If you could change one thing...

rhojos14

:
2017 CX-5
If you could change one thing about the CX-5, what would it be?

Mine is I wish it had a panoramic sunroof. I always use my sunroof; my dad has one on his X3 and it's awesome.

Not trying to start a hardcore discussion, just thought it would be fun to see people's different answers. Gearing this more towards 2nd gen but if you've got anything about 1st gens feel free! Disclaimer: This does not mean I dislike the CX-5, I LOVE mine, just wondering what others think.

I wish the new one had the exact same tuning/steering/seats as mine and offered a diesel..

I wish the new one had the exact same tuning, steering as my '16, and most importantly, a 2.5 with manual transmission and double-DIN audio (suitable for high-end upgrade).

Would like it to have a taller 6th gear & not shift into 6th until you reach a higher speed.

A Piano sunroof I feel is to dangerous in a collision too much glass falling, or people getting ejected from the top.. (thats my my personal feeling, yours maybe different, and thats fine)

Would like it to have a taller 6th gear & not shift into 6th until you reach a higher speed.

A Piano sunroof I feel is to dangerous in a collision too much glass falling, or people getting ejected from the top.. (that’s my my personal feeling, yours maybe different, and that’s fine)

Agree w/the taller 6th..not so much on the 'piano sunroof' that just sounds like it might add weight right where you don't want it- lots of it:) Pano roof is nice my x1 has but passing there too for same reason..btw not just weight but rigidity loss.

(on my '16 Touring) I wanted it to have a slightly thicker steering wheel; however, the replacement wheel we are getting actually solves that problem [but created another one].

With the steering wheel thickness solved, I want the dang wiper lever mist/single swipe to go/move in the DOWN position; like my VW. Pushing the wiper stalk down to single swipe is a more natural movement when your hand is on the steering wheel at or near the 3o'clock position. As it stands, pushing the lever up is un-natural and requires a more difficult hand movement, at least for me.

Other than that, the #2 change is just more sound deadener/absorption material all over the place, especially on the roof.

If I could change one thing about the CX-5, it'd be elimination of cylinder deactivation. Complicate system and questionable longevity for saving of 0 or 1 mpg simply is not worth it!

Most people would say replace 2.5 NA with 2.5T
Not for me. I'll be avoiding any turbo if possible. Besides 2.5T is not fuel efficient with a turbo. A 2.0T for CX-5 makes more sense as it can have about the same power but more fuel efficient.

Much more power. The mileage suffers so badly in wind and above 70. I averaged around 22mpg or so for several hundred miles between Terrel and San Antonio yesterday because of this. In similar conditions my Jeep only dropped maybe 10% mpg. Not 25%.

Not for me. I'll be avoiding any turbo if possible. Besides 2.5T is not fuel efficient with a turbo. A 2.0T for CX-5 makes more sense as it can have about the same power but more fuel efficient.

Agreed. It doesn't have to be a/the 2.5T. That's the awesome thing with a turbo. If you want more power, just turn up the boost. Look at Honda and their 1.5T and 2.0T. They are each used in several cars and make several different HP numbers depending on the vehicle.

The 1.5T is in the Civic/SI/SportHatch, Accord, and CRV. In these cars, it makes 174hp [16.5 psi], 192hp [20.2 psi], and 205hp [20.3 psi/93 oct]. The Accord's 2.0T makes 252hp on 20.8psi, but the Type R's 2.0T makes 305hp [23.2 psi]. It is all about the tuning. I'd tell you about VW use of their 1.8t and 2.0t engines, but I don't have all day.

A 2.0T in the CX-5 with mild boost (14.7 psi/1 bar) would probably be spot on perfect. Sure, people are going to talk about lag and what not, but you can engineer that out with tuning and turbo/turbine size. There are tradeoffs and there will always be tradeoffs. Leave the 2.5T in the CX-9. Develop a 2.0T for the CX-5 and '3 and '6. Mazda can leave the 2.5NA motor as a nice solid base powerplant, but then turn it up a notch with a 2.0T and give consumers a choice.

My touring power seat is awful. 6 way only... Base Camry le has 8 way. Good for thigh support.

A visor that does not whack me in the head when I out it to the side and that does not block the rearview mirror. I was spoilt in my Honda Element but not having that problem at all. It was taller than the CX-5.

I won't wish for the diesel, since it is supposedly coming, nor the taller 6th, because the diesel takes care of that too.

I'd like a better fit with thee steering wheel and arm rests. The arm rests are too far apart from each other and too far back from the steering wheel to reach comfortably. I'd like more telescope on the steering wheel, and/or adjustable armrests

My arms aren't short, I promise :)

I'd also like a higher towing capacity and a physical pause button for the infotainment.

Back