I was invited earlier this month...

zenon

Hi guys. I'm a member on xxxxxxxxxx.com as MazdaTechie. I'm a certified Mazda technician and I'm ASE certified. over there, a fellow going by "howardru" invited me to come here via a link to this CX-9 forum. This screenname "zenon" is actually my dad's old account when he used to own the '98 protege I now have. He passed on this and all the other stuff he had related to that car when he gave it to me. So I'm not a master yet, but I know some stuff and have a lot of resources available to me. Lemme know if I can help out with anything. =>

Daniel

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks & welcome. I have a question. My CX-9 Grand Touring makes a weird noise whenever the engine is under load, ie. accelerating. It sounds like it's coming from the front end, and I would say more from the passenger side. It sounds a bit metallic...like a scraping...but goes away immediately when I let up on the accelerator.

Performance is fine, economy is great, handling wonderful...just that weird noise. It's not something I would make a visit to my local dealer service department for because the symptom is so amorphous and doesn't seem to be hurting anything....and my dearest bride doesn't hear it at all.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Daniel

I have a couple questions. What are the common repair issues you see with CX-9's? Also have you heard anything about DVD Nav compatible iPod integration kits for 2007 and 2008 CX-9's?

Ah HA! They edited out the site reference I made. To the mod who edited--wasn't trying to cause trouble. Twas a reference mainly geared towards anyone who might be a member on both boards and know Howard, and towards Howard, so he'd read it and say hi. =>

Padre Dave:

To be completely, 100% honest with you, I would have to be able to drive it for this one. There are some known noises that this model shows up with from time to time, but the common ones (out of what has come in) usually show up in the form of a rattle/click type noise thus far. Your description is good, but I can't find any existing documentation on it.

I would highly suggest you give your dealer a shot--especially if you're under warranty (I expect you are unless you've quickly racked up the miles :) ). Don't worry about the sound being amorphous. Many are. If you can reproduce it, then all you need to do on your visit is of course describe it (including what conditions create it best--you mention under acceleration--light acceleration? flooring it? is the engine cold or warmed up or does it matter?), but ask the service adviser to take a ride with you, or ask to have a technician ride with you, so you can demonstrate it. And just in case it happens to be something powertrain related, that's all the more reason to let them take a look. If you're under warranty, Mazda should be able to cover you on a rental if they need to keep it for a day or two to pinpoint it.

not_too_shabby:

Common repair issues: Earlier CX-9's (built before sept 17 2007) occasionally had an issue with pulling to the left. A Technical Service Bulletin has been published addressing the issue. Occasionally we'll get one in with a rattle or buzz type noise. It's nothing detrimental to safe operation of the vehicle--just your usual low volume irritating rattle. There's a few different things that can cause it. The only other common thing (and this is the most common that I can think of) is some of them come in with the door checkers popping. Door checker = the black rod in the door hinge area that makes your door stop at certain positions while open. The hole that the hinge pin goes through on the end bolted to the body will get worn a little bit, and then when you open the door, you'll hear a popping noise.

Compatibility: Unfortunately, the iPod integration kit is not compatible with '07/'08 CX-9's with DVD navigation. It won't work with any of the models with DVD nav that I'm aware of. Perhaps they've changed that for '09--don't know yet. I don't know why they've designed it that way, but I know I've tried installing it in the past (made the mistake of not looking up that fact first). You can plug it in and get it all in place and everything. You can hook up your iPod and the screen on it will show a Mazda logo--but that's as far as it gets. It won't work. However!!!! If you have an auxiliary port in your rear console box, you should be able to make use of that. Sorry to bear the disappointing news heh. =>

Ah HA! They edited out the site reference I made. To the mod who edited--wasn't trying to cause trouble. Twas a reference mainly geared towards anyone who might be a member on both boards and know Howard, and towards Howard, so he'd read it and say hi. =>

I didn't think you were trying to cause trouble which is why there was no infraction issued. But it is against forum rules to post links to competing sites for any reason.

