In Search Of......

1stP5

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Im new to the P5 world and to Mazda's, wondering if anybody has some time to let me pick their brain about my P5 and some repairs and upgrades I wanna do to it

well I forgot some of my darn questions...didn't know u had replied. im also new to forums. lol well first off I would like to know if u have any good affordable sites for performance add ons or any type of parts for P5's. I shop on rockauto a lot. I need rotors. it has drilled and slotted and one or both of them is warped. I have lots of play in the stick. I would like to know if there is a bushing at the bottom of the stick? i know of the 1 at the tranny. Im just basically looking for advice from time to time. I have some big plans for my P5

keep an eye on your coil packs, they are notorious for failure. if you get a bad misfire and check engine light suspect coils first. you might seafoam the engine. there was a thread around on a how to but i cannot find it anymore. basically warm up the car (by driving preferably) then shut car off, disconnect the vacuum line at the brake booster (on drivers side firewall, if you dont know) turn the car back on (it will idle a little bad) slowly pour about 1/3 to 1/2 the can into it. (dont allow it to die while doing this) then cut the car off and reconnect hose to booster, then let it sit 5-30 minutes and then go drive it (its going to smoke, and there maybe a lot, depending on how dirty the innards of the engine are) drive a little hard until smoke clears then drive normal after. then just enjoy the cleanliness you gave the engine.

for performance there is a little to do to help it. obviously air intake (either a drop in k &n filter, or whole kit) i have a drop in and it give a slightly noticeable bump, but i did it so i dont have to change it once a year. (save money)

then you could free up the exhaust some by buying mufflers performance exhaust kits ect.

iridium spark plugs come to mind ngk ix iridium part #5464 (or BKR5EIX-11) upgraded coils and wires.

clutch upgrade if you plan on racing (stock is kinda slow)

lower it, strut upgrades

many more just dont wanna make this so long

well I forgot some of my darn questions...didn't know u had replied. im also new to forums. lol well first off I would like to know if u have any good affordable sites for performance add ons or any type of parts for P5's. I shop on rockauto a lot. I need rotors. it has drilled and slotted and one or both of them is warped. I have lots of play in the stick. I would like to know if there is a bushing at the bottom of the stick? i know of the 1 at the tranny. Im just basically looking for advice from time to time. I have some big plans for my P5

For rotors I use brembo blanks and currently have stop tech pads up front. Great performance, just pretty dusty. Drilled/slotted is a waste of money and provides no benefit over a quality blank. Your rotors are likely not warped, but have poor pad material distribution, or have been contaminated. If you had a good blank rotor, you could have it machined for less than the price of the cheapest available replacement. Drilled rotors can not be machined and must be replaced.

For the shifter, there are 2 bushings. Just get OEM replacements for a couple bucks, after markets are a huge waste of money. Some shifter feel can benefit from replacing the shift rod bushings (transmission end) but the shifter itself can just use the stock plastic type bushings and feels great. You might be lucky and maybe the bolt is just loose. Its very sensitive to torque and shifter feel. A 1/4 turn of the nut can be the difference between a sloppy loose shifter and one that's too tight.

For slotted rotors, I went to autopartswarehouse.com
Their prices are okay, not as good as rockauto, but rockauto doesn't carry slotted rotors. Or you can just replace them with non-slotted rotors from rockauto.com

rock auto has a slotted/drilled rotor and ceramic pad set 4 all 4 wheels i used and its been great.

Ive thought of a chip. Ive done the intake already. Someone thinks I have a mazdspeed
exhaust on it. Feels to have had a clutch. Ita already lowered. 205/40 17's on it. Hid fogs
and headlights. Carbon fiber mazda speed grill and a cool stormtrooper shift knob

Im also gonna add sum titanium exhaust wrap to a few things to help performance

there are no "performance chips" for our cars. at least none that do anything. there are piggyback or standalone ECU's, but you need a lot of mods and or turbo before they become usefull.

titanium exhaust wrap isn't going to net you any performance gains either. it will aid with lower under hood temps, which being in texas would be helpful, but don't expect any gains. i myself just wrapped my 4-1 header in DEI titanium exhaust wrap. pretty happy with how easy it was to work with. when it came to the collector area and 1st o2 sensor bung it got a little crazy but overall i think i did a decent job for a 1st time header wrap. i couldn't really tell you why i did it. i guess mainly to prevent heat soak during autoslalom events more than anything. it looks pretty sweet too but i never have my hood up to show off my wickedly stock engine.

yeah im pretty new to mazdas so I will take any suggestions. I work in a stereo shop and one of my co workers suggested I wrap my metal cold air in exhaust wrap because I may b robbing performance because of metal conduct heat. It has a stock exhaust with the heat shield. I have only owned it a month and half and I have a big list of hings I wanna do to it. I will probably mainly do visual things cuz the car has 132000 miles and I cant afford to rebuild the engine so I can supercharge it or boost it. So any suggestions are very much welcomed

I'm still learning this car. the previous owner had done some cool stuff to it. it has potential to b so much more. I plan on adding a system to it with 2 high powered 8's c I still wanna have a lil space in the back. Any suggestions on websites for affordable performance items?

Even the high dollar cai's don't add much power maybe 3 hp so I doubt you're losing much. Cams full exhaust and intake only net about 15-20 whp

You're better off building the suspension if you don't plan on boosting it

well its already dropped pretty low, not sure what quality its is I know I need new rotors, sway bar links and sway bar bushings. maybe a rear strut support. not sure if that's what its called. it has MSR 17's on 205/40 so the stance looks good

Back