Hypertech Max Energy Sport CAI Update Now Available!

If you have the stock CBE, there are no significant restrictions until you get above 300 whp. The restrictions are upstream in the downpipe and the two cats. If you think you have an exhaust restriction affecting your tune, that is where to focus. Changing the CBE will net very little, if anything. It flows better than the K04 turbo can release exhaust with the wastegate wide open, IMHO.

Oh, BTW: mechanical boost gauges are the way to go. Direct measurement of boost pressure is typically much more reliable than trusting a pressure sensor. I never thought the problem would have been the stock BPV. People are having far more problems with the aftermarket BPV's than with the stock units, which can and do hold boost very well to levels higher than it is safe to take the K04.
I had a mechanical gauge on my last car and the accuracy seemed to be better even tho it was a cheaper gauge (VDO). Im leaving the stock exhaust because the noise level is perfect for me, and yes your right without going full TBE its not really worth it on the stock turbo. I am going to change the BPV tho, I think the stock probably has a cheaply made diaphragm..plus it reacts alittle slow IMO, the stock does hold boost okay but for how long with increased boost pressure is the real question... I will be using a full recirc so it should work fine.

Last edited:
We finally got a Cobb SRI intake in yesterday. Our car will be going back on the dyno sometime this week. We are also testing the HKS Race Suction intake on it as well.

I think the stock probably has a cheaply made diapraghm..plus it reacts alittle slow IMO, the stock does hold boost okay but for how long with increased boost pressure is the real question... I will be using a full recirc so it should work fine.

Well, I'm at 38,000 miles now on the stock BPV and all but the first 10,000 or so has been with a catless dp/rp generating about 2 psi boost over stock with spikes into the low 20's that settle to 17-18 psi. I can't make it leak.

I will say that I agree that when properly adjusted the Forge will be more "lively" in that it recovers faster under light load or low rpm conditions, but it is also less smooth in its release and recovery and can be very difficult to adjust and readjust when ambient conditions change.

I prefer the smoothness of the stock part as a daily driver, and have no problem with the responsiveness on the dragstrip or in other competition situations because I flat shift then and recovery is essentially instantaneous when you stay in the throttle, allowing you to stay on boost.

But if you like the more "lively" response of the Forge, there may be a slight price to pay for it in absolutel performance -- in testing it actually did not hold boost quite as well in the power band in upper gears as the stock unit.

Attached is the chart from the Grassroots Motor Sports Magazine article where the two were tested side-by-side on their MS3.

Notice how the Forge recovers quicker in the low rpm part of the upshift than the stock BPV, but also notice that once you get in third gear the stock bpv holds boost at least a full psi higher, sometimes as much as 1.5 psi higher. I'll flatshift and take the higher boost.

Each has benefits and each has its disadvantages.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 180
Attached is the chart from the Grassroots Motor Sports Magazine article where the two were tested side-by-side on their MS3.

Notice how the Forge recovers quicker in the low rpm part of the upshift than the stock BPV, but also notice that once you get in third gear the stock bpv holds boost at least a full psi higher, sometimes as much as 1.5 psi higher. I'll flatshift and take the higher boost.

Do you have the link to the article? I'd love to know what spring they used and what other mods were done. If the spring is too weak the pressure against the piston can force it back, causing the leak. The type two is oriented 90 degrees, so this cannot happen. The air would have to blow by the seals.

I figured it might be the Boost gauge....Is your Autometer a 52mm? Tonight with the 65 deg. temps in 4th cruising then to WOT it hit 16lbs on the gauge...my car feels like it gets to a certain point in the upper RPM range and then it takes off again, almost as if it gets another surge of boost, I guess its probably from some of the restrictions I still have with the stock exhaust, TIP,BPV, intercooler etc: Anybody else notice this??
Yes, I have the 52 mm AutoMeter gauge.

Hey Chris,

Just curious how long you think the COBB reflash will be ready for those of us running the NANO tune right now? I'm very curious to see what kind of difference the 2 will be.

Anyone wanna take a guess on the COBB SRI vs CP-E nano on tune? which is better?

Last edited:
Well, I'm at 38,000 miles now on the stock BPV and all but the first 10,000 or so has been with a catless dp/rp generating about 2 psi boost over stock with spikes into the low 20's that settle to 17-18 psi. I can't make it leak.

