How-To: Install Mazda6 Wiper Switch Into Protege

Joost27

More Power Made Me Slower
Contributor
:
2000 Mazda Protege ES V6
So as suggested I am putting this into the How-To section. This is a very cheap and easily sourced alternative to the E-Spec Wiper Arm for the Sedans.

Here Are the switches in question.
wiperArmCompare.jpg

Benefits:
Adjustable Speed Intermittent Wiper Mode to replace our one speed.

Parts Needed:
New or Used Wiper Switch From a 2002-2005 Mazda6(maybe later years too, make sure it looks like the pictured one below)

Tools Needed:
1/4" Drive Ratchet
1/4" Drive 3" Extension
1/4" Drive 10mm Socket
3/8" Drive Ratchet
3/8" Drive 3" and 6" Extensions
3/8" Drive 13/16 Socket
Phillips Screw Drivers

Pre-Install:
Make sure that you unplug the battery before starting. Also, make sure you steering wheel is entirely straight(this will help later)

Warning:
This install involves removing the air-bag which could be potentially dangerous, unplugging the battery is a must before starting. As always do this at your own risk.

Clock Spring Warning:
Make sure that the clock spring is centered. It should be able to rotate 3 full turns in either direction. This is important, if you are not centered then you risk damaging the clock spring, which means no power to horn, cruise control, or your airbag, so take extra care making sure it is right.

Before
DSCF0884.jpg

1. Remove the two 10mm bolts that hold the Air bag in place.
2. Pull airbag out and unplug it.
3. Unplug the horn wire from the clock spring
4. Remove the Single 13/16" Nut Holding the steering wheel in place, then remove steering wheel.
5. Remove Cover Under the Column (3 Screws)
6. Remove the Column Top Cover(un-clip from bottom cover)

7. Remove Clock Spring(3 Screws):
DSCF0885.jpg

8. Remove the White Plastic Wiper and Headlight Switch Mount(3 Screws)
DSCF0887.jpg

9. Remove these two screws on the Wiper Switch to detach it from the mounting bracket by sliding it away from the bracket.
DSCF0888.jpg

Comparison of the switches
DSCF0890.jpg

Pins Comparison
DSCF0892.jpg

10. Install Switch into Mounting Bracket(2 screws)
DSCF0894.jpg

11. Install Mounting Bracket and Clock Spring, Plug in the wiper switch and headlight switch plugs.
DSCF0898.jpg

All Done
DSCF0899.jpg

Video Coming Soon....

Last edited:
Yeah finally a cheap alternative for the sedan, the p5 can use the tribute switch i believe but the sedan doesnt have a rear wiper. For once I cant wait for rain to test it out.

do you really have to take the steering wheel and air bag off...the reason i ask is because i swapped my blinker and wiper arm without removing anything but the plastic cover on top and bottom then remove the screws and unclip it ...ive never installed a 6 one in but if its plug and play then you shouldnt have to....but correct me if im wrong...either way im gonna do it how much did it cost for the wiper control

Oh im sure you could have done it without taking the steering wheel off, for me i cleaned up some wires too , and liked having the room, so to save time i took the pictures as i had everything at the time, so I can revise the steps if people want to show how to do it without taking the wheel off. Basically jsut remove the top and bottom column covers off, remove two screws to remove switch, unplug harness to switch and install new switch in reverse order. I'll take pictures and re-do the write-up if wanted.

I dont think youll need to do that....i was just wondering because like me when i swapped out my steering wheel i didnt want to mess with the air bag at all i know theres people like me who dont want to mess with certin things so i had someone else do it...but if your gonna clean around the area then yeah take it all off...i saw all the crap under there someday ill take it all apart and clean it
but its a good write up man cant wait to hear how it works

Well as you may know I'm not really afraid to touch anything on my car, and with the airbags, if the battery is unplugged there is almost no way for them to go off, the only chance would be static shock jumping between the pins, and that is unlikely. But, I completely understand where people are coming from, that's a lot of force to have pointed at you while taking it off.

Oh and the switch cost me $28shipped from ebay used

Last edited:
I should note that it is only cheaper if you buy it used, its $150-$230 new from what I have seen, but from what I have also seen is that they pop up on ebay for cheap all the time, and also you could get one from a junkyard or part out.

First, Thank you for posting this! I had looked into the Mz6 wiper a while ago but I could find a good enough picture to tell if it was the same. I used to have the E-spec wiper switch and it was awesome! I was really upset when the stalk snapped on me.

You definitely did the install the hard way! For anyone else who would like to do the install here is the easy version

Tool(s) needed: Phillips screwdriver(s) (#2 and possibly #1)

1) Remove the three screws from under the steering column
2) Separate (by hand) the upper and lower steering column covers ** Be careful of the wire on the upper cover for the ignition switch light **
3) Unclip the connector from the bottom of the wiper switch
4) Remove the two screws (#1 Phillips?) that hold the wiper switch in.
5) Slide the switch out

As always: Installation is the reverse of removal ;)

Thanks again Iukekini

no problem lol, and as stated before I also was tidying up wires left over from the motor swap so I had the wheel off to give me room anyways, but yes there is a very easy way thanks for adding

I performed this easy mod on my msp but do I need a different relay or something? I don't have the ability to select my speeds with the rheostat.

It was a direct swap in my car, other then the new wiper stalk nothing was needed.

can you post pictures of what you have? and also do you have the wipers set to intermittent before trying to adjust speed?

Just did this today, but no need to remove the steering wheel at all. Just remove the top and bottom covers on the colom, and un screw the two screws holding the switch in place, slide out disconnect and reconnect new switch and that's it.

Great write-up, but as others have mentioned, there's no need to remove the steering wheel. I pulled the Mazda 6 wiper stalk at a junkyard for $10 and installation took 15 minutes.

I think this post may have just made my day. Driving home from work yesterday in traffic was almost made unbearable because of the rain, and having to flick my wipers on and off every ten seconds. There's nothing worse than having to decide if you prefer semi visible roads, or suffer the screech caused by wipers that are more enthusiastic than the rain.

Back