Infotainment Screen cracking (spider cracks)

There is a recall for the cracking of the infotainment center screen but not for later models. If you have this problem, please contact Mazda Customer service at 800.222.5500 so the issue can be documented and hopefully they will issue a recall. I was told that if a recall is issued, they will even reimburse anyone who has paid for the repair. They do not monitor online forums so please let them know if you have an issue with a shattered screen. It sure ruins the looks of my car and is an expensive repair if you are not under warranty. I was impressed with their cust service. My call was answered by an English speaking, knowledgeable, pleasant, human after 4 rings! Outstanding!

They don't follow forums, but tweeting photos of your broken screen and tagging Mazda's Twitter account might get their attention. Especially if you do it frequently.

They don't follow forums, but tweeting photos of your broken screen and tagging Mazda's Twitter account might get their attention. Especially if you do it frequently.
Spoke to Mazda they refuse to recognize the issue. All they are saying is my vehicle is out of warranty. Hell ya my vehicle is 3 years old and of course its over 36000 miles I live in a major metro area in TX 25k miles a year is normal. The lady told me just wait till, even if, mazda will make this a recall issue.

Was it covered within the warranty?
I just noticed this... Yes it was. here in Canada, the 2016 and 2017 CX-9s are covered, although it might depend on VIN. Anyway, someone on Facebook who lives one town over has a 2018 with the same issue and they told her they won't fix it. It wouldn't be so bad if the 8" screen had a reasonable cost, but CAN$1600+ just for the part is outrageous. I mean, literally, it's just a touch screen and not a particularly good one at that. The part number I listed above is for the screen + housing, or assembly. If we could just replace the internal screen, I bet that would be a common item that's certainly used in other devices and is probably worth $50 tops.

I think it is just a matter of time until the 2018 starts getting replaced as well. But I could be wrong, you never know with these things.

Side note...Mazda knows about this Community and I wouldn't be surprised if they do check here even if they don't seem to interact (at least not officially)...Plus posts can appear in Google, Bing search etc for all to see, Mazda must notice that!

So please continue to post here and in detail if you're experiencing this issue (as well as any resolutions).

Having the same issue with my 2016 CX3 !!!! 51000 km... It gets worse when temperature changes. Mazda just refuse to do anything about it. Guess i'll go further with social media post (twitter) and above. VERY disappointed ........ Where to start to do a class action?

Attachments

• mazda.jpg
    mazda.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 330
Having the same issue with my 2016 CX3 !!!! 51000 km... It gets worse when temperature changes. Mazda just refuse to do anything about it. Guess i'll go further with social media post (twitter) and above. VERY disappointed ........ Where to start to do a class action?
Where are you located?

Montreal, quebec. Canada

That's weird, because I thought Mazda Canada warrantied all the screens for 2016/2017 models. I know that the 2018+ models were not covered, but yours should be. Unless Quebec has different rules/policies? Try a Mazda dealership in Ontario perhaps?

I confirm warranty policies are applied country wide, regardless of provinces. I would try a different dealer, there are tons in Montreal.

This JUST happened on my 2019 CX-9 with 40k miles (outside of 36k bumper to bumper warranty). Over the course of 2 weeks 3 corners developed internal cracks/delamination. I just called the local Mazda dealer and was told it would be over $1k to fix. I'm shocked this is covered for 2016s but not a 2019...

cracckedscreen3.jpg

This JUST happened on my 2019 CX-9 with 40k miles (outside of 36k bumper to bumper warranty). Over the course of 2 weeks 3 corners developed internal cracks/delamination. I just called the local Mazda dealer and was told it would be over $1k to fix. I'm shocked this is covered for 2016s but not a 2019...View attachment 298477
Contact Mazda corporate asap.

I succeeded by writing to my Capital City Newspaper Cars section (readers seek help etc) and getting the Cars Writer to follow Mazda on my behalf, as they hate bad Publicity in Newspapers etc. Result - replaced free of charge on 5 year old Mazda CX-3 in Australia (no snow here in Melbourne). See my post Feb 2021.

You could probably try posting those photos as a reply to every tweet Mazda corporate makes as well.

Thank you for posting this. I have a 2017 CX-9. Bought it used and declined the ext warranty. Thought i was SOL until i saw this. I noticed the first crack on my screen back in February when we hit a cold spell while it was parked outside. I thought it was trapped moisture/condensation since i couldnt feel the crack. A few weeks ago i noticed the second one forming on the bottom right corner and recently it started to get bigger and lines started to form. I called the Mazda dealership today, gave my Vin#, sent a pic of the screen by email, service got back to me saying that they have ordered the part and will be replaced at no charge. Someone posted this letter which helped.

Attachments

• 20210519_091417.jpg
    20210519_091417.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 453
  • 20200616_103945.jpg
    20200616_103945.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 487
Welp finally happened on my 2016, casualty of the BC/west coast heat wave.

Is there a TSB or letter from Mazda Canada? I've mostly seen the Mazda North America (US) one.

crack.JPG

Is there a TSB or letter from Mazda Canada? I've mostly seen the Mazda North America (US) one.

View attachment 300477

View attachment 300477
Had the same issue here in MB when we hit a cold spell in January. I would call the Mazda dealership and give your Vin#. They are aware that Mazda extended the warranty on the screen for 7 years for certain CX-9 built from 2016-17. I Had no issue with the dealership, sent a pic of the screen by email, they ordered the parts and got confirmation the same day. Just in case, here's the letter that i found on here. Didnt have to use it but it was good to have. Hope you have the same result as i did. Good luck!

Attachments

• 20200616_103945.jpg
    20200616_103945.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 370
  • Screenshot_20210519-085444_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210519-085444_Drive.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 350
Had the same issue here in MB when we hit a cold spell in January. I would call the Mazda dealership and give your Vin#. They are aware that Mazda extended the warranty on the screen for 7 years for certain CX-9 built from 2016-17. I Had no issue with the dealership, sent a pic of the screen by email, they ordered the parts and got confirmation the same day. Just in case, here's the letter that i found on here. Didnt have to use it but it was good to have. Hope you have the same result as i did. Good luck!
Thanks. Just scheduled an appointment with my local dealership for inspection.

Hi~ everybody, I come from Taiwan, my car is 2018 CX9, this is my problem below.

When the MZD display turn off, I can see some water marks IN the screen, I usually clean the screen by dry cloth or lens paper. so I'm sure that problem is not anti-glare or coating damage.

MAZDA say that problem is my fault, but they have no evidence to show me why the screen become like that.

I guess this is same problem like the "SPIDER CRACKING".

Attachments

• 219719437_10159440973706878_6022953076003253970_n.jpg
    219719437_10159440973706878_6022953076003253970_n.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
My cx9 did this. I called Mazda directly and there is an extended 7 year warranty on the screen because they know there are problems with some of them. My car has 90,000 miles and they replaced it for free!

Back