agreed on CX-5 sport mode. I drove my wife's today on the autobahn, I use it as a "passing gear" and when I want to hit the limiter. It will hit 120 mph

I am so f'ing jealous.

edit: but I probably wouldn't feel that safe doing 120 in an SUV.

I am so f'ing jealous.

I love it here, and will probably be here till probably 2020 at the latest. Unless my adult boys decide to move out here, otherwise it's back to CO and the gravel infested roads

Edit; it doesn't feel squirrelly at that speed, although a panic brake at that speed is probably quite hard on it. [emoji23]. I have all new rotors, and BTW Mazda Germany doesn't honor Mazda USA warranty

Last edited:
I love it here, and will probably be here till probably 2020 at the latest. Unless my adult boys decide to move out here, otherwise it's back to CO and the gravel infested roads

Edit; it doesn't feel squirrelly at that speed, although a panic brake at that speed is probably quite hard on it. [emoji23]. I have all new rotors, and BTW Mazda Germany doesn't honor Mazda USA warranty

Are they both USA spec cars? I'm pretty sure its standard procedure to not honor warranties for cars from different markets.

Are they both USA spec cars? I'm pretty sure its standard procedure to not honor warranties for cars from different markets.

Correct, both are US Specs. The local BMW dealer here will honor M-Car warranty (good will) after the regulated 2 year initial warranty.

Mazda here DGAF.

ROFL!

That is true. Today's automatics are faster, but for a fun car, I always went manual, and always will.

Edit: I think this is where are priorities on our purchase diverge. I like how it looks and am admittedly kind of a badge *****. A 10 year old M- car is still cool.

I'm confused about hitting the limiter? Mine has done over 120 before, and I encountered no limiter.

Also, wah, the CX-5 felt pretty darn stable to me at those speeds. The aero is solid on it.

My 370Z felt very neutral at 120+, and my Z06 felt fine up to 150ish, which is as fast as I took it, although it had a little more of 4th and the rest of 5th left.

Perhaps I'm just too scared to go over that in the CX-5, perhaps I'm the limiter. :D

Agreed, it doesn't feel like it's going to get away from me.

I remain VERY impressed by the braking at high speed from the CX-5. No notable fade, and it doesn't cause the vehicle to upset and become nearly as light in the rear as one would imagine. I have owned older F-bodies that were WAY scarier to nail the brakes at 80+ in! Mazda really has done a very competent job on the suspension. That said, you can't have your cake and eat it too, and I have found the CX-5 is not nearly as offroad capable as I initially had hoped. Mainly, the unsealed driveline (flooded my rear diff in 10" of water), and the overhang of the front splitter are what kill it. That said, for on-pavement, they nailed it! The Forester from the looks of it skews the other way, for the more offroad willing.

I remain VERY impressed by the braking at high speed from the CX-5. No notable fade, and it doesn't cause the vehicle to upset and become nearly as light in the rear as one would imagine. I have owned older F-bodies that were WAY scarier to nail the brakes at 80+ in! Mazda really has done a very competent job on the suspension. That said, you can't have your cake and eat it too, and I have found the CX-5 is not nearly as offroad capable as I initially had hoped. Mainly, the unsealed driveline (flooded my rear diff in 10" of water), and the overhang of the front splitter are what kill it. That said, for on-pavement, they nailed it! The Forester from the looks of it skews the other way, for the more offroad willing.

I think the CX-5 is a great all-rounder. We fall into the category that will never really go offroading in it, except maybe for some farmer roads while exploring Germany for castle ruins. It's perfect for what my wife needs in a daily. Long trips are not bad, although i wish it had heated seats, and that's only because I have a bum back.

Back