I will say that I agree that when properly adjusted the Forge will be more "lively" in that it recovers faster under light load or low rpm conditions, but it is also less smooth in its release and recovery and can be very difficult to adjust and readjust when ambient conditions change.

I prefer the smoothness of the stock part as a daily driver, and have no problem with the responsiveness on the dragstrip or in other competition situations because I flat shift then and recovery is essentially instantaneous when you stay in the throttle, allowing you to stay on boost.

But if you like the more "lively" response of the Forge, there may be a slight price to pay for it in absolutel performance -- in testing it actually did not hold boost quite as well in the power band in upper gears as the stock unit.

Very interesting info. maybe I should have waited and asked you first..LOL! oh well I'll see how it goes when it gets here....I don't have time to do any racing mainly DD to work and back on the highway in moderate traffic.

Chris....would you guys be able to add features to the program... for example, you already have the 0-60 limiter removal, but what about something like idle rpm adjuster for AC on and off, flat-foot shifting, High BAT Temp/Low BAT Temp adjuster (in ATR I had set it lower for even more saftey), etc....

I would be willing to pay (fair price of course) for these addons.

Also, I've noticed me and some other users have +5 or higher LTFT's at WOT. Will you guys make adjustments in the future if deemed needed or it is what it is?

Thanks Chris...I am enjoying the product!

I believe he stated they will NOT be doing that in the HyperTech portion of the forum, but I could be wrong.

Chris....would you guys be able to add features to the program... for example, you already have the 0-60 limiter removal, but what about something like idle rpm adjuster for AC on and off, flat-foot shifting, High BAT Temp/Low BAT Temp adjuster (in ATR I had set it lower for even more saftey), etc....

Also, I've noticed me and some other users have +5 or higher LTFT's at WOT. Will you guys make adjustments in the future if deemed needed or it is what it is?

Do you have the link to the article? I'd love to know what spring they used and what other mods were done. If the spring is too weak the pressure against the piston can force it back, causing the leak. The type two is oriented 90 degrees, so this cannot happen. The air would have to blow by the seals.

The article has to be purchased. It's a subscription service. I did post the chart, which is all I felt comfortable doing without getting into trouble with them for copyright violation, etc.

No link except to their front page:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/

Edit: I have contacted them to see if they have any problem with my posting up the article. It could be a good marketing tool for them. The guy I need to talk to is on vacation this week and next. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
I would love to see their info from all the runs using the various CAIs. It would be interesting to see how different they really are, and if one performs better than the rest.

I would love to know myself. I've even considered sending Chris a PM to learn this. I can't think of any other source who would have tested near every intake available for the ms3. Surely there are differences. Come on Chris - which one would did you leave on your car after testing them all?

Does this Hypertech unit have the same ability to permanently override the emissions CEL codes as the COBB Acessport? Does it have sensor monitor capabilities?

It does not have sensor reading abilitiy, But you can tunr off and read CELL's with it. I have to do mine every 150-200 miles( Catless DP), Did just reset mine while driving home last night.

Hey Chris,

Just curious how long you think the COBB reflash will be ready for those of us running the NANO tune right now? I'm very curious to see what kind of difference the 2 will be.

We are going to test the Cobb, HKS, and the BELL all at the same time. I'm waiting on the BELL intake to get here so we can do them all at once. It is in route, and should be here Wednesday, so if we're lucky, the first part of next week.

Chris

Good questions!

We can always add features to the programmer. The main reason for not adding those that you mentioned are for emission and warranty reasons. Since we submit all of our products for CARB EO testing, we can't offer any options that could possibly allow adjustments outside of the emission limits. Also, options like flat footed shifting are cool, but we don't want someone tearing up a clutch or transmission on their vehicle, with a feature that we offer. We advertise our products to be safe for use on a stock vehicle, and since we don't know the effects of using a feature like this on the stock drivetrain, we stay away from them.

Our tuning will allow the ECU to correct for changes in boosted air tempereature, but we still maintain the safety mechanisms built into the factory tune. Not all of the aftermarket tunes for the Mazdaspeeds do this, which is why they have those adjustments.

As far as fuel trims, they can vary based on many factors, such as altitude, barometric pressure, load, etc. The stock ECU corrects the fueling based on the amount of air flow into the engine. LTFT's can vary with the stock tuning, based on these factors. As long as the MAF calculations are corrected when using an aftermarket air intake, the ECU will adjust the spark and fueling appropriately for the best, safe power we have already tuned for.

Chris

Latest posts

Back