Repair/replace lower grille on front bumper cover (2016 CX-5 Sport)

Our 2016 CX-5 Sport has a little damage to the lower front grille - the plastic one on the bottom bumper assembly (the part circled in yellow below):

2016-Mazda-CX-5-Grand-Touring-AWD-front-three-quarter-turn-e1468859854343.jpg

But I don't see a way to just order that grille piece. I only see this entire assembly that needs to be painted and installed:

61v866ckcmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Is there any way to order just that middle part - the grille slats - and replace that? Or do you have suggestions on what kind of glue or whatever I should use to fix it?

I managed to crack the right lower corner of the lower grill piece on my 2017 less than a month after I got it. I was trying to get through a snow berm from a state plow that, as it turned out, had frozen solid. All I could find was the piece you show there. It was going to cost $1200 dollars to repair by the time it was painted. My car is white and I chose to drill the end of the crack and use white duct tape to cover it. Not for everyone, but I have no regrets. Your lifestyle may vary.

Our 2016 CX-5 Sport has a little damage to the lower front grille - the plastic one on the bottom bumper assembly (the part circled in yellow below):

View attachment 328445

But I don't see a way to just order that grille piece. I only see this entire assembly that needs to be painted and installed:

View attachment 328446

Is there any way to order just that middle part - the grille slats - and replace that? Or do you have suggestions on what kind of glue or whatever I should use to fix it?
Looks like that piece of grille is embedded with the front bumper. If I were you I’d try a national search to find a used front bumper preferably with the same color. Of course it won’t be easy as most CX-5’s in salvage yards most likely suffered front end damage. Or try some online sellers such as AliExpress or Temu and see if they sell only that piece of grille.

The other problem is finding a used or aftermarket front bumper for your 2016 CX-5 could be tougher as there’re only 2016 and 2016.5 MY produced for that bumper.

If nothing can be cheaply found, you may try to get your insurance to cover the repair provided you have comprehensive coverage. But your insurance premium which is already ridiculously high will go up again if you file a claim.

Finally I may somehow just glue the broken pieces back if you’d picked up those pieces and that’s possible to do it. Or just leave it alone. It’s a 9-year-old car after all. I won’t spend $1,200 to fix this kind of cosmetic damage.

Keep us posted.

Looks like that piece of grille is embedded with the front bumper. If I were you I’d try a national search to find a used front bumper preferably with the same color. Of course it won’t be easy as most CX-5’s in salvage yards most likely suffered front end damage. Or try some online sellers such as AliExpress or Temu and see if they sell only that piece of grille.

The other problem is finding a used or aftermarket front bumper for your 2016 CX-5 could be tougher as there’re only 2016 and 2016.5 MY produced for that bumper.

If nothing can be cheaply found, you may try to get your insurance to cover the repair provided you have comprehensive coverage. But your insurance premium which is already ridiculously high will go up again if you file a claim.

Finally I may somehow just glue the broken pieces back if you’d picked up those pieces and that’s possible to do it. Or just leave it alone. It’s a 9-year-old car after all. I won’t spend $1,200 to fix this kind of cosmetic damage.

Keep us posted.
Yeah. I mean, the car is relatively new to us. It's my daughter's and it's not noticeable unless you're looking straight at it. I just don't want it to get worse. I may try some epoxy glue and see if that'll hold. But I'm open to other suggestions if people have some experience fixing something like this.

If you don't mind spending a little extra money you should check with a body shop. They can work wonders with cracked plastic. My RX-7 had a crack in the front bumper and they repaired it as good as new. Could never tell there was a crack and it was pretty big.

Used example you could pick up.. if there is a difference that bottom piece that is broken looks the same between 13-15 & 16-16.5

Used example you could pick up.. if there is a difference that bottom piece that is broken looks the same between 13-15 & 16-16.5

Thanks for finding that. I really appreciate it. I'll probably try a simple repair on what I have for now since I'd have to get that, get it painted, and then installed which = $$$. But I'll keep it mind.

Ha, I always thought the front bumpers are different between 13~15 and 16~16.5 CX-5’s ⋯

Back