How To: UDP Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
mazdaspeed777 said:
Does anyone know where I can get the RR-racing UDP?? They seem to be cheaper than the Unorthodox one's.

Go to http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/blems.html or http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/blowout.html and look up the pulleys for 2.0L/FSDE equipped Mazdas and Fords.

They'll add the proper timing ring for the non-distributor (i.e. Protege5) FSDE for about $10; if you don't care what color your pulley is or don't care about saving an extra .2 oz over the "new design", all the better.

For example:
Part number 020811004 + timing ring = $80.00 + 15.00 shipping for a total of $95.

Send an email to info@unorthodoxracing.com to confirm availability and lead time.

...or buy one from RR Racing.

I just got a gatorback power steering belt for my P5 to change my squeaky belt. I plan on getting a UDP later on down the road but just want to change my belt for now. Do I still need to take the stock UDP off to change just the belt or do I just need to loosen one of the bolts??

mazdaspeed777 said:
I just got a gatorback power steering belt for my P5 to change my squeaky belt. I plan on getting a UDP later on down the road but just want to change my belt for now. Do I still need to take the stock UDP off to change just the belt or do I just need to loosen one of the bolts??

You need to get a service manual.

There is also a how-to on UDP install, you can see what it says specifically for replacing belts.

what is meant by half inch deflection? and how do you make sure the pulleys are in alignment? and how do you tighten the belts?

amsgator said:
what is meant by half inch deflection? and how do you make sure the pulleys are in alignment? and how do you tighten the belts?

Aligning the pully? :scratcheshead:

You should really get a repair manual first and foremost. Or taking it in somewhere sounds like it'd be best.

There's adjustment screws for adjusting the betls/componets on the belt system. Just like anything and any other car. But you need to loosen the belts before you can get to the point of tightening them.

Last edited:
so what is the half inch deflection? i dont wanna pay someone to do it for me which is why i am asking how to adjust it. do you just loosen the screw and it moves around or what?

got my rr udp today. i think i am gonna take it somewhere to get installed, talked to someone on protegeclub and they said i probably shouldnt be doing it myself. so we'll see. how much do you think it would cost? while i'm at it i guess i can have them throw on my rear motor mount.

amsgator said:
so what is the half inch deflection? i dont wanna pay someone to do it for me which is why i am asking how to adjust it. do you just loosen the screw and it moves around or what?

You are asking in a thread that's a How-To.... There are complete directions on here.

It's probably not more than a 2 hour job. It's simiple as all heck to do.

If these directions don't explain it well enough, you should be taking it in at that point.

yea since it defines what deflection is. right. ps, thanks for answering the question and helping. anyone else care to help?

Last edited:
:sigh: You are not capable of doing this install. As I said, if you are not able to use these simple directions here, you need to take it in. He even lists bolt sizes and includes pictures.

What do you think it means? Just think about it for a second.... What part would move in the said install? The pulley? Do they move? no... What else could it be? The belts perhaps? Yes......

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/deflection

I don't mean to sound like a total ass (well, actually I kinda do) but working on cars requires at least a little bit of common sense and thinking on your own. And if things do not come naturally to you on how things work and just general mechanics.... at the very least you should be buying a service manual as I've already said. They're like $20.

Last edited:
amsgator said:
hm...explained to death are they? i am still YET to have seen a post explaining the deflection, what it is and how to measure it. but ok, it's explained to death. that must be why it's not posted...b/c it's dead and went to thread heaven. right? dont think so
Deflection = how far the straight line of the belt from one pulley to the next can be pushed with your finger. If you can push the belt more than 1/2 an inch then tighten some more. Just tighten until no squeaking. This isn't that critical for street cars with less than 10k rpms. BTW, there is no thread heaven. Threads are aetheists.

More nonhelpful flaming: Page 01-10B-4 & 01-10B-5 in the engine section of the service manual you mentioned having or having access to illustrates the tensioning of the belts & measuring points of deflection in great detail. Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.

UnNaturalinc said:
How is anything ruined? The first two posts is all you need. Well, if you have any sort of normal brain function it's all you need. It's not quite that easy for some it appears. heh

Is there even a mod for this forum?

people like to add advice, tips, stories, etc after the initial how-to posts. it's best when people don't carry on conversations in how-to threads, that way the threads stay strictly "how-to." This conversation could have and should have been carried on over pm, if carried on at all. Please move your discussion to somewhere else so we can maintain the straightforwardness of the forums. It's posts like these that make people too lazy to read through all the pages of garbage and start asking questions that already have answers to them.

The way I see it: if you don't have anything helpful to say, don't say anything at all. (no)

since I am now being a hypocrite about carrying on a conversation in a how-to thread, I will stop here. :)

P.S. and to answer your mod question, if you had done a quick search on the forums you would have seen that LinuxRacr and Kooldino are both moderators of the General Tech section. :p

Last edited:
(peep) I'm afraid to even come in here! lol! j/k

I just did this mod last week and it really is an easy mod. Took all of 30 minutes. Everything went together smoothly. I have 2 question's if I may.

1. Does anyone elses pulley whistle a little? (Not belt whine.)
2. Should I reset my ecu, or does it matter?

So far, everything feels great. Seems to have a bit better bottom end.

o.g.sk8er said:
(peep) I'm afraid to even come in here! lol! j/k

I just did this mod last week and it really is an easy mod. Took all of 30 minutes. Everything went together smoothly. I have 2 question's if I may.

1. Does anyone elses pulley whistle a little? (Not belt whine.)
2. Should I reset my ecu, or does it matter?

So far, everything feels great. Seems to have a bit better bottom end.

1. I haven't noticed a whistle. Only think is belt squealing.

2. I didn't when I did mine, but it would probably be a good idea...

Isn't it amazing how much better it pulls in 1st and 2nd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back