intuitive "no look" activation of sport mode switch

Yes, yes it is and Unobtanium suffers from envy for not having the Sport Mode on his vehicle.

It's OK, he can always test drive one with a Sports Mode.

I encourage him to do so. Then he will realize how awes it is. Because yes, it doesn't make the cx5 "faster" than a cx5 without it. But it changes just enough to really make it an appealing feature for when you wanna have some fun.

Yes, yes it is and Unobtanium suffers from envy for not having the Sport Mode on his vehicle.

It's OK, he can always test drive one with a Sports Mode.

*sigh*

I just feel the same reading this stuff as I do when people ask which cat back gives their Toyota Tercel the meanest growl.

Just....whhhhyyyyyy!?! It's a nearly 16 second family suv. And here people are talking about "startling other drivers with their acceleration" and other nonsense. I just do not get it. I do not.

I encourage him to do so. Then he will realize how awes it is. Because yes, it doesn't make the cx5 "faster" than a cx5 without it. But it changes just enough to really make it an appealing feature for when you wanna have some fun.

My jeep had tow mode too. Or I could use the manual mode to emulate this sport mode. I promise, I know what locking out overdrive is like.

I just do not get it. I do not.

I would imagine most of us here bought the cx5 because it has for an suv/cuv, awesome driving dynamics. We all needed the space/awd capability but still wanted to have some fun. The cx5 drives better than many cars. With that in mind, clearly we all are driving enthusiasts to some degree. Otherwise we'd be in a Honda, Toyota for pure comfort and known reliability. So yeah, we appreciate modes like sport mode that further enhance the enjoyment of our cuv. The fact that it's even a convo obviously means the vehicle warrants it. You're not going to hear performance talk over the Tucson, rav4 forums. So, we know it's a "slow" cuv. It still offers great performance for what it is.

My jeep had tow mode too. Or I could use the manual mode to emulate this sport mode. I promise, I know what locking out overdrive is like.

Yeah I don't know man. I am willing to bet the tow mode does not offer the same affect as the sport mode on the cx5.

I use Sport mode only a few times in the city just for trying out as I drive our CX-5 like an old man. But is it true that the transmission will never shift into the 6th gear when you drive the CX-5 on the highway with the Sport mode on?

I use Sport mode only a few times in the city just for trying out as I drive our CX-5 like an old man. But is it true that the transmission will never shift into the 6th gear when you drive the CX-5 on the highway with the Sport mode on?

Yeah...it's pretty much an aggressive tow mode, but you can't tow in it. I understand that your understanding is correct.

I would imagine most of us here bought the cx5 because it has for an suv/cuv, awesome driving dynamics. We all needed the space/awd capability but still wanted to have some fun. The cx5 drives better than many cars. With that in mind, clearly we all are driving enthusiasts to some degree. Otherwise we'd be in a Honda, Toyota for pure comfort and known reliability. So yeah, we appreciate modes like sport mode that further enhance the enjoyment of our cuv. The fact that it's even a convo obviously means the vehicle warrants it. You're not going to hear performance talk over the Tucson, rav4 forums. So, we know it's a "slow" cuv. It still offers great performance for what it is.

Yeah I don't know man. I am willing to bet the tow mode does not offer the same affect as the sport mode on the cx5.

I guess you're right. I don't understand why people don't just get a second vehicle instead of a CX5, though. An older CRV + a C5 Z06 would cost similar to a new CX-5GT, and would cover all the bases and give you actual very respectable "fun car time" too, if performance is such an obsession that you are going to install an overly aggressive tow-mode in your family hauler so you can lug it around town in 2nd gear. Which is the gear I would use to smash all of these "I was in sport mode!" types. Seriously, if you're tooling around much under 5K RPM, I'd destroy you in a roll race, and if you're thinking Sport mode would do anything off the line, you're wrong there, too. So...I just don't get it.

*sigh*

I just feel the same reading this stuff as I do when people ask which cat back gives their Toyota Tercel the meanest growl.

Just....whhhhyyyyyy!?! It's a nearly 16 second family suv. And here people are talking about "startling other drivers with their acceleration" and other nonsense. I just do not get it. I do not.

My mom had a 92 or something tersely years ago.

The CX-5 will take itself out of SPORT mode after a few moments at highway speeds...

The SPORT mode does nothing to change any engine dynamics. It merely changes the AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CPU to a different shifting strategy, and alters the accelerator pedal sensitivity. (Why a SPORT Man Trans CX-5 does not have a SPORT MODE...)

While other vehicle manufacturers have had a similar "TOW MODE" for years, the Mazda system is the first one I can recall that changes the accelerator pedal mapping.

Last edited:
The CX-5 will take itself out of SPORT mode after a few moments at highway speeds...

The SPORT mode does nothing to change any engine dynamics. It merely changes the AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CPU to a different shifting strategy, and alters the accelerator pedal sensitivity. (Why a SPORT Man Trans CX-5 does not have a SPORT MODE...)

While other vehicle manufacturers have had a similar "TOW MODE" for years, the Mazda system is the first one I can recall that changes the accelerator pedal mapping.

Exactly. Everyone goes crazy over it because they have to press the pedal x% less. They then equate it to the vehicle performing better. Sadly, the numbers indicate my 2015 might actually be a faster vehicle than their 2016's...and I KNOW they jelly of my NAV!

Exactly. Everyone goes crazy over it because they have to press the pedal x% less. They then equate it to the vehicle performing better. Sadly, the numbers indicate my 2015 might actually be a faster vehicle than their 2016's...and I KNOW they jelly of my NAV!
My god... its like talking to a wall. Whatever... enjoy your "just as fast as sport mode, but you have to press a little more on the pedal and put the tranny in manual mode and shift it correctly by yourself, but its the same, really!" vehicle. (screwy)

In the end, the guy who never tried it has the strongest opinion about it. Lol..

