Introducing the New Mazda CX-3

Antoine

Administrator

Mazda has debuted an all new model called the CX-3 at the L.A. Auto Show.

The details I've come across so far are...

- AWD will be available as an option

- It's based on the second generation Mazda2

- It has “the full range of SKYACTIV technology”

- It will launch in the United States with a 2.0L Skyactiv gasoline engine and a six-speed automatic transmission. This same engine puts out 155 hp and 150 pounds-feet of torque in the Mazda3 and CX-5

- The European version could get a 1.5L option with 89 hp / 90 ps and one with 113 hp / 115 ps as well as a Skyactiv-D 1.5L turbo diesel producing 104 hp / 105 ps and 162 lbft / 220nm of torque

- The Australian version will come with either a 2L petrol or a 1.5L diesel. Transmission options will be a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic

- The suspension will be made up of MacPherson struts in the front and a torsion beam axle in the rear

- It's 6 inches shorter than the CX-5 and gives up 11 inches in length and 4 inches in width

- It's designed to compete with the Holden Trax, Peugeot 2008, Ford EcoSport, Suzuki S-Cross, Nissan Juke, Chevrolet Trax, Fiat 500X, Opel Mokka, Jeep Renegade etc...

* Mazda USA is going to Live Stream the debut I believe via their YouTube channel...You can watch it here via the embedded video below...

2014 LA Auto Show Press Preview Event | Mazda USA
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kopN0VykymQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Stay tuned for pics and more details...So what do you guys think of this new model and who is planning on purchasing one?

Also...Keep an eye on our Mazda CX-3 Forum, thanks! :D

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?503-Mazda-CX-3-Forum

Hot off the press!

Here are some of the latest images of the new CX-3 from Mazda...

15639392677_e3df5d31f7_o.jpg

15639722520_e5132039dc_o.jpg

15639152938_553482d8ea_o.jpg

15639392997_167f030cb8_o.jpg

15205137593_094c3c1d91_o.jpg

15639152688_f8748dee02_o.jpg

15639152678_eeab45b8fd_o.jpg

15800916466_3f6be36754_o.jpg

15204597834_52c70551c4_o.jpg

Looks GREAT! Can't wait to see MPG ratings.

This is probably what I would have bought instead of a CX-5 when I switched from a Honda Fit a year ago. But now that I'm used to bigger and more powerful, I can't go back.

A lot sexier than Subarus and I'd love to see a lot of these out here in Colorado where AWD is a strong sales feature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree...From what I've seen so far, it's quite attractive!

I've updated my original post with more details...

------------------------------------------------------

- AWD will be available as an option

- It's based on the second generation Mazda2

- It has the full range of SKYACTIV technology

- It will launch in the United States with a 2.0L Skyactiv gasoline engine and a six-speed automatic transmission. This same engine puts out 155 hp and 150 pounds-feet of torque in the Mazda3 and CX-5

- The European version could get a 1.5L option with 89 hp / 90 ps and one with 113 hp / 115 ps as well as a Skyactiv-D 1.5L turbo diesel producing 104 hp / 105 ps and 162 lbft / 220nm of torque

- The Australian version will come with either a 2L petrol or a 1.5L diesel. Transmission options will be a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic

- The suspension will be made up of MacPherson struts in the front and a torsion beam axle in the rear

- It's 6 inches shorter than the CX-5 and gives up 11 inches in length and 4 inches in width

- It's designed to compete with the Holden Trax, Peugeot 2008, Ford EcoSport, Suzuki S-Cross, Nissan Juke, Chevrolet Trax, Fiat 500X, Opel Mokka, Jeep Renegade etc...

Would have gotten this for my wife if it was out a year ago. Nice looking and perfect size. Would be interested to see mpg ratings. I wish it was also electric. First electric car that can reach 500 mile distance per charge gets me in line to order.

I do prefer the larger CX-5 but that CX-3 is very,very nice!
Not crazy about the dash design,though

Definitely a very attractive crossover! I can't wait to see it in the flesh tomorrow along with the new MX-5!

WOW CX3 is nice..... But i am holding out for the MX5. Still have over two years left on the CRV lease which I bought for rainy days and Cargo pick up so I could buy the Vette. I will likely sell the Vette to buy the MX3 and keep it until the CRV is turned in then it's the RC350 all the way. I had an Infiniti EX35 which is in the same class as the CX3. found it to small for most things and to large to be a sporty vehicle although it went like a Bat out of Hell.

Last edited:
So is it confirmed that it will not have a Manual for the USA? If so I'm extremely disappointed I'd love to have one of these but I can't live without a stick. Even Jeep is going to offer the Renegade with a Manual here.

Looks great. I'd lower it, make it a hot hatch.

I am disappointed in Mazda for not showing the new Mazda 2 in LA however. They are already showing little support for it as they did with the previous one by not having show cased it yet in the US. They choose the CX3 instead.

Not surprised at all. No doubt Mazda created the CX3 specifically for the US and will only offer automatic because that's what the American buyers "wants". Not this American.

This lack of options annoys me to no end. No one else feels the same?

So is it confirmed that it will not have a Manual for the USA? If so I'm extremely disappointed I'd love to have one of these but I can't live without a stick. Even Jeep is going to offer the Renegade with a Manual here.

Agreed, the super base model will have a stick, I mean, even the mini-van 5 can get a stick! But I'm a little annoyed at the sporty car company that doesn't offer creature comforts with a manual... The best you can do is a Touring tech package 6. Anything higher and it's a slush box. But that's the American buyer, and not the typical forum member.

All that said, the CX-3 is in an interesting and surprisingly popular segment, and it looks quite good. I see a lot of Nissan Juke's, BMW X1's, Infiniti E35's, and Mini Countryman's around... Well, more than I expected at least. It's funny, the smaller/lower these things get, the closer to a wagon they become... The general society is so screwey... "We hate wagons!!!" "But give us lower to the ground, 5 door, sorta-wagons with tall seats and less handling, but the same ground clearance..." (headshake) (lol2)

I like the three-tone interior a lot. I wonder what the chances are that will be available for anything under 30k.

Nice to see all you Coloradans coming out of the woodwork with your crossovers :p - apparently I'm the only one on here from CO with a 2. I really like the new CX-3, and will like it even more if it delivers the same kind of fuel economy you get with a 3 or a 6. Living here, I would like the ground clearance sometimes, and the AWD would be nice. So I'm pretty stoked to learn more about this car. The only sore spot is that it doesn't seem to be coming to the U.S. with a manual. The six-speed auto is still pretty good, but I'm not entirely sure I could get over that discrepancy. Not yet.

Last edited:
All you folks who want manuals should definitely drive Mazda's automatic before you decline a car like this. While the rest of the market is going CVT and the reviewers are tolerating them, I think Mazdas automatic transmission is excellent and will be a strong plus compared to the competition. I drove manual for twenty years and had the same love but after a year in my CX-5 auto I'm not looking back at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back