Improvements that are needed on CX-5

backpackerx

:
2014 CX-5 Touring w/Tech
I've had my 2014 Touring with Tech and Moonroof packages for about 3 weeks and 1,000 miles and thought I'd share a quick thoughts on things that need improved upon.

Overall I love the CX-5 and would definitely buy it again so this isn't a complaint thread, just some observations of what could stand to be improved.

1. The driver's armrest is way too low and non adjustable. It doesn't really work well for me. I'm 5'10 if it matters.

2. The backup camera sticks out a little too far from the trunk so it gets covered in water every time it rains even lightly and makes it so you can't see well with it.

3. The rain sensing wipers don't start working for up to 20 seconds on start up. Scenario: It's raining and they work great while driving. You park and shut off for gas or an errand. Come back and start up and the rain is beading on the windshield and covering the view but wipers don't kick on even after driving for a little bit. Seems like it takes them a while to catch back on.

4. The TomTom voice recognition is comically bad for everything but addresses, where it is amazingly accurate. I don't have a thick accent and don't normally have issues with any other voice recognition software but this is plain awful. I have yet to have it recognize a POI I've told it. I can say, navigate to nearest Walmart and it will say, "Ok, navigate to nearest Office Depot.". I can then say, Navigate to Office Depot since it obviously recognizes that and it will repeat some insane thing back that doesn't resemble Office Depot in the slightest. The weird part is that if I say an address it gets it right every single time. Even difficult street names it does well on. Weird.

5. No lights on the homelink buttons on the dimming mirror that comes with Tech package. That and a general lack of lights on many buttons (window switches other than drivers) etc. make it hard to find controls at night.

What I love: The 2.5 engine is great and perfect for this crossover. The ride and handling are fantastic too and I love everything not mentioned above.

Last edited:
I agree on most of your findings. I'm 5'10" also but find the armrest height fine. My hand falls down right on to the knob when I'm resting my arm. I find the home link/garage door button difficult to find in the dark as well. Rain sensing wipers aren't quick on start up and sometimes too frequent when it wipes. My major gripe is the location of the clock. Wish it was on screen or located near the top or integrated in instrument cluster. Also the right gauge of cluster doesn't display any other information I'd be interested in like time for example, relocation of outside temperature, compass, or maybe digital readout of speed. Another thing is lack of a couple more cubby space. Maybe one below the sd card slot, another to split the arm rest. One more thing is on my GT with tech package the driver gets powered seat but the passenger gets a manual seat with limited adjustments. That's just like my wife's VW golf.

Last edited:
Could not agree more about the lack of lighting on key switches on on the interior. With three garage doors I almost never get the right one.

Can the rain-sensing wipers be manually over ridden? I may get a GT but I really don't like this feature. I'd rather just flip them on myself and hopefully they start working immediately.

Can the rain-sensing wipers be manually over ridden? I may get a GT but I really don't like this feature. I'd rather just flip them on myself and hopefully they start working immediately.
Yes, the next click down, the wipers wipe in time interval like a car without rain sensing wipers.

I wish the rear glass opened to get smaller items in & out of the back. My '03 Matrix had it & I liked it.

I've had my 2014 Touring with Tech and Moonroof packages for about 3 weeks and 1,000 miles and thought I'd share a quick thoughts on things that need improved upon.

Overall I love the CX-5 and would definitely buy it again so this isn't a complaint thread, just some observations of what could stand to be improved.

1. The driver's armrest is way too low and non adjustable. It doesn't really work well for me. I'm 5'10 if it matters.
I beg to differ at 5'11". It is just the perfect height, and I am not double jointed so I need good a relaxed and comfortable position to shift while my elbow is resting on the armrest. If anything, half an inch lower would be even better. A leather stitched and padded armrest would be nice.

2. The backup camera sticks out a little too far from the trunk so it gets covered in water every time it rains even lightly and makes it so you can't see well with it.
Can't exactly comment on this as I have had no trouble with it. The water would still reach it due to the rear being a large stagnation point.

3. The rain sensing wipers don't start working for up to 20 seconds on start up. Scenario: It's raining and they work great while driving. You park and shut off for gas or an errand. Come back and start up and the rain is beading on the windshield and covering the view but wipers don't kick on even after driving for a little bit. Seems like it takes them a while to catch back on.
I just turn the damn thing rain sensing setting off. I hate the feature as it wipes too quick even in the slowest setting.

