Intermittent no crank unless shifter wiggle (2012 CX-9)

Hello need help, we have an intermittent no crank situation on a 2012 cx9 V6, if we wiggle the shifter it will start.

I would have thought it was the neutral safety switch but I can't find one listed.

Any help?

Yes, I'm not seeing one on the parts sites either. Are you able to see the top of the transaxle case, where the linkage coming through the firewall is connected? That's where that switch is normally located. I'm not familiar with your vehicle, but on some a linkage problem at the shifter can also create this no-crank condition. When the problem occurs, is the P indicator on the dash still lit up? Have you tried putting in neutral when this happens?

So I can't see the top of the transaxle, frankly haven't looked yet, but I will look at the P indicator next time, when this happens it actually won't start, I have tried it in N as well and it won't start at all, as I shake the shifter around it will then start in either N or P position

Not quite the same, but this is an issue with some 5th gen Ford Explorers.

There's a switch in the center console that's the issue. The transmission is in park by the cable, but the switch by the shifter doesn't get triggered so the computer doesn't think it's in park.

Maybe you have a loose wire in there that makes intermittent contact?

Not quite the same, but this is an issue with some 5th gen Ford Explorers.

There's a switch in the center console that's the issue. The transmission is in park by the cable, but the switch by the shifter doesn't get triggered so the computer doesn't think it's in park.

Maybe you have a loose wire in there that makes intermittent contact?
I will look into this

Yes, I'm not seeing one on the parts sites either. Are you able to see the top of the transaxle case, where the linkage coming through the firewall is connected? That's where that switch is normally located. I'm not familiar with your vehicle, but on some a linkage problem at the shifter can also create this no-crank condition. When the problem occurs, is the P indicator on the dash still lit up? Have you tried putting in neutral when this happens?
So the P is there and there is no crank, I can't seem to find any documentation on this, I might have to take it to our local mechanic as I don't have the tools or time where I am

So the P is there and there is no crank, I can't seem to find any documentation on this, I might have to take it to our local mechanic as I don't have the tools or time where I am
Understood, and hopefully you'll get a speedy and not off-the-wall cost to repair. Be sure to mention the wiggling part of this multiple times, so that they don't just automatically throw on a new starter (because that's what some of them will do). Based on the P lighting up, I suspect the problem is related to wiring or linkage in in the console, but of course diagnostic testing is required as always, in order to identify the actual cause.

Understood, and hopefully you'll get a speedy and not off-the-wall cost to repair. Be sure to mention the wiggling part of this multiple times, so that they don't just automatically throw on a new starter (because that's what some of them will do). Based on the P lighting up, I suspect the problem is related to wiring or linkage in in the console, but of course diagnostic testing is required as always, in order to identify the actual cause.
Thanks yeah the mechanics here are pretty old school, in southern mexico right now, I suspect if there is a switch or sensor in the console that is the culprit, but I don't have the tools to take it all apart right here

I had the same issue with a 2010 mazda 3. The car won’t start until it knows it is in park. The transmission selector cable corrode and get stuck in the « not-park » position. Changing that cable corrects the problem.

Back