What I am still trying to find, after 14 months, is the pinout for the ECU. Specifically the VSS and TACH so I can finish wiring up a digital speedo/tach HUD gauge. I have tried numerous resources including Mazda, the device manufacturer (DeFi), and the main US distributer (TIEN), and have yet to find my answer. I have both the service manual and electrical manual but the specific data I require seems to be a corporate secret!

Cheers, and a million thanks if you can manage to dig this up.

BTW I am not alone in this search!!!

Hello Zenon,
what are your thoughts on the following warranty sold through Ford? http://www.authorizedfordwarranties...NZ.cgi/layout=MAZ/mi=yes/2152=1/add_to_cart=y

The Mazda TotalCare Extended Warranty Protection Plan offers near-complete coverage for your Mazda vehicle, covering virtually every part in your Mazda vehicle (except for things like normal maintenance, etc.)

From your experience, is it worth purchasing and is it fully honored by deadlerships?

Thanks

Who did you talk to with Mazda? A dealer or someone with the actual manufacturer or..?

My bad I should have started with... "Welcome!!!"

How rude of me!

Anyway I contacted two local dealers and in both cases spoke with the service manager. Also contacted the USA Mazda customer care number. They simply said I would have to speak to a dealership. When I told them I had not gotten help that route they said they were sorry but could not direct me anywhere else.

TEIN USA said they had scoured the web and checked with several of their primary installers and could not find my answer either.

In the case of the last three cars I installed one of these on, my Honda manuals led my right to what I needed as did my Ford manual.

Quite frustrating!

AZ-CX9:

If by the electrical manual you mean the wiring diagram book, gimme a couple days so while I'm at work I can find it, and tell you where you can find it.
Sometimes navigating Mazda's wiring diagram books can be...interesting--it's logical enough, but you have to kinda get used to them. I'd just as soon do screen prints off of my online resource through work, but if I make any sort of habit of that, it could reflect badly on me since it's copyrighted info. When I get back to you though I can specify the pin numbers and wire colors and such to look for in the layouts. And no worries, I didn't consider anything you said to be rude. =>

nj_jamaican: If this http://www.authorizedfordwarranties.com/mazda/plan-TotalCare.html is the warranty you're talking about, then even though we might have to argue with the warranty rep on the phone for a bit sometimes, we can generally get them to cover it as long as it's part of a system stated in the coverage plan. I haven't personally read the coverage plan as I haven't been in a position to purchase one, but from what I've dealt with thus far, they're pretty good, and will definitely help you out when you'd otherwise have a large repair bill. FYI, it's actually not the dealer's decision as to whether or not the plan will cover the repairs for you--we have to call it in. But from what I've seen (again if you're talking about the warranty I linked to above), it's pretty good.

You are correct. It is the wiring diagram book. I have spent numerous sessions pouring through both manuals and have been unable to find specific enough data. I have even had a couple of electrical engineers at work look at it. If you are able to find the pins and wire colors I would be very greatfull!

I am SO tired of seeing zero on my display! :)

Good luck to us both!

AZ-CX9!!!!

I hope the info I've found is what you really need.

TACH: There's no actual single tachometer wire. However, check out page 62 in your wiring diagram book. Take a look at pin 2F. It's the wire for Ignition Coil #2, and it's on connector 0140-01B (the top PCM/ECU connector). Page 62 shows you that, and shows you the layout and wire color codes on that connector. It's headed with "CONTROL SYSTEM" and "0140-c".

I specify this one because when I install Mazda's remote start kit, this is the wire they have me splice into for a tachometer wire so the remote start module can monitor the idle speed. I hope this will work for your HUD kit as well. Wire color: white/black.

VSS: Check out page 96 in your wiring diagram book (headed with "EC-AT CONTROL SYSTEM" and "0517-d". The Vehicle Speed Sensor has two wires (pins B19 < and B20), and feeds back to the TCM (transmission control module). The TCM feeds this information to the instrument cluster through data lines, and the tach is soldered into a circuit board in the cluster. As for which wire to use if you can use these, take a look in your workshop manual on page 05-17-29. You'll see that it shows B19 as the negative side and B20 as the positive side for the VSS signal. I can't guarantee that these VSS wires will provide the kind of signal your kit needs, but I hope this can help you.

