Intermittent surge

Hello all. I own a 2016 cx 5 with the 2.5l engine. Every now and then I experience a surge forward as if I stabbed the accelerator. This "surge" lasts only a moment and happens after the car has sat overnight or all day at my job. It never happens in reverse, while I'm backing out. It happens when I then shift in to drive after pulling out of a drive way for instance. After this surge, the car drives fine for two or three weeks. Then it'll happen again.

Of course, I've taken the car to the dealership and of course it didn't do it for them. They kept it for a couple of days trying to replicate the problem. They said since the problem is intermittent, it is tough to diagnose.

Had anyone else had this happen or heard of it happen?

My vehicle will do that if I don't let the engine come down to an idle after a cold start. I usually let my engine reduce RZPMs to 1,000 or so before shifting. ed

This might have something to do with the accelerated warm up system.
After a cold start, the car wants to rev at higher RPM until the catalytic converter is warmed up.

However, the software logic only lets it rev when the car is not in gear.

So maybe sometimes after backing up, you take a little longer than usual to shift through neutral on your way from R to D and the car thinks its in neutral so it revs the engine up to help warm it up quickly.
A split second later you're in D and trying to drive away while the engine is still reving high so you feel a surge.

On the manual transmission models this is especially annoying because it's the clutch that controls the logic, so as I'm releasing the clutch the engine will suddenly drop from high RPM to low RPM and the car bucks like crazy.

Last edited:
Hmmm...you guys might be on to something. I'll try waiting until the accelerated warm up cycle finishes before I drive. Hopefully, this will solve the problem.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Hmmm...you guys might be on to something. I'll try waiting until the accelerated warm up cycle finishes before I drive. Hopefully, this will solve the problem.

Thanks for the quick replies.

You should be able to drive off before the warm-up cycle is over (I think it says so in the owners manual?).
Might be enough to just pause for a split second after shifting into drive after reversing when the car is cold.

Sounds like shift shock. If it becomes more frequent, this could be one of the 2016's with the transmission that needs replacing... there's other threads about it. What's the build date? It's on a sticker on the driver's door sill

Last edited:
Here's a quick update on my car.

I have since learned that if I pause for a brief moment (a second or two) before shifting from reverse to drive, the surge doesn't occur. I wouldn't say that I rush to press the accelerator as soon as I shift to drive from reverse, but maybe I was going a little too fast for the skyactiv trans.

My current theory is that when the engine is going through its accelerated warmup and the aggressive torque lock up Mazda engineered can make the car feel like I dumped the clutch in a manual drive if I move quickly from Reverse to Drive and am quick on the gas.

Again the issue was very intermittent and only occurred when the engine was completely cold. When it does happen, it only happens once and then drives completely normal. I let a tech from the dealership drive the car to and from work for a week. The car drove completely fine for him.

I'll post again if the problem occurs again.

You're having the same issue I have with mine. It only surges, intermittently, when shifting from R to D when engine is cold, when pulling out of my driveway. Other than that, the car drives like a champ.

You're having the same issue I have with mine. It only surges, intermittently, when shifting from R to D when engine is cold, when pulling out of my driveway. Other than that, the car drives like a champ.

Yup. Sounds like we're having the same issue. So far so good with my pausing a second or two after shifting into drive before I press the accelerator. I've been doing this for two or so weeks and no surge.

I have the same exact problem with my '14 2.5, reverse to drive when car is cold causes a multi second delay and surge. Has anyone found a solution besides trany replacement that worked? I've got 45k on it, problem didn't start until recently.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have the same exact problem with my '14 2.5, reverse to drive when car is cold causes a multi second delay and surge. Has anyone found a solution besides trany replacement that worked? I've got 45k on it, problem didn't start until recently.

Wait until the accelerated warm up cycle finishes OR pause a second or two after shifting into drive before pressing the accelerator.

Wait until the accelerated warm up cycle finishes OR pause a second or two after shifting into drive before pressing the accelerator.
Yep, tried both of those. Experimented on flat vs hill driveway. The other day I pulled out of a flat drive way on a mild day, no hesitation. First time in a month.

Found another trick that has worked for the last 3 days on a row. When shifting to drive from reverse, instead of hitting acceleratoe, s*** back to park, the immediatley to drive. The car will engage normally with no surge. Of course this doesn't solve the problem.

Back