how to paint headlights?

Strata

:
Mazda Protege 5
Where is the How To on that I know it seems to have gone missing to alot if anyone knows another link I could go to with good pictures and a great write up it would be VERY appreciated.

i think they have it on the promazda / protuner (whatever its called) website. i highly recommend doing it. it may seem tough, but it is a very easy job. i have done three sets of lights and havent screwed any up.

did mine today not as hard as I thought
jun11_001.jpg
sorry camera phone

Here's a really abbreviated how to:
1) remove headlights from car
2) remove all black rubber pieces and bulbs
3) remove screws from back of headlight housing except for beam alignment adjustment screws.
4) Preheat oven to 275F
5) place headlight on cookie sheet. (I'd recommend only baking one headlight at a time)
6) bake for 13 mins.
7) remove from oven. remove clear lens from black housing. (I'd wear mechanix gloves as to not burn the crap out of my hands)
8) After clear lens and bezel has cooled remove the screws that hold the bezel to the clear lens.
9) Scuff bezel with 400 grit until surface is uniformly dull.
10) paint
11) once paint has cured (read instructions on paint)
12) reassemble bezel to clear lens with the screws you removed.
13) reassemble clear lens to black housing. (don't use any screws)
14) rebake headlight housing at 275 for 13 mins
15) remove from oven. press lens and housing together. (this is what reseals it)
16) once it has cooled. reinstall all screws and black rubber parts.
17) repeat for other light.
18) reinstall headlights back onto car.

BTW Do this at your OWN RISK. If you do not feel confident you can do it. Don't these lights are 250.00 USD per light. This is how I did it. It worked for me. It may or may not work for you. I will not accept any responsibility if you screw up your headlight. Excercise extreme caution in handling any and all HOT plastic parts. IE what I've given here is just a basic guideline. Be sure to plan out exactly how you are going to do things before you get started. Be sure to have the proper safety equipment for your needs. Some people might find that mechanix gloves don't provide enough heat protection for them.

Last edited:
hawaii I would jump on those headlights, but I have a protege 5 and the MSP and the MP5 headlights are diff..atleast from what I can see they are

still though if you know of a direct link to a working one plz post it, the one from pro tuner is down from what I can see

I decided not to stick mine in the oven, I instead used a heat gun along the seam of the headlight. It takes a little more work, but I just dont like the thought of sticking plastic in the OVEN!

Strata said:
yeah I dont wanna bake mine eaither...where can I get one of these heat guns?
home depot, lowes... get one with multiple settings, just trust me on that

i have msp headlights on my p5. i like them better. i need to get a msp/mp3 front bumper to get rid of the orange sidemarkers.

Strata said:
hawaii I would jump on those headlights, but I have a protege 5 and the MSP and the MP5 headlights are diff..atleast from what I can see they are

I bought the s*** to do this today, started to take off the headlights, and I can't seem to find all the necessary screws to get those fuckers out! Anyone have the locations of these "hidden" screws and/or nuts/bolts??

There's one under the bumper mask I believe. If you remove the two fasteners that hold the top of the bumper mask/grill you can get to it but I personally found it easier in the long run to remove the bumper mask.

I got all the screws out, as well as the clips, but it still doesn't wanna come out. It seems like the headlight is getting stuck on the bumper. Any ideas??

under the headlight on the side of the car is a tab that holds the bumper to the light. you have to pull up then out. i broke one of mine when i did it, luckily, it's a 4 dollar clip

you mean the plastic adjustable support bracket, that sits below the housing? It's got 2 bolts that hold it on. Broke one of mine also, cause I was too impatient to unbolt it first.

mountjonas said:
under the headlight on the side of the car is a tab that holds the bumper to the light. you have to pull up then out. i broke one of mine when i did it, luckily, it's a 4 dollar clip

Back