How to temporarily disable headlights?

I’m asking about headlights, NOT the daytime running lights) I was at an nighttime event where it was requested to turn off headlights as we drove through a 5 mile holiday lights display. In my 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring, even with the stalk position on Off, headlights remained (much to the chagrin of the car right in front of us). What can I do to override this? (what I assume is a safety feature). Thanks.

if you disable the so called drl function (there is a funky game-like play with some buttons sequence to disable it) then when the switch is set to off its all lights off. (thats for US). Otherwise even when switch is set to off the drls turn on when the car is moving.
Its the 'fancy' Mazda drl design to use the headlights as drl and no easy physical button or infotainment option to turn it off.

Have you tried FUSES?
Try removing low and high beam both, underhood fuse box.

Headlight Fuse.JPG

I’m asking about headlights, NOT the daytime running lights) I was at an nighttime event where it was requested to turn off headlights as we drove through a 5 mile holiday lights display. In my 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring, even with the stalk position on Off, headlights remained (much to the chagrin of the car right in front of us). What can I do to override this? (what I assume is a safety feature). Thanks.
In the night-time event where it’s requested to turn off headlights as people drive through a 5 mile holiday lights display, I’d just turn the light switch to “parking lights” position if I had a gen-2 CX-5 and the headlights and DRLs will be off.

In the night-time event where it’s requested to turn off headlights as people drive through a 5 mile holiday lights display, I’d just turn the light switch to “parking lights” position if I had a gen-2 CX-5 and the headlights and DRLs will be off.
That doesn't sound right. I don't have time to look at the manual right now.

I don't think DRL can be turned off by user for Gen 2. DRL is always ON while driven.
But it can be disabled by a dealer.

I don't think DRL can be turned off by user for Gen 2. DRL is always ON while driven.
But it can be disabled by a dealer.
You’re right (though I did find a jpeg of how, in theory, it can be done (much like how the Hokey Pokey is done. Someone’s Mazda tech couldn’t get it to work… but the service Mgr could. No thanks, Mazda)

I have a 2021. The DRLs/headlights turn on as soon as the car is moving faster than 1-2 mph. If I stop and turn the headlight stock to auto/on, then back to off they will turn off. But as soon as you start moving they turn on again. I'd love to have a way to turn them off completely.

I've done the disable dance. It works, but under pressure it took me a few tries to get it right, pulled aside in the big parking lot line to "Zoo Lights" where the zoo is lit up with Christmas lights (not my idea to attend).

For obvious reasons, they don't want the cars to have their headlights on when people are bumper to bumper there to see the decorate lights.

I re-enabled a day or two later.

Murky, you’re correct.…yrwei52’s suggestion doesn’t work. Headlights cannot operate separate from DRLs once car is moving through darkness
If you turn the headlight switch to parking light position, you gets parking lights on without DRLs even if you’re driving. My 2016 CX-5 is doing this way.

I've done the disable dance. It works, but under pressure it took me a few tries to get it right, pulled aside in the big parking lot line to "Zoo Lights" where the zoo is lit up with Christmas lights (not my idea to attend).

For obvious reasons, they don't want the cars to have their headlights on when people are bumper to bumper there to see the decorate lights.

I re-enabled a day or two later.
Murky, how do you re-enable the lights?

Back