intuitive "no look" activation of sport mode switch

I just keep my elbow on the arm rest and my hand is right over the top of the switch

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Just let Unobtanium drive your CX-5 in Sport mode on NW Arkansas' road when you arrive there. He's a nice guy and he'll buy you a nice dinner! :)

Yep, pretty much. Bentonville is an awesome town. I don't really go out but if you are into going out and have a family and stuff, there is ALWAYS something safe and fun and interesting going on, here. Me? I moved here because it was the smallest town that offered enough support for my industry that I could find which was politically conservative, had hills, streams, and cheap land, etc.

Unobtanium... you just don't get it. Wait, you said that already. Nevermind. ;)

I did not like sport mode at first, in just everyday driving. Waste of revs.

I don't think much of the manual shift mode either. Especially the lag in upshifts.
I only use manual mode to put me in the correct gear for corner exit and to engine-brake on approach to the apex. The computer does and exquisite job for upshifting all by itself. Snappy redline shifts. What more could I ask?

Where I found the sport mode really shines is is on a tight twisty back road, like highway 112 in WA on the Olympic Peninsula. Lots of revs up and engine braking down. Reminded me of when I used to autocross a Miata, minus actually rowing the gears.
If Sport Mode is as aggressive as I drive a manual, I will be absolutely stunned and indeed will change my tune considerably. If not, then I will continue to view it as a half-arsed attempt that annoys real drivers while making minivan owners think they are in a race car.

I see you are in NW AR. I know that area well and am actually on the road at the moment, on my way to live in Bentonville for a year, maybe more. I've been on many roads there where I think sport mode will bring a big smile. (yippy)
I enjoyed driving my 370Z around here quite a bit. There are some EXCELLENT roads.

Put it this way... I have a M dual clutch transmission (the real deal paddle shifter) in my M4 and I almost always drive in auto mode because I find no joy in shifting without a third pedal. It just isn't fun... In a 184hp compact suv, its even less fun (my own opinion).

There is definitely a difference between driving in sport mode and regular if you aren't shifting gears yourself. It isn't all about 0-60, since mashing the gas to the floor will hold the gear longer in either mode. When you're cruising at, say 35mph, sport mode will keep the car in a lower gear, so the car will feel much more responsive since it doesn't need to downshift if you're trying to pass. It's a tradeoff though... In sport, the car runs at higher RPMs, so MPGs go down and overall the car is more "buzzy" as you say. Sometimes, I just want a comfortable easy going ride to get from point A to point B.

Does it make the CX-5 faster? No... maybe not from 0-60, but there is no doubt that it makes the car quicker, and more FUN to drive.

The real sport is mode on our cars is the M button in sport+ across the board. It's a totally different beast.

As far as the CX-5, I do use the sport switch when passing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoyed driving my 370Z around here quite a bit. There are some EXCELLENT roads.

Since you have a 370Z I can see why a CX-5 in any mode might be a bit tame.

When I hit town and get settled in we could get together and you could drive mine in sport mode. I'm currently in South Dakota after some amazing scenic drives through Idaho and Wyoming. I have a big crush on Wyoming right now.

Since you have a 370Z I can see why a CX-5 in any mode might be a bit tame.

When I hit town and get settled in we could get together and you could drive mine in sport mode. I'm currently in South Dakota after some amazing scenic drives through Idaho and Wyoming. I have a big crush on Wyoming right now.

Had*

I traded it because I wanted/needed something that I could count on to get me to work in the snow and ice, no-matter what happened with that. The 370Z, I didn't think so. The 370Z was a tamer vehicle than my C6 Z06 though, for sure. That thing would honestly scare you, at least, it did me. It had no tolerance for the ignorant. Anyway, that is just why I have always shaken my head at the CX5= racecar crowd on here. It makes no sense to buy a family hauler and have NO fun with it, but it also makes no sense to me to be modding it for speed and all that jazz, either.

"M" manual mode on the gear shifter ,

then "+" or "-" for driver to control gear the car is in

negative

m4steeringbutton.jpg

whoa? I'm mistaken then , since I thought OP is located in the USA I thought he was asking about M mode on the shifter,

but this above photo is interesting.....what the heck is that ? must be euro spec CX-5 diesel version ? USA spec doesn't have that.....

what does M1 or M2 do ?

Last edited:
whoa? I'm mistaken then , since I thought OP is located in the USA I thought he was asking about M mode on the shifter,

but this above photo is interesting.....what the heck is that ? must be euro spec CX-5 diesel version ? USA spec doesn't have that.....

what does M1 or M2 do ?

Its a BMW M4. lol... The original comment was for me. We both have M4s.

In before someone calls you "someone who has to be seen" and so on for owning an ///M car, lol!

That said, how is the new M compared to the older V8 model? Lots faster? I ran a V8 M3 a couple of times from a roll in my 370. It sounded very nice!

In before someone calls you "someone who has to be seen" and so on for owning an ///M car, lol!

That said, how is the new M compared to the older V8 model? Lots faster? I ran a V8 M3 a couple of times from a roll in my 370. It sounded very nice!

Thats the thing about the M3/4 that i like.... it can be very subtle, and low key. Most people probably wouldn't know the difference between a stock M3 and a 340i by just looking at it. On the flip side, you can go Austin yellow, mod it like crazy, and make it as flashy, loud and fast as you want.

I had the e92 M3 coupe before the m4 and i can tell you that the M4 is much faster on the street because of the increased low end torque. As much as I loved the V8, it really required you to play at around 5-6k rpms to get the most out of it. Not the best DD engine, but god that sound.... (bowdown)

Thats the thing about the M3/4 that i like.... it can be very subtle, and low key. Most people probably wouldn't know the difference between a stock M3 and a 340i by just looking at it. On the flip side, you can go Austin yellow, mod it like crazy, and make it as flashy, loud and fast as you want.

I had the e92 M3 coupe before the m4 and i can tell you that the M4 is much faster on the street because of the increased low end torque. As much as I loved the V8, it really required you to play at around 5-6k rpms to get the most out of it. Not the best DD engine, but god that sound.... (bowdown)

In efficient mode it's not that imposing (when you want to be low key). Sport Plus across the board, its a totally different vehicle. Down shifting to 3D in a tunnel is an audio experience!

9dc58efc34776e25e86986bd9940fea8.jpg

I personally was very impressed with the M3's sound, and very sad that it couldn't pull on my 370Z. Sounds like the new M4 solved that latter!

In efficient mode it's not that imposing (when you want to be low key). Sport Plus across the board, its a totally different vehicle. Down shifting to 3D in a tunnel is an audio experience!

9dc58efc34776e25e86986bd9940fea8.jpg

Looks good! How does the new motor sound compared to the E46's i6?

Thanks! I love the whine of the turbos when I gun it. I deactivated the active sound and am pleased with the cabin sound

How traction limited is it? I have read that the M4's are spin city. Can you floor it in 1st and it dead hooks and goes, or is it actually limited?

intuitive "no look" activation of sport mode switch

How traction limited is it? I have read that the M4's are spin city. Can you floor it in 1st and it dead hooks and goes, or is it actually limited?

Depends if you turn off all the nannies. I'm not going to do that [emoji23] nor have I tried launch control. I bought this, and plan on keeping it for a long time, meticulously Maintain it, and budget for after the warranty.

I can feel wheel slippage in sport + for the first 3 gears when I floor it and manual shift (DCT)

Last edited:
Back