How-To: VTCS Removal and Porting

If any one has a extra manifold for sale let me know I want to do this I alrdy have a dremel and a intake porting kit from eastwood.

Not yet I had talked to him tho there was a mix up he wasnt sure if I was billed. It should be here monday I hope I will send you a PM.

Yeah if anyone has spare intake manifolds laying around this would be a cool project. I have the MP3 ECU so there's really no reason for me to keep the VTCS valves around, and plus I'd like to loctite the VICS screws while I'm in there (my combustion chamber is a virgin still, and I'd like to keep it that way).

I just don't have the time to do it all at once with school, so I'd need a spare to do it with so that I can still drive to campus.

Laser03pro said:
What about a 626 manifold I think they are like the one on protegegarage.com no vics or vtcs.

Until I see a dyno chart saying that it has gains for NA setups I'm not interested... even though I plan on boosting or buying an MSP as soon as I have the cash.

I bought a 2nd so I could port it and do the VTCS removal and the VICS loctite as well. I have yet to install it, but, once I get it done if you are interested maybe we could work something out if you want the stocker off my car ...........

zverg said:
Yeah if anyone has spare intake manifolds laying around this would be a cool project. I have the MP3 ECU so there's really no reason for me to keep the VTCS valves around, and plus I'd like to loctite the VICS screws while I'm in there (my combustion chamber is a virgin still, and I'd like to keep it that way).

I just don't have the time to do it all at once with school, so I'd need a spare to do it with so that I can still drive to campus.

ok i am removing the VTCS and the VICS and the EGR valve, anyone see any problems with this? I plan on blocking off the hole on the manifold and the hole on the intake mani, but i was wondering why not take them all off and get rid of that damn egr valve!

yeah I'd just loctite the screws on the VICS butterfly valves. VTCS is the emissions thing, but IIRC VICS is the thing that chances which runners are used at high RPMs.

they're both for emissions..... The whole concept of the VICS/VTCS is to work together..... has anyone tried removing all of them to prove this?

ghettobubba2001 said:
why would i want to keep any sort of runner? the vics is for the egr i think.

Vics allows you to adjust between 2 different runner lenghts if you remove it you will lose alot of torque.

ghettobubba2001 said:
they're both for emissions..... The whole concept of the VICS/VTCS is to work together..... has anyone tried removing all of them to prove this?

VICS is not for emmissions vtcs is at startup and some1 with a msp had removed VICs and said they lost alot of power.

Laser03pro said:
Vics allows you to adjust between 2 different runner lenghts if you remove it you will lose alot of torque.

w3rd. If you remove ViCS and if you're N/A or low boosted Protege you'll lose alot of low end torque.....basically you'll be like a civic, lol.

ViCS is variable inertia charge system, which activates at 5200rpm, allowing more high end power by opening up the lower row of 4 runners. When closed it allows the whole amount of air at given time to flow only through only 1 row of runners giving you more low end torque.

Its highly not recommended to remove ViCS unless you're running some kind of HIGH boost with a single runner intake manifold

Back