Introducing the New Mazda CX-3

I've seen the CX-3 Racing Concept in person and I really dig it!

I made this video if you want to see it in more detail... :D

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DQn49OjVC44?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

^ Awesome! Definitely a good looking car.

Still can't help but think the 2.0-liter's going to be a disappointment though, and that having the 2.5-liter from the 3, 6 and CX-5 as an optional engine would help this car especially with its sporting intentions, which should help it fend off the Juke,the Countryman and the 500X.

Looks great.

I've seen the CX-3 Racing Concept in person and I really dig it!

I made this video if you want to see it in more detail... :D

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DQn49OjVC44?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

I agree on the dash!...specially the screen sticking out and on the way!...other than that I think is a cute mini SUV.

Put in the 2.5 186hp 4 and give it a manual transmission and give me the line to sign on. As a car company that's slogan is zoom-zoom I can't understand why they insist on limiting the driving experience with an automatic. The new autos may be pretty good and even faster then the manuals but there is something exilerating about shifting through the gears as you hit the on ramp.

use the "auto-shift" then.rev it out, shift,repeat..(nana)(nana)

Why are the fender protectors so.. damn big? I can't stand how they look on most vehicles. Now they're growing.(notcool)

I do prefer the larger CX-5 but that CX-3 is very,very nice!
Not crazy about the dash design,though
I think the CX-3 would actually be the better vehicle for me, over the CX-5; but that CX-3 dashboard does look pretty bleak looking.

So is the CX-3 actually smaller then the Mazda3? I like the idea of the CX-3 but We already have one child and are hoping to add another one here soon and those car seats (rear facing) are huge! I don't want to be driving with my head on sunvisor and the wheel against my chest. If they did the CX-3 with the 2.5 AWD I'd look at it for sure. The possibility of the CX-5 with the turbo diesel and a 6-speed is also very interesting to me, though I doubt we would get the TD with a manual. In fact just give me the Dempsey CX-5 and I'll call it a day!!!

Last edited:
I think they don't offer the larger 2.5L on the CX-3 because they don't want to cannibalize sales of the CX-5.
If they were smart they would orientate the CX-3's toward being more "sporty" with manual transmissions though and make all the CX-5's AT. That would keep them more distinct in the marketplace. All those crying about the lack of MT options on a CX-5 could then move down to the CX-3.
I like the smaller size of the CX-3, but the lack of towing power of a 2.0L kills it for me. So I see myself getting a CX-5 instead because I need to be able to occasionally tow a small boat.

Last edited:
I doubt Mazda has the sales volume to bring in a wide variety of models and options. They probably have to keep it simple to stay profitable. Yes, it would be nice to have the option of a manual with a higher optioned CX-5 and with the CX-3, and to ditch the klutzy Mazda infotainment system.

But . . . the 6AT is quite a nice gearbox. Shifted manually, I doubt it's any slower than a manual. Let it do it's own thing and it's very good. Having the sport shifting mode gets it to hold each gear a little longer. Even without the sport mode, it shifts down easily when you depress the go pedal a bit. I find it just about perfect. It even gears down and adds a little engine braking when you have to slow down abruptly from a higher speed. I always drove sticks until I had a knee injury, then reluctantly changed to an AT because of rush-hour traffic. The CX-5 is the first AT I've driven that doesn't make me wish I had a stick.

Last edited:
torsion beam is a solid axle. if it will have a awd option i doubt torsion beam will be the fwd option. but who know. my dealer will see these soon. i could keep you updated on exactly how it comes. im sure the grand touring model will have a 2.5 option. all the cars have a 2.5 option. im not sure on how much of the 2 it takes after. the frame is different. be closer the the cx 5 or 3. the cx5 and 6 are the same frames. mazda is trying to keep everything same for cheap costs of designing new things. about the 2....they still run the 2 in other countries. there is also a sedan version of the 2 in other countries. why im not sure how much of the 2 it really takes after. it is not a replacement. we are not getting the skyactiv 2's due to north america sales being too low for the car. cx3 is much bigger then the 2. but smaller the the cx5. so we will see when the actually hit the dealer. miatas should be in nxt month or two. just in time for summer. cruising with the top down. which is also mazda motorsports new race car. they are making a cup miata skyactiv. sweet cant wait to get in on that project with robert davis.

im sure the cx3 will have a manual option. all of our cars have a manual option. even the mazda 5 and cx5 can be ordered in manual. just done make that many. they base it on sales. yes americans are lazy. if more manual would sell and asked for you would see more on our lots. it sucks i know. maybe eventually you will only get a manual with customer orders. lol

Last edited:
So Honda beat Mazda at getting out the new small crossover SUV in US market. I saw a new HRV on the freeway today.

^. I knew I was seeing something brand new to my eyes, so I got closer...

Looks much better than CRV (not that it's hard to do).

Last edited:
Car and Driver put the CX-3 at the top of the small x-over class, with the CR-V 4th.

I just saw what looks like the HR-V in China. It isn't called the HR-V but it's definitely a smaller cousin of the CR-V.

^ If HRV is on the road in US, you should find it in Canada by now too.

^ If HRV is on the road in US, you should find it in Canada by now too.
You might think that, but no. Availability is often different in the U.S. and Canada. I attended Mazda's CX-3 comparison drive event a couple of weeks ago, and they were missing the HR-V - the obvious CX-3 competitor - because it was not available. The press has had it for road tests, but consumers have not been able to buy it.

Honda Canada says that it launches in July.

Back