How to I make a backup Navtek SD Card?

:
ss
How do I make a backup SD NAV card in the event my original card get's lost or dies.

The Mazda Toolbox allows you to backup the SD card contents to a file but the file can only be restored to the original SD card. That won't do any good if the original card dies. I'd like to make a spare card just in case mine dies or gets lost.

From what I read, the older Tom Tom systems allowed a fresh new card to be married to the car's VIN and then could be backed up.

How do I accomplish this with a NAVTEK card?

Doing a simple file copy old to new apparently makes the copy an invalid card.

Has anyone successfully backup up to a spare SD card vs a file?

Thanks.
It looks like reading and writing an image of the SD card makes a valid copy. Simply copying and pasting the actual files doesn't work. I'm sure there's probably a hidden file with the VIN attached to the card that copy and paste doesn't find.

If you use TomTom Home application on your computer, it has a menu item to create (and restore) a backup of your card. That's what I recommend.

sorry - is it a 2016 navteq system or a pre 2016 tom-tom one ???

navteq copied to a functioning copy exactly as ulrich and both described - so 2 methods

first of all put the empty sd card into the slot of your system and close it, your system will say, Cannot find cards, open the port and wait till you get the message to remove the card. The system has written something on your sd card. Start Tom Tom Home and restore the backup. This will work.

My system is a '16 Navtek. So far two methods have created a valid backup:

1. Performing an image backup of the SD card and then writing the image to a new card. (simply copying and pasting the card's files does not work)

2. Mazda Toobox works even though it says that the original card must be used. I did a backup, then a restore on a new card and then updated it with the latest maps and it worked. (I'm not sure if the update was necessary for this procedure to work).

I'm using the backup card and have the original safely stored.

Back