CX-5 2022+ Nav Card Cloning for backup

:
CX-5 II 2.5L NA
My CX-5 MY 2022 (2.5 NA, CD) delivered early 2023 has the >10 inch nav display and as such equipped with the MZD Nav latest generation.
Same as my older cars, two CX-5's, I made a backup of the Nav card, by cloning it, so as to have a spare card if the original encounters a problem. Worked flawlessly, and updates of the both cards went allright.
However, unlike my previous CX-5's, this clone does not work and is not recognized by my car, although it is a clone and as such a 100% copy.
Anybody knows what the problem might be?

Well, it is possible as I just found out.
Made a clone (copy sector by sector) with another program and both cards a) work in the car and b) can be updated with the latest cards (5/2023).
I do not know what went wrong the first time I tried.

It is a genuine card. First time I cloned the card "and resize to new space" (the original card is 32 Gb, the new one 64 Gb). Not resizing did the trick.
I do not see why a working amaz*n card would behave differently.

Last edited:
It is a genuine card. First time I cloned the card "and resize to new space" (the original card is 32 Gb, the new one 64 Gb). Not resizing did the trick.
Was not able to update my Amz card, Mazda toolkit said it was counterfeit.

direct sd->iso-> sd works yes. Thats how i backed my oem card as well. But I didnt do anything besides that. I use the backup actually because its quicker card and the Navi loads a tad faster. The oem is in the drawer as backup.

In your case then the resizing probably bugged it, could be the infotainment checks something with size. If you are happy with it dont resize. Not much point anyway.

and the amazon cards, well those are countefeits :) most dont update at all.

direct sd->iso-> sd works yes. Thats how i backed my oem card as well. But I didnt do anything besides that. I use the backup actually because its quicker card and the Navi loads a tad faster. The oem is in the drawer as backup.

In your case then the resizing probably bugged it, could be the infotainment checks something with size. If you are happy with it dont resize. Not much point anyway.

and the amazon cards, well those are countefeits :) most dont update at all.
Ooh, I wasn't very interested in this thread until the part about loading faster. Does it make the Infotainment boot to ready faster, or just faster when switching to navigation?

I never use the navigation, but would love for the system to boot faster, or switch between Android Auto and Mazda faster.

Sadly only the Navi part and its not miracle faster, just the maps are a tiny bit faster ;)
The infotainment itself (the red theme/icon one) is slow by design. It is running on old school mmc chip and the whole hardware architecture is from circa 2010 and before. Mazda never changed that much until 2021 in US. They still use the old one in other countries.

If gen7 vehicle (the black/white theme no icons) the infotainment is better. better hardware

Last edited:
Well, my copy has a reading speed of 200 mb/s. My vehicle is a gen 7. Copy card loads faster than the original.

Back