I can't speak for any other vehicles, but my '16 Touring FWD really responds from a stop in Sport mode. While I'm driving, I don't need to shift into Sport to have lots of power to pass others. This 2.5 will get up and go! My '13 Hyundai Sonata had something like a Sport mode, but after I tried it once I never used it again.

OK, so the transmission can shift into the 6th gear in SPORT mode then? The reason I ask was I've seen people claimed they couldn't make the transmission to shift into the 6th gear on the highway no matter how fast he drove in the SPORT mode.

I can't speak for any other vehicles, but my '16 Touring FWD really responds from a stop in Sport mode. While I'm driving, I don't need to shift into Sport to have lots of power to pass others. This 2.5 will get up and go! My '13 Hyundai Sonata had something like a Sport mode, but after I tried it once I never used it again.
You won't feel too much difference just to get up and go on your '13 Hyundai Sonata as its SPORT mode only changes the shifting strategy. But you'd feel your CX-5 really "responds from a stop" in SPORT mode and can get up and go fast as the accelerator pedal is more sensitive. That's why mazdadude says this:

I guess you're right. I don't understand why people don't just get a second vehicle instead of a CX5, though. An older CRV + a C5 Z06 would cost similar to a new CX-5GT, and would cover all the bases and give you actual very respectable "fun car time" too, if performance is such an obsession that you are going to install an overly aggressive tow-mode in your family hauler so you can lug it around town in 2nd gear. Which is the gear I would use to smash all of these "I was in sport mode!" types. Seriously, if you're tooling around much under 5K RPM, I'd destroy you in a roll race, and if you're thinking Sport mode would do anything off the line, you're wrong there, too. So...I just don't get it.

I have thought about that before to put myself back in a mustang. But I don't need two cars with potential problems. I'll stick with one new solid one and save money and get a new sports car when financially ready. As of lately, I have been seriously considering picking up an old 66-69 mustang for fun/project car.

You keep thinking we're using sport mode to race people. I haven't once raced or even considered racing anyone lol Why in the hell would be racing someone in our cx5? It's all for my personal satisfaction and fun when having the cx5 in sport mode. It gives me, and I would imagine everyone else a little glimpse of extra "umph" and fun that we wouldn't otherwise have in a suv. And it works. No one is claiming their cx5 becomes a race car. It just becomes even more enjoyable to drive than without sport mode.

I have thought about that before to put myself back in a mustang. But I don't need two cars with potential problems. I'll stick with one new solid one and save money and get a new sports car when financially ready. As of lately, I have been seriously considering picking up an old 66-69 mustang for fun/project car.

You keep thinking we're using sport mode to race people. I haven't once raced or even considered racing anyone lol Why in the hell would be racing someone in our cx5? It's all for my personal satisfaction and fun when having the cx5 in sport mode. It gives me, and I would imagine everyone else a little glimpse of extra "umph" and fun that we wouldn't otherwise have in a suv. And it works. No one is claiming their cx5 becomes a race car. It just becomes even more enjoyable to drive than without sport mode.

Nevermind the second paragraph, because I would have recommended something with a V8, or a GLK350 1-2 years old, or whatever, if you want "umph" in a smaller SUV.

As to the first, my Dad has a 67 Mustang. I think this has more to do with who he is than what the car is, but it has always "been something" with the car. I bought a C6Z06 with plans to race him (He has a fully forged 408 with AFR heads, and a built Ford 9" rear-end, so don't think I went overboard, and those things are light!). Well, anyway, I bought the Z06, owned it for a year, and never got a chance to run him because the thing always had one issue or another. I'm not talking he was making excuses, I mean it always DID have something wrong. It's been a decade since he first cranked it, and it still has never made a 1/4 mile pass. Anyway, long story short, I'm a fan of something at least semi-modern, to be honest. However, if you are the kind of person who can stick with a project, nothing is sexier than a car that just kicks more ass each year!

Nevermind the second paragraph, because I would have recommended something with a V8, or a GLK350 1-2 years old, or whatever, if you want "umph" in a smaller SUV.

Enlighten me on a SUV thats under $30k, v8, gets 30mpg highway, awd and reliable.

Enlighten me on a SUV thats under $30k, v8, gets 30mpg highway, awd and reliable.

Well, you throw mileage into it and there is your trade off. The 2.0 forester XT fits the rest of the bill though and does 0-60 in a hair over 6 seconds. Not a v8. For a v8, you give up more mileage and to hit that price, buy lightly used.

Unobtanium... you just don't get it. Wait, you said that already. Nevermind. ;)

I did not like sport mode at first, in just everyday driving. Waste of revs.

I don't think much of the manual shift mode either. Especially the lag in upshifts.

Where I found the sport mode really shines is is on a tight twisty back road, like highway 112 in WA on the Olympic Peninsula. Lots of revs up and engine braking down. Reminded me of when I used to autocross a Miata, minus actually rowing the gears.

I see you are in NW AR. I know that area well and am actually on the road at the moment, on my way to live in Bentonville for a year, maybe more. I've been on many roads there where I think sport mode will bring a big smile. (yippy)

Unobtanium...
I see you are in NW AR. I know that area well and am actually on the road at the moment, on my way to live in Bentonville for a year, maybe more. I've been on many roads there where I think sport mode will bring a big smile. (yippy)
Just let Unobtanium drive your CX-5 in Sport mode on NW Arkansas' road when you arrive there. He's a nice guy and he'll buy you a nice dinner! :)

Back