4. The TomTom voice recognition is comically bad for everything but addresses, where it is amazingly accurate. I don't have a thick accent and don't normally have issues with any other voice recognition software but this is plain awful. I have yet to have it recognize a POI I've told it. I can say, navigate to nearest Walmart and it will say, "Ok, navigate to nearest Office Depot.". I can then say, Navigate to Office Depot since it obviously recognizes that and it will repeat some insane thing back that doesn't resemble Office Depot in the slightest. The weird part is that if I say an address it gets it right every single time. Even difficult street names it does well on. Weird.
Agreed.

5. No lights on the homelink buttons on the dimming mirror that comes with Tech package. That and a general lack of lights on many buttons (window switches other than drivers) etc. make it hard to find controls at night.

Agreed also.

What I love: The 2.5 engine is great and perfect for this crossover. The ride and handling are fantastic too and I love everything not mentioned above.

My comments on those, and my addition to the subject (while being nitpicky).

1) I wish the Pandora app feature was made available for the 2013. At least give us an option to upgrade the firmware!

2) 5.8" Screen with all those accessible features? Come on... Could use a bigger screen.

3) Where's our center console navi control unit? Like the simple iDrive knob available in the Euro market CX-5? I blame fat Americans for this for wanting 1832329 cupholders in a 5 passenger car.

4) Shifter, HVAC vents, and Navi trim piece could use higher quality materials. Piano black with a silver metal outline like the Mazda6 for example.

5) Rear seats, why don't you recline?!

6) Front passenger seat, why aren't you powered?!

7) Rear door interior panels are made of inferior materials to the front. Not a big deal though.

Last edited:
Well, when I go through a car wash I like to use, one part of it almsot always shoots s little water through the sunroof.. doesn't happen with two a bmw x5 and ford f150 in my household using the same one. It's because of the water jet, but that means the sunroof seals will probably not hold up well over time..

Well, when I go through a car wash I like to use, one part of it almsot always shoots s little water through the sunroof.. doesn't happen with two a bmw x5 and ford f150 in my household using the same one. It's because of the water jet, but that means the sunroof seals will probably not hold up well over time..
I don't think any water should seep through your sunroof. Get it replaced under warranty.

Yes, the next click down, the wipers wipe in time interval like a car without rain sensing wipers.

In the settings tab on the Nav/Entertainment unit you can change the auto-wiper switch to do manual intermittent wipe instead (auto-wipers replaces manual intermittent wipe on the wiper control stick) atleast on the UK model.

I noticed the armrest as well.....I have had other vehicles that could slide the top of the armrest forward, so that more of your arm would sit on the armrest as opposed to just hitting your elbow, I am 5'10 as well. I am more of an upright seat position driver. This is my second vehicle with a backup camera, and it was slightly set back further in my 2010 SER and it made no difference and got just as dirty. For me I find the 2.0 engine just fine, no issues what so ever. I do a lot of city driving and find the engine adequate for what I need, and love The gas mileage I get from the engine. I have 20,000 kms on my cx-5 now and had two oil changes and find the vehicle has nicely broken in and some of the little quirks that people noticed that I noticed as well have smoothened out, such as the aggressive downshift when driving on the highway, it does not happen anymore.

+1 on the armrest. Just a little too low for me.

As for the rain sensing wipers not reactivating quickly, my car does the same thing. I found that a quick adjustment of the sensitivity dial on the stalk will trigger them immediately and get them going. Tried it in the CX-5 last night and it responded immediately and was good from there on out.

Also, if the wipers are doing their thing too frequently for your liking, make sure you have the sensitivity on the stalk dial turned all the way to the lowest setting.

Seems like the ones who like the low arm rest might be driving manual transmissions? Might be a one size fits all compromise with all trims since I can see the height being good for a manual. For an automatic where I just want to rest my arm it seems low.

Seems like the ones who like the low arm rest might be driving manual transmissions? Might be a one size fits all compromise with all trims since I can see the height being good for a manual. For an automatic where I just want to rest my arm it seems low.

You're probably on to something there. I'm 6'3", have manual transmission, and think its perfect height!

No, but I occasionally use the manual mode and I have a habit of keeping my hand on the shifter.

I only have that habit when I drive casually. My hands become lazy.

When I'm on a spirited drive, at AutoX, or on a road course, both hands on 10&2 in the 8 and the CX-5 (minus the AutoX and road course for the CX :) ).

lack of interior lights! no lights in glove box or center storage box, no foot well lights, no C pillar lights for rear passengers, not enough lights in the trunk/hatch area......

Back