UPDATE: The diagrams in fact do NOT show color codes for the two wires coming off of the VSS! Not that I can find at any rate. When I get the chance I'll look at a real live CX-9 and find them. My apologies.

Sorry for the late reply, man.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. The tach I will try. Unfortunately as for the VSS the B19 and B20 pins are inside the TCM and no way to splice into them, that I can tell. No an actual wiring harness.

I saw the auto transaxle for a V6 Tribute on the floor in my shop yesterday and confirmed basically what you're saying. (It was a Tribute, but Mazda like many manufacturers tends to be consistent in certain areas.) The deal is, the TCM plugs into a connector mounted in the transaxle case. Any wires going from that connector are inside the transaxle, and go to the various components, including the VSS. So that kills that deal. But, the TCM has to send wires off elsewhere. My guess is that they're data lines, and you won't get a direct signal from the VSS, but I'll see what else I can find.

Okay, I've done my research. No luck on the other TCM connector coming from the vehicle's harness. It sends a wire off to the PCM, and a wire to the BCM (body control module). Looked at every pin on each of those to no avail. Only data sent to the instrument cluster. The only other thing I can think of that you might try is the wires coming from the wheel speed sensors, although even if you could use the signal from them for your HUD, accuracy on your readout could be affected since you'd only be getting the speed of one wheel.

Sorry to say this vehicle isn't the most aftermarket friendly one out there. :/

Zenon, I REALLY appreciate all the effort you put in! This has been very frustrating for something that should have been very easy. However, I think I found a decent work-around. I ran across a CAN/VSS converter online that may do the trick. The price was a tad steep ($75) but I think it will work for me. Once I have it I'll let you all know how it goes. Basically this thing plugs into the obd II connection and outputs a "standard" VSS signal...

Thanks again for the help and reigniting my interest in finishing this!

CX-9 Sport Owner:

What you might not know though, is that until a few months ago, Ford has had a controlling interest in Mazda owning approximately 33.4% of stock. Working on these things day in and day out, you'll find FoMoCo stamps on parts all throughout the vehicles, and many motors and transmissions used in both Ford and Mazda vehicles. Your '07 CX-9 has the same 3.5L motor used in at least the Lincoln MKZ's and MKX's up to at least '07 if not '08. Some of the transmissions are Ford, some are Mazda, and some are made by an outside vendor that deals with both. Traits are shared heavily.

I expect that to change in the future though, as Ford has recently sold 20% of Mazda's stock back to Mazda, thereby retaining only 13.4%, and giving up a controlling interest.

AZ-CX9:

Happy to help. That sounds like a very workable device. Vehicle speed can be read as a PID (parameter identifcation data) with scan tools. Do let me know if the #2 ignition coil wire works as a tach readout. That oughtta be interesting.

A friendly caution though: since this is an aftermarket install that you're doing and you'll be splicing into the wiring harness related to the powertrain, I'm not sure how that'll affect your warranty. If you had a problem that cropped up (I haven't seen powertrain issues with CX-9's yet at all) and your modification of splicing in could be at all related, it might cause you some trouble with getting it covered. You might make an anonymous call to a Mazda dealer and ask them what effect it would have before you install it, just to make sure you're aware.

I will tell you though that for the CX-9's that I've installed remote starts on, Mazda's kit has me use included higher quality scotch locks for the splices, including splicing the tach wire to the #2 ig. coil wire @ the PCM. Yes--scotch locks instead of peeling back insulation and soldering. I haven't seen any adverse effects from it yet. If you're not going to solder the splice, find a scotch lock made by 3M. I'm pretty sure they make the ones in that remote start kit, and beyond that, I've used many 3M products and they're all absolutely top notch quality.

Last edited:
Back