2021 CX-5 Navigation SD card backup does not work

:
California
:
2021 CX-5 GT
I got one and it works well.

Before I put it in the car, I took a full image (using Linux dd) thinking I could just write the image to a different SD card and keep the original safe. Nope, it does not work. The original card size is 16.2GB, any 16GB sd card you buy is around 15.5GB so the raw image won't fit. I have not tried a 32GB card but it does not matter because it would not work before activation because the card must have the right CID.

I let the card activate and now it's locked to the car's VIN. That's fine, I still have the original raw image and can restore it to the original card.

From what I read I can use Mazda Update Toolbox to update the maps, which I did and worked, and I can also take a backup and restore it on a different SD card that should work in my car (the backup is also locked to the car VIN). I tried that, Mazda Toolbox is happy and recognizes the backup, but the car does not, I cannot get the Nav to work with a backup locked to the car VIN.

Did this change for the 2021 models where backups can no longer be used?

I got one and it works well.

Before I put it in the car, I took a full image (using Linux dd) thinking I could just write the image to a different SD card and keep the original safe. Nope, it does not work. The original card size is 16.2GB, any 16GB sd card you buy is around 15.5GB so the raw image won't fit. I have not tried a 32GB card but it does not matter because it would not work before activation because the card must have the right CID.

I let the card activate and now it's locked to the car's VIN. That's fine, I still have the original raw image and can restore it to the original card.

From what I read I can use Mazda Update Toolbox to update the maps, which I did and worked, and I can also take a backup and restore it on a different SD card that should work in my car (the backup is also locked to the car VIN). I tried that, Mazda Toolbox is happy and recognizes the backup, but the car does not, I cannot get the Nav to work with a backup locked to the car VIN.

Did this change for the 2021 models where backups can no longer be used?
When I used Mazda Update Toolbox for my 21 gtr it asked to backup my card (vin locked) but do you know what pc location it backed up to?

On Mac the backups are in ~/Library/ApplicationSupport/Mazda Update Toolbox/backups If you are on Windows, search for "Mazda Update Toolbox" or someone else may know the exact location.

Maybe copy the files 1:1 to the new card, not image (it has to be formatted in windows first). That's how I copied everything (2018 cx5) on a new card and now I use the new card and keep the oem for backup.

First I drove with the oem for a while to lock itself to the car vin. Then did the full copy of all files and folders as they are under Windows.

I restored via the Toolbox app, if that can't copy the files correctly, I don't know what does. Toolbox is happy with the backup card, Nav in the car is not.
Maybe things changed with the new infotainment system in the 2021 CX-5 and backup cards are no longer possible, part of further locking it down.

Hi - can you actually use ANY SD Card as a backup? Our (to us new) 2015 CX-5 has maps from 2013 and I would to update them, but the update is too big to fit on the original SD Card which is only 8GB.

Can I simply take an image of the original SD Card and apply that image to any other lets say 32GB card and activate that card in the car?

Thanks for any info.

Back