Infotainment Screen cracking (spider cracks)

My cx9 did this. I called Mazda directly and there is an extended 7 year warranty on the screen because they know there are problems with some of them. My car has 90,000 miles and they replaced it for free!
Could you show me the photo? thx~

Looking at new CX-5s at our local dealer and saw a 2018 CX-9 GS-L with low kms. Test drove both and prefered the CX-9 but it had the cracked infotainment screen.

infoscreen.JPG

The dealer said Mazda would not cover it and he didn't want to pay for it. But we liked the car, the price was OK and I figured we could go after Mazda for it, so we bought it. Found this forum and read all these postings, so as a first step we tried another dealer who has a good reputation. They said they had to submit it to Mazda and now two weeks later they have informed us it's approved and the screen has been ordered. I don't know if the dealer that we bought the car from just didn't bother to claim it or if the other dealer pushed harder but at least we are getting the new screen.

Looking at new CX-5s at our local dealer and saw a 2018 CX-9 GS-L with low kms. Test drove both and prefered the CX-9 but it had the cracked infotainment screen.View attachment 301975
The dealer said Mazda would not cover it and he didn't want to pay for it. But we liked the car, the price was OK and I figured we could go after Mazda for it, so we bought it. Found this forum and read all these postings, so as a first step we tried another dealer who has a good reputation. They said they had to submit it to Mazda and now two weeks later they have informed us it's approved and the screen has been ordered. I don't know if the dealer that we bought the car from just didn't bother to claim it or if the other dealer pushed harder but at least we are getting the new screen.

Happy to hear you were able to get the screen replaced on their dime. I'd say that the original dealer probably didn't care as much for some reason.

I wonder if this represents a change in policy? There was a lady in Steinbach (just East of Winnipeg) who owns (or owned? Might have sold it she was pretty pissed off) who had a 2018 with a cracked screen. Took it to the dealer and they refused to fix it. I think she tried to escalate it to Mazda but last I heard she wanted to sell it.

Mazda should have just extended the screen warranty on all vehicles, not just the 2016/2017s. That was a major misstep.

I don’t get how the screen can do that without it being hit or anything. This is a common problem from what I see and should be taken care of by the dealer. They told me the entire thing would need to replaced not just the screen and that’s like $7000.
Whoa are you sure that's all they were going to replace? Sounds a bit excessive, they
aren't swapping out a transmission here... lol

Looking at new CX-5s at our local dealer and saw a 2018 CX-9 GS-L with low kms. Test drove both and prefered the CX-9 but it had the cracked infotainment screen.

View attachment 301975

Screen was replaced today. 1/2 hour and they washed the car. No problems.

Posting my (positive) experience getting this fixed, in hopes that it helps others.
I purchased a (NTM) 2018 CX-9 GT in August ('21) and had noticed some cracking in the upper right corner.
CMUCrack.jpg

I thought the car was good enough at the time to buy, all else considered, and this was a trade in to a German car dealer so they didn't care about fixing it.

After reading about the TSBs covering the 2016, 2017, and 2018 model years, and the SSP covering only '16 & '17, and based on some posts earlier in this thread, I reached out to Mazda corporate about it via email. They replied, basically asking if I had spoken to my dealer and if not, to start there.

I took it into my local dealer (of which I only have one). I printed out the TSB, highlighted the section about it being a faulty display; printed out the SSP; printed out a full-page color photo of my screen similar to the photo above. I brought these items to the service counter and explained that there was a bulletin on faulty displays, that the SSP didn't cover my year explicitly, but I had heard/read about Mazda corporate covering the '18's on a case-by-case basis.

There was some question about whether I purchased the car from them (no), whether I was the original owner (no, I am #2), whether the car is under warranty (no, 45k miles). I made sure to mention that I would have bought this car from them if they had it, but their inventory is bone dry and they know it all too well. Long dialog short, I basically was asking the lady at the service counter to be my advocate to Mazda corporate on this issue, and that they had asked that I make the request through a dealer.

The lady at the service counter mentioned that she wasn't sure what they could do, as the parts and labor cost money, etc, etc. I mentioned that I thought Mazda corporate would reimburse dealer for all parts and labor, and she was like, oh, well yeah, but let me talk to the service manager about this and see what we can do. After she had a brief convo with manager, she came back out and said they'd submit the issue to corporate and went through all the right motions - namely, came out to car and inspected the display to make sure I didn't hit it with a rock, took more info (mileage, VIN, etc).

The sales guy I had been chatting up while waiting for the manager conversation to end also came out to car with us and said he had never heard of this issue before but was pretty interested in seeing it first hand. I figured it would be good to have a revenue generator at least in the orbit of this conversation, somehow.

They submitted the issue to Mazda. In the meantime, a new crack started developing this month amidst some pretty cold weather. It's in the lower right now.
CMUNewCrack.jpg

About four days after I had taken it in, I heard back that Mazda would cover it all if I paid a $100 deductible. "Absolutely," says I. Considering the part alone would set me back about $1800 or so, this was more than acceptable to me. Based on the language they were using, I'm guessing Mazda corporate is making a claim against their own insurance, but who knows.

By the time I took it in for the scheduled service, the crack in the lower right had grown.
CMUNewCrackExpanding.jpg

So based on previous posts I read, it would seem cold weather has certainly aggravated this. I travelled South to buy the car, and brought it back North where temps are considerably colder than what this car has been used to by a pretty wide margin.

The new screen is in and crack-free so far. The part number listed on the invoice is TK49-61-1J0B. The line item says, "The factory warranty covering this repair has expired. Assistance has been provided as a one time goodwill gesture by the manufacturer." The invoice also lists process number AL009a, S99, D99, labor op XXS1ZXRX, .2 hours. This info matches the TSB items, but on my invoice was listed in the notes, so this could merely reflect the information I provided to them vs. what they were operating under from Mazda's coverage.

