How-To: Kill Clunk Cheap!!

Its gonna be interesting to see how long these last..a number of us have installed these things. I hope its good news for all of us.

Yeah i recently had mine replaced by the dealer so im not clunking again....YET. So hopefully by the time i start clunking again, those bushing will still be holding up for you guys.

lcruz64 said:
Parts needed:
2 AWR MP3 Urethane Replacement Bushings
They are red not black not sure why they are like that on awr.com
Image #1
4 Home Depot Replacement Bolts (Optional)
Image #2

Tools needed:
Craftsman 3/8 in. Drive Flex Head Ratchet (Recomended)
Image #3
14MM Socket standard length and deep
17MM Socket standard length and deep (Home Depot Bolts)
3" Extension Bar

Suplies needed:
Grease
Thread Lock

You are a wonderful human being for starting this thread. Thank you.
I ordered my AWR bushings using the link in this thread. I got them about 1 week ago, and installed them today. The klunk is gone!!! I rejoice!!!
YYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Matrix said:
You are a wonderful human being for starting this thread. Thank you.
I ordered my AWR bushings using the link in this thread. I got them about 1 week ago, and installed them today. The klunk is gone!!! I rejoice!!!
YYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
hehe that's about the nicest thing anyone said to me in a while.

ANYONE BRAKE THEM YET BUMP?

still too broke to buy these... dam i need to file my taxes already so i can get these AND motor mounts at the same time. then i should be amlost funky noise free!

things to get rid of
Shifter vibrating [ x ]
turkey [ x ]
clunk! [ ]
motor bouncing around in engine bay [ ]
blown speaker [ ]

do you guys mind if i threadjkack while i'm here?
anyone know if the speakers in the back doors are the same as the front? so i can get rid of the backs and install my 6x9's?

I will get the speakers from crutchfield cuz they include everything for free.
Front Door
6"x8" Best Pick
5-1/4" With Bracket

Rear Door
6-1/2" Best Pick
5-1/4" With Bracket

sickspeed94 said:
still too broke to buy these... dam i need to file my taxes already so i can get these AND motor mounts at the same time. then i should be amlost funky noise free!

things to get rid of
Shifter vibrating [ x ]
turkey [ x ]
clunk! [ ]
motor bouncing around in engine bay [ ]
blown speaker [ ]

do you guys mind if i threadjkack while i'm here?
anyone know if the speakers in the back doors are the same as the front? so i can get rid of the backs and install my 6x9's?

Velocifero said:
if ya'll are talking about the loud ass creaking that sounds like rusty springs being compressed, it is from bushings related to the front sway bar, someone told me. Mine is pretty bad in the cold mornings, but once the car is warmed up, no creak. I sucks going over a speed bump and everybody turns to see what that god awful noise is.

I don't have the clunk (thank God) but I do have this creaking noise that's especially worse on cold mornings (usually only in the front too). I've took my car to the dealership a zillion times and they always replaced the bushings. The noise would go away for a few weeks -> months, and eventually come back. Sux.

sickspeed94 said:
crutchfield?
you never heard of Crutchfield? used to be a huge audio catalog, now they are a huge catalog and internet audio and electronics seller. you can usually find the hard to find things on there, like a in dash mounting kit for a '96 Saturn SL2. I couldn't find one anywhere, but found it there.

Larone said:
I don't have the clunk (thank God) but I do have this creaking noise that's especially worse on cold mornings (usually only in the front too). I've took my car to the dealership a zillion times and they always replaced the bushings. The noise would go away for a few weeks -> months, and eventually come back. Sux.
yep, thats what it is, mine is only bad during the winter and Atlanta winters aren't too bad.

i just did this and i must say my car feels brand new. body roll is reduced and the car feels more responsive. thanks for the writeup!

Since the purpose of the Home Depot bolt is surface area, couldn't you just use a washer between the stock bolt and bracket instead?

http://www.**********.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AWR%2DSBB20&CartID=1

They have stock replacements at SU, but they are more expensive + the cheaper shipping from SU = same price as AWR lol

Why isn't anyone mentioning the black bushings from ES? Those are graphite impregnated and self lubricating. I wish I were a black bushing now... mmm self-lubricating

Puckpimp71 said:
Why isn't anyone mentioning the black bushings from ES? Those are graphite impregnated and self lubricating. I wish I were a black bushing now... mmm self-lubricating

Different size?

I just noticed that after a littler research. The right size ID from Energy Suspension is too short to fit our set-up, so we'd either need new brackets or bigger bushings.

Mallard said:
evolv - I would have to agree with everything you said. IMO the Delsing Motorsports rear bracket is the only long term fix you will find. With the bushings located so far towards the center the bar is allowed to bend and flex, which wears out the bushing. IMO it's only a matter of time until your poly bushings do the same.

Sadly, the Delsing brackets are not readily available at the moment. He sold the design rights to me and I will be producing them soon. I have had some delays because of some of the original CAD Drawings that are missing, but I will try to get things taken care of after my regular job. My original goal was to have a run of brackets in Jan, but my new goal is around spring.

I got a 10 year old Skateboard with 65 Duro Poly and they have been beat to Hell with no cracks.

The AWR replacements will cure the clunk & anything aditional to cure that issue is over kill. I can see your trying to market your product, but you should be more like "This is another means to fix the issue" instead of bashing this found cure.

And Stock Motor mounts or rear sway bar bushings are CRAP!!!!!!! How many people have torn rear motor mounts, and what has Mazda done about it? So Evo expecting the Dealer to fix everything is a pipe dream (Yeah they will replace them when they tare, but thats it. You have to constantly get them to do the work while The AWR fix is a one time thing (No need for anything else to fix the issue)

And The Bushings and Mounts will out live the cars warrenty on a daily driver.

Ohh and Mazda Put out a NEW PART to fix this issue it has a Teflon sleeve that is molded to the body of the bushing.

http://web2.airmail.net/theman/protegefaq/tsb/

Anybody Get these?

Last edited:
I have the ones with the sleeve and they squeek worse than stock. I put them in before I got the clunk as a preventative measure.

Back