IIHS small overlap crash test - 2014 Mazda3 - good! Video inside

Been waiting for this. Glad to see they were at top of list. Mentioned on the Today Show!

That is good news, although it was a little painful to see my Soul Red Mazda3 destroyed.

The fine prints say: "applicable to Mazda3 built after 10/2013" "small modification made to front suspension". etc.
Not sure what Mazda did, but mine was built in 08/2013....

The fine prints say: "applicable to Mazda3 built after 10/2013" "small modification made to front suspension". etc.

I suspect most of us have Mazda3s built before 10/2013, too. I would *like* to think that if it were a significant safety thing, there would be a recall. I suspect the IIHS has to have that disclaimer because there was a small change and they have not tested the earlier builds.

Where can I find the date of manufacture on the car?

This is what the IIHS test report says in regard to the post-October build changes:

The Mazda 3 was redesigned for the 2014 model year. Beginning with 2014 models built after October 2013, the front suspension was modified to improve occupant protection in small overlap frontal crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door). The small overlap frontal ratings apply to both the hatchback and sedan versions of the Mazda 3.

You can see the entire IIHS report at this address:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mazda/3-hatchback/2014?print-view

I bought mine on 10/13/2013, and my was built in 08/2013.
When I bought mine, it was a new arrival to the dealership I bought from.
It takes about 2 months (+/-) to go from Japan to LA port to the dealership.
I don't know if you can find one that is built in 10/13 as of today.
Love to compare what is the difference in suspension, though, if someone owns a 10/13 built.

I bought mine on 10/13/2013, and my was built in 08/2013.
When I bought mine, it was a new arrival to the dealership I bought from.
It takes about 2 months (+/-) to go from Japan to LA port to the dealership.
I don't know if you can find one that is built in 10/13 as of today.
Love to compare what is the difference in suspension, though, if someone owns a 10/13 built.

I bought mine around the 4th week of November and it has a build date of 10/13.
If it says "built after October 2013" doesn't it mean it only applies to vehicles with 11/13 build date?

I'd love to know the difference and what the impact might be on the crash test. Its too bad they don't provide that.

I contacted IIHS about this today to ask if it includes October 2013 models or if it's November and later. I didn't find their wording to be explicit. I'll report back when I hear back from them.

Well finding the answer is like pulling teeth. ;) I now have left messages with 2 people at IIHS and a Mazda CSR is forwarding my question to the technical department of Mazda Canada. The CSR I spoke to at Mazda had not heard of IIHS nor any of the crash tests so it was difficult to get my questions across. I hope it comes out understandably to the technical team.

Same here.
Have you tried to send Mazda emails?
They might get better responses than phone calls.

Same here.
Have you tried to send Mazda emails?
They might get better responses than phone calls.

I sent email last week with a question unrelated to this issue and that still doesn't have a reply. So sounds like email isn't any better with Mazda Canada.

Edit: I just sent an email too. I hate to keep bugging these folks but I'd like to know the answer before I purchase. And we want to do that very soon (as in we would have liked to do so already!)

Last edited:
Here is the useless reply I got to my phone message left with Mazda Canada:

Here is the info I got to the question I asked. It doesn't really answer the question of the October produced cars, so it seems it's not an information we have available here.

The vehicle did not change in production. It is a change/improvement from the 2013 models.
Here is the info pasted from the IIHS website.

The Mazda 3 was redesigned for the 2014 model year. Beginning with 2014 models built after October 2013, the front suspension was modified to improve occupant protection in small overlap frontal crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door). The small overlap frontal ratings apply to both the hatchback and sedan versions of the Mazda 3.

Hopefully IIHS follow up with me with better information.

That being said, the issue is moot for me as I just picked up one with a November 2013 production date. (yippy)

My guess is that IIHS tested the ones produced on 10/13. They cannot vow for any vehicles produced earlier (as early as 07/13).
Hence, this statement to cover their backends.

well, this is great news that mazda was able to improve their crash scores.

looks like the 2014 model is back on my shopping list!

(nana)

New member here.

I just bought a 2014 Mazda 3 hatchback about 2 weeks and it was made on 9/2013. I did not see the statement regarding "Models built after October 2013". It specifically states that the front suspension was modified to improve occupant protection in small overlap frontal crashes. Notices that the car got "A" for acceptable and not good rating for Lower leg/foot. I used to work for Ford and its not too uncommon to make running changes. Mazda has to have done something and would be nice to know what.

I got the car because it was so highly rated. Damn.(sad1)

I guess the good news is that they did not mess with the structure like the CX-5.

Waid

1-22-2014 10-15-24 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Back