Anyway, new screen is in, no cracks, looks great. Kudos to my local Mazda dealer and Mazda corporate for backing up this claim. Good luck to any of you pursuing a fix for 2018 models! Totally worth it to ask the question, but the sooner the better, I'm guessing.

The sales guy I had been chatting up while waiting for the manager conversation to end also came out to car with us and said he had never heard of this issue before
It amazes me how many times, regardless of the brand, that the dealership folks "never heard of" whatever issue you bring to their attention. Something like this that's been a known problem for quite some time somehow escaped their notice.

Forums like this have been invaluable to me in providing insight into existing or potential problems that I would have otherwise been ignorant of and the dealer would never voluntarily tell me about.

Having my 2018 cx9 serviced today and also having the screen checked out. I showed them the TSB and they just told me sorry your vehicle vin number doesn’t pull up anything. Called corporate and they also told me , sorry, your basically sh$t out of luck. I only have 48 thousand miles on the car. Corporate is basically telling me it’s basic wear and tear. Hahahahah. - I think my next car will be a Yota.

Attachments

• 809A8341-8C93-4C45-9FD4-10B6D209E74B.jpeg
    809A8341-8C93-4C45-9FD4-10B6D209E74B.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 155
Having my 2018 cx9 serviced today and also having the screen checked out. I showed them the TSB and they just told me sorry your vehicle vin number doesn’t pull up anything. Called corporate and they also told me , sorry, your basically sh$t out of luck. I only have 48 thousand miles on the car. Corporate is basically telling me it’s basic wear and tear. Hahahahah. - I think my next car will be a Yota.
Sorry man, that's some BS. I'm not sure what the magic trick is of if there is one. They clearly know it affects 2018 models. I think some other people here have mentioned complaining to BBB as well, and to the extent more of these are "on record" maybe there will be pressure for them to extend the coverage to 2018 officially.
I don't know if it would be worth it, but maybe take to another dealer and adjust your approach? I mean, it sucks but at this point we are asking them to elect to do a "good will" replacement. The local dealer should make some money having their tech hours reimbursed. I had to pay a "deposit" of $100. So maybe selling it to another dealer as good for you, good for me, dealer just need to convince corporate that it's worthwhile on your behalf, which probably involves them believing that you are a good future customer - that doing this means you'll come back to buy another car. Maybe even tell other dealer that you'd make them 'your' dealer going forward if they help you with this, even if they're out of the way. I mean, if my local dealer stiff-armed me on this, and another one helped me out, I'd never go back to the local dealer.

Sorry man, that's some BS. I'm not sure what the magic trick is of if there is one. They clearly know it affects 2018 models. I think some other people here have mentioned complaining to BBB as well, and to the extent more of these are "on record" maybe there will be pressure for them to extend the coverage to 2018 officially.
I don't know if it would be worth it, but maybe take to another dealer and adjust your approach? I mean, it sucks but at this point we are asking them to elect to do a "good will" replacement. The local dealer should make some money having their tech hours reimbursed. I had to pay a "deposit" of $100. So maybe selling it to another dealer as good for you, good for me, dealer just need to convince corporate that it's worthwhile on your behalf, which probably involves them believing that you are a good future customer - that doing this means you'll come back to buy another car. Maybe even tell other dealer that you'd make them 'your' dealer going forward if they help you with this, even if they're out of the way. I mean, if my local dealer stiff-armed me on this, and another one helped me out, I'd never go back to the local dealer.
Roger that. Right now they have me trying to do the leg work myself and telling me to send the invoice and paper work to them to see if they will provide the go ahead to do a “good will” fix. I doubt it but , I promised myself that in 2022 I’d keep my cool and just go with the flow. If not , like I said, I’ll go buy a Yota next time. However , love the turbo in these buggers. Lol. Aloha.

This is sound advice. Exactly what I would do if I were in @Row's situation.

Your screen looks hella small, idk if that is a cx-9 screen, thats definitely not a cx-9 screen

Last edited:
OK. the crack is getting bigger and bigger!!! Mazda Canada seems to tell me theres nothing they can do about it. I will start the small claims process, since this problem is in no way normal and Mazda knows about it. They keep having this problem with CX3, CX5 and CX9.

Attachments

• 0858A493-BF44-461C-BEC7-26480804AC6E.jpeg
    0858A493-BF44-461C-BEC7-26480804AC6E.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 185
  • C3C3D5ED-5825-48FC-9195-F5845F53F017.jpeg
    C3C3D5ED-5825-48FC-9195-F5845F53F017.jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 4FB36E3E-3FA8-4114-AB6A-B122C2C1E7B5.jpeg
    4FB36E3E-3FA8-4114-AB6A-B122C2C1E7B5.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 123
I will start the small claims process, since this problem is in no way normal and Mazda knows about it. They keep having this problem with CX3, CX5 and CX9.
I'm completely fascinated by this - who is the claim made against (dealer, mazda NA, both)? Please keep us posted with your progress.

Why does it seem like folks in Canada have to deal with anti consumer friendly policies, dealer scumbagery and more overall scandalous businesses who are not punished for their unsavory ways? It's like the govt is giving the finger to consumer protections and looks the other way. I can't believe the things I hear and see that goes on with no action taken.

Why does it seem like folks in Canada have to deal with anti consumer friendly policies, dealer scumbagery and more overall scandalous businesses who are not punished for their unsavory ways? It's like the govt is giving the finger to consumer protections and looks the other way. I can't believe the things I hear and see that goes on with no action taken.
Couldn't agree more but let's stay on topic please

Back