How To: EGR Removal and Cleaning for Rough Idle Fix

i think i've said this before but if anyone wants a used one of these with about 5000 miles on it just pm me. pulled it out when i turboed my car. A lot cheaper than the stealership or Napa

Last edited:
can this be an issue(and fix) on Automatics as well?

I have a used 2002 MP5 with 124k, and it seems to idle in the 300-400 range, while at stoplights in D.

it's not too rough, but there' s little "gurgle" and shake every now and again, and once in a while it drifts from 300-400 up to 600, and it always feels "smoother" when at 600.

Ive pulled and cleaned the MAF, and just run seafoam through the brake-boost vacuum line. (currently, no change yet but nothing got worse)

I have some new plugs to drop in now (going to try some G-POWER BKR5EGP 7090's) and thought maybe cleaning the EGR may help as well....

thoughts?

im not sure if this has come up here yet, though i'm sure it has and i just could find it..if sorry sorry for repeating..but what are the chances of taking the EGR off without damaging the gasket? I want to to this asap but should i buy a gasket first? thanks!

im not sure if this has come up here yet, though i'm sure it has and i just could find it..if sorry sorry for repeating..but what are the chances of taking the EGR off without damaging the gasket? I want to to this asap but should i buy a gasket first? thanks!

I'm still using the original gasket after a rebuild / cleaning, no problems.

One part that I would like to point out about the gasket:

Some have metal gaskets and some have fiber. The fiber gaskets suck and will fall apart when you remove them.

From what I have seen MSPs have fiber and MP5 has metal.

Some have metal gaskets and some have fiber. The fiber gaskets suck and will fall apart when you remove them.

g2k that we have an option on gaskets. Thanks for the info!

great thanks for the info..so am I safe to assume the my protege has a sucky fiber gasket? thanks again

The gasket on my '01 Protege is metal - I just looked and the part # is the same for all 99-03 Proteges, P5s, MSPs, and MP3s, so I would assume that all of the gaskets are metal.

The gasket on my '01 Protege is metal - I just looked and the part # is the same for all 99-03 Proteges, P5s, MSPs, and MP3s, so I would assume that all of the gaskets are metal.

Mine is metal and the oem gasket I just received from the dealer is metal. I only bought it because I bought a new EGR and I was worried about dropping it again during the install. It's hard to find it down there.

367 (mp3yellow

k thx. I think I might do this tonight when I get off work. I just ordered a new header so I might as well make the egr nice and clean for the install coming up. I'll be sorta pissed if I strip a screw tho (bang)

Not bad at all... I've got the egr soaking in carb cleaner right now. Took maybe 5 min to get it out of the car and taken apart from the solenoid. The 4 screws (the ones like cheese?) were set in a little bit but I didn't even use any PB blaster. I was anticipating a lot of trouble from hearing everyone else on here, especially since I'm guessing this is the first time its been removed in almost 9 years. But so far, so good! The valve is already moving A LOT more freely now, it was pretty gunked up so hopefully I notice a little bit a difference in how smooth the throttle is. On that note, by the looks of it, getting it put back in will be much more of a pain than taking it out. And I'm not sure I should even mess with the Idle control valve, I don't think I have the proper torx wrench needed anyways it sounds like.

*Edit: Just finished, it idles real nice now... Just took it for a quick test drive and it feels/sounds great. Nice write up!

Last edited:
sub

OH HEY???? Canada has a different EGR valve? Maybe that doesn't suck as bad as our USA version. Does anyone know the difference???

The specifics are posted in this thread a ways back... But basically it's got some extra stuff that helps it burn off the carbon deposits from the exhaust manifold so it doesn't build up as bad.

Just cleaned my EGR valve.

fixed these problems:
sporadic idle
Dip in RPMs when clutch depressed

And btw, to read the gauge under 1000 rpms;
0 = 0
first heavy black line = 500
each line after that is + 100

so its:

What is an IAC, and how do you clean it??

Anything else I can clean?

I cleaned my egr valve by soaking it for about 5 minutes and scrubbing it with a tooth brush (though it was hard to get deep in there)
Is that 'good enough' of a clean? or should I have been more through?

baa, lol ima just buy me a new one and put that sucker on. lol, though its sounds easy to clean it, but the hassle isn't worth it for a new one and not have to worry about it for a few years.

Back