Input wanted: Is $2300 worth 15K miles?

squidly

I'm going to the dealer this weekend to get a
2008 AWD sport with the power seat as the only option.

They have a used 2008 with 15K miles and some tire wear
for $2300 less than a new 2008 with the exact same everything.

I'm leaning toward the used one....I think.
Any thoughts? I usually keep my cars 8 years if that sways your decisions.

not worth it... 15K miles for an '08 is A LOT

and being a sport, and having so many miles in such a short period of time, I'm sure it was beat on.

It was a manager's car that he got in Oct 2007.
I checked the VIN's origin and their story seems legit.

Yeah, 2500/month is a lot, isn't it?

See if they can drop it even more... they should easily be able to drop 5K, if not more.

When my dad was looking for a new car, in the spring of 06, we looked at a fully loaded '05 mazda3 station wagon with 0 miles, all the options, leather, naviagion, the works, and the dealer was going to let it go for around 17K... sticker price being over 24K.

Even thoug it's an "08" model, it's actually an '07 car. If they are willing to drop 7K on a car with 0... well, more like 23 miles on the odometer, they shouldn't have a problem dropping that much or more on one that has 15,000 miles.

It's your money, fight for it.

15k is a lot of miles. Basically they are giving you 15 cents per mile discount on the car. I believe 15 cents/mile is the typical rate.

I'm personally would go for the new one unless the dealer offered at least $3750 off the used one and even then I would still think twice because you have no idea what the used car has been through..

Last edited:
Is the difference sticker or have you already beat them down on price? If your paying sticker, you're paying too much either way.

15k is a lot of miles. Basically they are giving you 15 cents per mile discount on the car. I believe 15 cents/mile is the typical rate.

I'm personally would go for the new one unless the dealer offered at least $3750 off the used one and even then I would still think twice because you have no idea what the used car has been through..

plus warranty would be 15k shorter on the used one unless you can convince them to extend it.

Not enough

When you buy a new CX-9 drive it for 15,000 miles. Stop back by and and ask them to take it back. Do you think they will do it for $5,000 less? $10,000 less?

If you decide to put off your purchase PM me and I will sell you mine at 15,000 for less than they are talking to you about.

It costs about 50 cents a mile to own a car over its life. The most expensive miles are in the first three years because of accelerated depreciation.

Mike

Thanks for the replies. The new one is $5000 off MSRP.
I think everyone here is right, the new one is the way to go.

I picked up a fully loaded 2007 CX9 GT with NAV and all for $31k.

No, it isn't worth it.

I buy and sell cars a LOT and I've always watched the price they dealer marks the car back up. Buy it for $18k, sell it for $27k.

Don't do it. Spend the extra cash and get a brand new one, in the color you want, with a FULL warranty.

Another vote for the new one. New is new. You do not know who was driving used one. It might be a dealer's 17th year old son, who was flooring it from the day 1. This might cause some problems later on, especially with 40% warranty left on the car.

I ended up getting a NEW stormy-blue AWD sport with Bose/moonroof, pwr seat and remote start.
Thanks for the input everyone.

Back